UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2020, 8:23 pm   #1
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Default RS Audio Transformer

I ordered some items from RS a while ago including one of these transformers. It’s been stored away for a while but I dug it out again today. Although it was advertised as an audio transformer I have a feeling that I read somewhere since that these are not in fact suitable for audio purposes on account of the laminations? I’m not sure what I should be looking for and don’t want to use it if I am likely to cause any damage. Any advice would be gratefully received.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080757.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	208054   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080758.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	208055   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080759.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	208056  
Old 8th Jun 2020, 9:31 pm   #2
AdrianH
Octode

Default Re: RS Audio Transformer

Interesting, there is a spec sheet on oep's web pages under output transformer, looks as though 3.5 Watt max output single ended, max 40mA. Looking at the graphs certainly looks as though it wants to be used at higher input impedances 10 K input to 4 Ohms seems to be the best audio response otherwise it seems to drop quite rapidly above 3KHz. Which I guess if replacing a valve output transformer on an old am radio will be OK?

Adrian

http://oep.co.uk/page-content/datash...0issue%207.pdf

Last edited by AdrianH; 8th Jun 2020 at 9:33 pm. Reason: Link to the pdf
Old 8th Jun 2020, 9:59 pm   #3
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianH View Post
Looking at the graphs certainly looks as though it wants to be used at higher input impedances 10 K input to 4 Ohms seems to be the best audio response otherwise it seems to drop quite rapidly above 3KHz.
http://oep.co.uk/page-content/datash...0issue%207.pdf
You need to look at the vertical scales on those graphs, confusingly they are all different.
The ones that look bad are actually a lot better than they appear at a casual glance! It's just that they have used expanded scales.

Look at the -3dB points on each graph for a proper comparison.
Old 8th Jun 2020, 10:09 pm   #4
AdrianH
Octode

You are correct, why they do that!

Should be reasonable for the am radios then.

Adrian
Old 8th Jun 2020, 10:17 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Nothing wrong with them as output transformers as long as you know their limitations. 40mA rather restricts their use except in small to average sized radios.
Old 8th Jun 2020, 10:34 pm   #6
McMurdo
Dekatron

ISTR fitting one of those to a Bush DAC90A

Last edited by McMurdo; 8th Jun 2020 at 10:36 pm. Reason: added the 'a' at the end
Old 8th Jun 2020, 10:49 pm   #7
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Thanks folks, that's very useful.

I can't find the reference to it now but I seem to recall that the laminations are not separated?? and can cause overheating?

If they are optimised at higher input impedance I wonder if they would be suitable for battery sets?
Old 8th Jun 2020, 11:28 pm   #8
trobbins
Heptode

SE operation at 40mA idle through total primary will dissipate 1.5W - so it will certainly get warm, but I doubt it would overheat or cause overheating, but that does depend on how it is thermally located.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 12:52 am   #9
Herald1360
Dekatron

I just pulled open the clamp on one of these- it's true that the laminations are interleaved, not butted and gapped. Presumably at the low DC involved they get away with not saturating the core (too much?).

Certainly small mains transformers make usable cheap bodge replacements for dead output transformers in low power applications.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 9th Jun 2020, 6:13 am   #10
Radio Wrangler

The 40mA limitation will most likely be due to saturation.

Doing a quick check it looks like the low frequency cutoff is around the 100-150hz mark for the high anode load impedance settings in the data sheet, but the bottom one on the table (5k) looks more like 500Hz. Those graphs look like they were measured with a low-Z signal source into the anode windings chosen, which extends the low frequency cutoff a lot.

One of those transformers where triodes will give less gain, but also more bass. Ever wondered why some people like output triodes more than pentodes with no feedback? The reason isn't fairy dust.

David
Old 9th Jun 2020, 9:20 am   #11
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
I just pulled open the clamp on one of these- it's true that the laminations are interleaved, not butted and gapped. Presumably at the low DC involved they get away with not saturating the core (too much?).

Certainly small mains transformers make usable cheap bodge replacements for dead output transformers in low power applications.
Thanks, yes, this is issue I was concerned about - core saturation. Does this cause any damage/strain or does it simply impair performance or sound quality?

I suppose in simple terms is it worth hanging on to the transformer and I guess a proper rewind would be the way to go?

Visually, when examining a transformer what should I be looking for? (idiots guide)

Thanks!
Old 9th Jun 2020, 10:09 am   #12
Station X

I must have used half a dozen of those transformers over the years to replace faulty transformers in valve radios. They work absolutely fine, but sometimes it's necessary to increase the value of the cathode resistor to get the anode current below 40mA.

I think it's exceedingly fortunate that these transformers are still available.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/audio...rmers/2106475/
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 0900766b80473a76.pdf (36.0 KB, 70 views)

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 8:29 pm   #13
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Possibly no need to rewind, but removal of the lams and stack them with a 2 to 4 thou gap (1 layer of elect tape)

Ed
Old 9th Jun 2020, 8:57 pm   #14
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_Dinning View Post
Possibly no need to rewind, but removal of the lams and stack them with a 2 to 4 thou gap (1 layer of elect tape)

Ed
Thanks Ed, I didn't want to ditch it if it was of any use. I'm a bit wary of taking it apart though, where would the tape need to go exactly? (excuse my ignorance)

From the comments received it sounds as if it could be used for a small radio where sound quality is not a major issue?
Old 9th Jun 2020, 9:04 pm   #15
Radio Wrangler

You would have a stack of all E lams with the nobbin on them, and a separate stack of all I lams. The spacing tape would go between the Es and the Is.

It will drop the inductance fairly significantly but put up the DC current possible before saturation sets in.

David
Old 9th Jun 2020, 9:22 pm   #16
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio Wrangler View Post
You would have a stack of all E lams with the nobbin on them, and a separate stack of all I lams. The spacing tape would go between the Es and the Is.

It will drop the inductance fairly significantly but put up the DC current possible before saturation sets in.

David
Thanks David, I'll try taking it apart, I've nothing to lose!

So presumably it will work up to a point before saturation sets in?

And what effect (presumably negative) does saturation have?

Sorry about this, i really must do some bedtime reading on transformers
Old 9th Jun 2020, 9:56 pm   #17
m0cemdave
Octode

I'd leave it as it is, assuming you aren't going to put more than 40mA through it. Reducing the inductance will lose some of the bass response.
Old 9th Jun 2020, 10:11 pm   #18
Half a Mullard
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0cemdave View Post
I'd leave it as it is, assuming you aren't going to put more than 40mA through it. Reducing the inductance will lose some of the bass response.
Thanks, I think I will. According to the Trader sheet the Bush DAC90a draws 27.5ma anode current and I imagine most small radios will be around a similar level. So the consensus seems to be as long you don't exceed 40ma it should be OK.

I will do some research into transformer theory though!
Old 9th Jun 2020, 11:48 pm   #19
McMurdo
Dekatron

Here's mine with the OEP transformer.
Difficult to tell from a vid clip but it goes very loud before distortion, and that's with a speaker I rebuilt rather dodgily using a scalpel, sandpaper and glue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jvOxhHKYOQ
Old 10th Jun 2020, 3:44 am   #20
Radio Wrangler

Difficult to say with other variables kicking around like the speaker, microphone and recording, but it does sound a bit light at the bass end, which I'd expect from the winding inductance values. Makes it sound nice and clear on speech, though.

Running closer to saturation with a single-ended output stage will give higher levels of even-order harmonics. Push-pull stages tend to cancel even-order terms and leave mainly odd-order harmonics. This is the probable reason behind why some people prefer single-ended hifi amplifiers.

David