UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 10th Jun 2011, 1:24 am   #1
Ian McInnis
Diode

Default Goodmans Maximus wire connectors Which is which?

My Vintage Goodmans Maximus 1 speaker connections are not labeled +/-. Can anyone tell me if this matters? And, if so, which is which?

They'll be going to a Goodmans 110 receiver with two-pin DIN connectors (though, I'd like to switch those out).

They are arranged left and right. Screw-post knobs are not color coded.

Ian
SF, CA, USA
Old 10th Jun 2011, 7:00 am   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Goodmans Maximus wire connectors Which is which?

As long as you wire up the two speakers identically to each other, it does not matter. It's AC anyway. As long as the same signal sends both cones in the same direction, it will work.

If the connections to one speaker are reversed, you will get a "thin" sound as one cone tries to cancel out the other, but no lasting damage will occur.
Old 10th Jun 2011, 10:09 am   #3
Tractorfan
Nonode

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Goodmans Maximus wire connectors Which is which?

Hi,
Yes, the two speakers must be 'in phase', as AJS has said. In the past I have checked speakers by touching a 1.5volt flashlight battery across the speaker terminals. One way round will make the cone pull in, the other way round will make it push out. Whichever post the battery positive was on when the cone pushed out can be marked with a bit of red tape.
Do this for both speakers and they will then be in phase when connected to the amp.
Hope this helps.
Cheers, Pete
Old 10th Jun 2011, 5:06 pm   #4
Ian McInnis
Diode

Great to know about the battery tip! Looks like a 9v battery will span the distance between poles nicely. Would 9v be too much?
Old 10th Jun 2011, 5:33 pm   #5
Paul Stenning
Administrator

9V will be OK though 1.5V is better. Connect it only very briefly (less than a second).

The wire may have a moulded ridge along one edge which is usually positive. As others have said though the actual polarity doesn't matter but both speakers must be connected the same way around. So if there is a ridge on the cable use it for positive on both speakers and you'll be fine.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Committee Member
Closed Thread