UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 4th May 2005, 9:23 pm   #21
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: belts again! (Philips 4307/8)

Keep this on-topic please gents....

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 4th May 2005, 9:31 pm   #22
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
Keep this on-topic please gents....
Understood ... and apologies. Please forgive a newbie. Lesson learned.
Regards
Gavin
Old 11th May 2005, 3:26 pm   #23
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Gavin, Its strange how the pinch wheel in my 4307 is in as new condition as are the rubbers, on the two nylon idlers that the big belt goes around. can only assume that philips used a different type of rubber on these items I must admit that having completed restoration on my 4307 the sound quality is appaling. This is using the machine as a through amp feeding a C.D. player into
the line in, so its down to the limitations of the amp and speaker. Havnt heard it with a reel of tape yet, as my reels are presently in Leeds, and i am waiting to pick them up. But is bound to sound even worse than with a line input. I think its just a case that i am used to listning to separates.
Old 11th May 2005, 8:08 pm   #24
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Keith
Hi Gavin, Its strange how the pinch wheel in my 4307 is in as new condition as are the rubbers, on the two nylon idlers that the big belt goes around. can only assume that philips used a different type of rubber on these items .
I think that's a blessing in disguise, I think I would rather replace the belts than pinch rollers
Old 11th May 2005, 11:19 pm   #25
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: belts again! (Philips 4307/8)

Hi Reel to Reel Man, I fully agree and i suspect that new pinch rollers would be harder to find than new belt sets
Old 12th May 2005, 4:17 pm   #26
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavtech
In researching belt suppliers I have found that Cricklewood Electronics have a wide range { four pages worth } at very decent prices: 25p and 50p respectively for the two sizes of belt required.

see Belts at Cricklewood Electronics

I measured the length of the main flywheel belt as 270 mm { i.e. 86 mm diameter } and the lighter guage tape counter belt as 300 mm long { i.e. 95 mm diameter}
The belts are so cheap I intend to get a few around each size .
I will report back when they are obtained as to which appears to work best.

I intend using a 2mm belt for flywheel and a 1.2 mm belt for the counter.

Nobody has mentioned what the actual specified size should be. Does anyone know?
Erm.... Silly Me! I quickly opened up this machine and only checked the bottom of the deck... I did not remove the top plate and discover the other two belts ... I have now [ Doh! ]
As yet I have not measured up for those belts , but the main heavy gauge belt that goes around the motor, drive transfer jockey, and the fast reel idlers is enormous! It is bigger than any suppliers belts I have seen so far... so I guess it might be a 'cut and glue' job as recommended elswhere in this thread.
I shall report back the measured sizes.

Just as an aside , this machine had done an interesting thing. At first it looked like there were 5 belts in all ... But at some time, the motor had been started and the large main belt had stuck to the pulley , dragging the belt in then neatly twisting it off, re-tying both ends of the belt so it appeared there were two complete heavy guage belts.

In cleaning up the mess from the old belts, I have been trying 'Chewing Gum Remover' available from Screwfix, instead of the usual solvents . I have to report that it seems very effective: It is quite pleasant to use, is not over volatile and therefore does not over-dissolve the rubber or evaporate too quickly, and so cleaning up is not such a dirty job. I have only done the bottom of the deck so far ... but my hands have stayed clean.

I have obtained a few belt sizes and I can now report that for the bottom of the deck these belt sizes work fine:

Flywheel to Drive transfer pulley: 2 mm Square belt, 86 mm Diameter

Tape Counter belt: 1.2 mm Square belt, 90 mm diameter.

I obtained both of these belts from Cricklewood Electronics at 50p and 25p repectively.

Gavin
Old 12th May 2005, 4:32 pm   #27
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: belts again! (Philips 4307/8)

If you require a new main belt, then Colin Braddock tape recorder centre mentioned earlier in the thread sells the complete set of belts for the 4307/4308 for £18.50 and will post them out to you within 24 hours. A bit dear i know but if you only want the main one, i am sure it should be a fare amount less. He is based in Blackpool.

His number is 01253 345049.
Old 12th May 2005, 4:57 pm   #28
Gavtech
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew_Keith
If you require a new main belt, then Colin Braddock tape recorder centre mentioned earlier in the thread sells the complete set of belts for the 4307/4308 for £18.50 and will post them out to you within 24 hours. A bit dear i know but if you only want the main one, i am sure it should be a fare amount less. He is based in Blackpool.

His number is 01253 345049.
Thanks muchly for that Andrew - I shall look into it.

Can I also direct a question to NicktheDentist Re: Belts at CPC.
On investigating the CPC website, there is no information there about actual belt sizes. There just appears to be a small range of Machine specific belts.
Am I looking in the wrong place?

Thanks
Gavin
Old 18th May 2005, 1:14 pm   #29
Duke_Nukem
Octode

Default Re: belts again! (including Philips 4307/8)

Thread continues in another direction which you can find here.

TTFN,
Jon
Closed Thread