UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Nov 2012, 1:21 pm   #1
david.partridge
Tetrode

Default Amstrad 3" floppy disks

I have a whole lot of used 3" floppy disks as used by the PCW and (I think) the CPC. I've been asked to sell by a friend (if anyone wants them that is). The contain data/software which I will have to trust the buyer to delete.

However I have no clue what to ask for them ...

Guidance is sought!

Thanks
Dave
Old 20th Nov 2012, 2:06 pm   #2
julie_m
Dekatron

Default Re: Amstrad 3" floopy disks

Amstrad floppies should be fine to stick through a Weircliffe. They're just smaller versions of 5.25 inch disks with a stronger enclosure, and there's no pre-stored magnetic information to be lost. I seem to remember that for some combination of past and future track configurations (reformatting 80 tracks on former 40 track disks?), that treatment actually improved reliability.
Old 20th Nov 2012, 4:00 pm   #3
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Hi Dave, these frequently appear on a well known auction site, in the computing/vintage section.

Suggest you watch how some sell there, to get an idea of their worth.

Never heard of a Weircliffe before today, let alone seen one, so you may just have to trust the buyer.

Good Luck - Mike.
Old 20th Nov 2012, 5:25 pm   #4
julie_m
Dekatron

This is the sort of machine I'm talking about. Push down the gate with one hand, to turn on the electromagnets; move your disk, cassette or reel of tape around inside the cavity with the other hand, withdraw and close. Your media is now as blank as it was when it left the factory. The BBC used to use these machines before reclaimed tape (the reclamation machines searched for dropouts and bad splices by recording a signal on the tape and trying to play it back, all at over a metre a second -- this tested the mechanical integrity of splices as well as the neatness ) was re-issued for use on Uher portables (which took only a 13 cm. spool). The Uhers actually had a proper, AC energised erase head, but really clean tape never hurt.
Old 20th Nov 2012, 9:56 pm   #5
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajs_derby View Post
They're just smaller versions of 5.25 inch disks with a stronger enclosure.
The superficial similarity to 3½" discs is even greater - though obviously not compatible.

There is a discussion about erasing 3" floppies in this thread.