UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Feb 2013, 12:07 am   #1
Zelandeth
Heptode

Default Psion Series 5 Backlight Fault

Was hovering over whether this should really be in here or under modern technology...but it's honestly long enough obsolete at this point that it basically is vintage to my mind.

Mods, if you feel differently please accept my apology and relocate this as you feel appropriate.

I picked up a little Series 5 yesterday, basically on a complete whim because it was a fiver in Cash Converters and I remember coveting them terribly when they were new - however at the age of 12, suffice to say they were rather out of my reach at the time!

Everything seems to work perfectly on it (it's even free of duff-screen disease that seems to plague these machines) with the exception of the display backlight.

This is an EL panel in these if my research is right, and the inverter appears to be running (using an AM radio to listen for "whine" from it), but there's no sign of light at all on the screen.

Does anyone have any idea whether this is likely to be a broken contact or something, or if the panel itself is likely to have failed over time?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	psion-small.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	76598  
Old 23rd Feb 2013, 8:16 am   #2
terrybull
Octode

Default Re: Psion Series 5 Backlight Fault

I have had a number of psion's and almost certainly it is a problem with the ribbon cable. Do a google search. It is a common fault and they are available and it can be repaired. Using the backlight they eat batteries so unless you run it from a mains adapter the backlight is best avoided.

Last edited by terrybull; 23rd Feb 2013 at 8:22 am.
Closed Thread