UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Apr 2010, 6:27 pm   #1
Tweeter
Retired Dormant Member

Default (Edinburgh) 50/60s players for the manually incompetent

Hi all, first post. I've been bitten with the bug of wanting a good-looking and capable record player from the 50s or 60s, and spent a lot of time reading here, including the threads recommending specific models for sound quality - very useful. Main interest will be 45s and some 78s.

My problems is that I'm not electronically competent, or really much of a repairer. I suspect my limits will be undoing a couple of screws and applying a bit of oil. I see a lot of reconditioned and service players on Ebay, but the prices seem generally very high (£100-300) and of course the quality of restoration isn't proven.

Is it possible to find trustworthy and reasonably priced enthusiasts locally who would service a player for the love it and a reasonable fee? I'm in Edinburgh if there happens to be anyone locally. If not, suggestions about how to find one?

My current fad is a PYE 1005 Achoic - although I've read of several problems with them already here (the butterfly cartride tracking, placement etc). I'm wondering if getting a reliable Achoic is just beyond someone who's not likely to be able to have the skills/time to service and fix it?
Old 5th Apr 2010, 9:33 pm   #2
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: (Edinburgh) 50/60s players for the manually incompetent

Hi and welcome,

The 1005 has the advantage for someone such as yourself of being a transistorised effort, meaning that beyond the mains transformer and related gubbins it's all low voltage. I say that because, with any vintage equipment, you'd be well advised to learn at least something about repair and maintenance of these equipments. It's fine acquiring something that's been overhauled but, sooner or later, something may go wrong and you can't trot down to your local repair shop with it anymore. The days of being able to do that are, by and large, history.

The deck on the 1005 is, or should be, a bog standard BSR UA15...with the exception of the cartridge as you've deduced. These cartridges are difficult to replace now (unless anyone knows differently) but the stylus is still available. Beware the little red knob and associated spring though; the former fractures and can go missing, the latter just goes missing.

Record players, compared to radios, are simple machines electronically. The 1005 is, in one sense, no different. There's just much more of it due, largely, to the multi-speaker arrangement and associated circuitry.

Be aware, too, that the 1005 isn't a portable machine. You can't even secure the lid, so it needs a permanent home on a table, sideboard or wherever.

One possible suggestion, if you're determined to get a 1005, is to initially acquire any old transistoried thing and familiarise yourself with it and get to understand the circuitry. Once confident, you could then consider a 1005.

If that doesn't appeal, then I suggest something like a Hacker or a Bush SRP-whatever. Given your admitted lack of technical knowledge though, I'd avoid valved equipment at this stage for a number of reasons.

I'd avoid the Dansette trap too, most, but not quite all, of these are overpriced crudities with which you pay for the name rather than anything to do with quality.

On the 'local' matter, well, people local to you will need to comment on that one
Old 6th Apr 2010, 10:29 pm   #3
Norman Raeburn
Heptode

Hi, If you are stuck and don't get an offer from someone closer to you I could take a look at whatever you decide on. I live in Fife, near Leven. Let me know if you want me to look at your purchase. Norman
Old 7th Apr 2010, 11:07 pm   #4
Tweeter
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the replies folks - Norman I've sent you a PM!

Darren thanks for the general advice - I'm picking up more and more as I look through the archives here - a mine of useful information. The Achoic does appeal strongly and I understand it's not a portable - and seem to have shipped with optional Queen Anne style or tapered leg stands. That's ok - I know just where I'd put it Only seem some fairly pricey ones though (£150 unserviced, £300 serviced - wow).

Your advice is sound about sticking to transistorised for now, but I didn't mention that I (foolishly, probably) bought myself a valve player before finding this forum which needs at least mechanical work. I'll post about it separately for clarity!
Old 10th Apr 2010, 8:30 pm   #5
dalgwcobl
Pentode

I think you will find that the changer in the Pye 1005 is anything but a bog standard UA15 and was developed by BSR for Pye (which is one reason why the 1005 was so expensive). The pick-up arm is a one-off design, counterbalanced and mounted on special pivots which include decoupling rubbers. The rest of the unit is, I believe, standard except for the motor board mountings, which had foam pads inserted in the suspension springs to provided damping. The arm should float above the turntable sufficiently for the butterfly assembly to track the first and last of a stack of six records without 'bottoming out' or hitting the top of its travel, with a tracking weight of about 2grams. If set up properly, a butterfly cartridge is pretty good. However, I am having difficulty finding replacement styli for this cartridge (it is an American Zenith design), so its days may be numbered. The Diamond Stylus Co. no longer has stocks; I have sourced one from the US but it is not identical to the original fit, so I may not have found the right one yet.
In short, the special changer is one part of the 1005's design to enable a small unit to provide such a big sound without acoustic feedback.
Hope this helps.
Closed Thread