UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 18th Apr 2020, 1:10 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Home built power supply on the cheap.

I have had it in mind for some time to build a power supply for an early Columbia radiogram. It needed two volts DC, 2x grid bias, and HT which ended up at 145 volts.
All the main parts were from my junk boxes, the case was a screening can off something! the chassis is a piece of thin aluminium screwed to a piece of ply, this makes assembly easy.
The heater and bias tx was a 14v with centre tap, I was able to separate the two wires on the centre tap giving me two separate 7 volts. The rectifiers are a bit ott, but there were two on the panel and smoothing caps, just the job.
Two 10k presets were wired across the bias supply, giving me 0 to 9 volt adjustable. I think the larger of the two TX's was from a scrap Fergi t/v.
The radio chassis was repaired some time ago. Mick.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0021.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	203287   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0022.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	203288   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0023.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	203289   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0024.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	203290   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0026.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	203291  

Old 19th Apr 2020, 9:09 am   #2
Kevin Hoyland
Heptode

Default Re: Home built power supply on the cheap.

Morning Mick.
As always mick first class workmanship it's a long time since I was in your workshop and looking at your collection of valve/tube radios lots of them from the US.
Keep the good work up.
Kev.

Ps do you still have your collection of Catalin radios.
Old 19th Apr 2020, 9:42 am   #3
vinrads
Dekatron

Good morning Kev thank's for the kind comments, I still have the Catalin ones plus a few more small transistor radio's about fifty plus , It seems to be a good day to look for the dial I had made for the Columbia ,now where did I see it last , Keep safe. Mick.
Old 19th Apr 2020, 8:26 pm   #4
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Mick, nice re purposing. A good source of the transformers was older video recorders that used non SMPS devices with at least 5 different secondaries

Ed
Closed Thread