UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Jan 2005, 8:43 pm   #1
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Smile Emi Tr-90

This machine came all the way from Scotland, it has taken me a good few hours to oil, check and power up, first time on and it tripped the mains (Good job I was using a veriac or it would have done some serious damage) The recorder half works apart from the interconnect box (Cause of the short circuit), I need to get the take up spindle straitened as its been hit sometime in the past, it works but a little noisy. The recorder is almost complete apart from one thing, there seems to be a tension arm missing (Rests on the tape of the supply reel), this could be one of two things, its been removed or it has been converted to a BTR4/2 (BBC specs). Does anyone know of this? I find in the hifi year book that there are models with and without this arm. Also I am looking for a replacement glass for one of the meters as its missing, can anyone help?

Also what vintage is this? the Hi-Fi year book sate its 1957 however the one in the books has more metal work covering the heads but does not have the tension arm like mine, the recorder seems to span from 1957 to 1962 but none of the models look like mine.

Some specs of the machine;

Frequency response from 50Hz to 15Khz @15inch/sec

price in;

1957 £102

1959 £90 6s, (typo? )

1961 £588

1962 £625

Came in consul or portable, took maximum spool size of 10.5 inches, a unique counter unlike any I have come across before, a rotating drum with numbers on it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TR-90.JPG
Views:	322
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	123   Click image for larger version

Name:	Recorder.JPG
Views:	548
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	124   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amp.JPG
Views:	402
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	125  

Last edited by reel-to-reel-man; 28th Jan 2005 at 8:54 pm.
Old 8th Apr 2005, 11:06 am   #2
baldeagle1951
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Emi Tr-90

Hi, I've got one of these as well. Mine doesn't have a feed spool tension arm either. It came from the BBC in Manchester (Dickinson Road) and all three units are 'Machine Number 6'. I also have the original instruction manual (1 cm thick!!) with schematics and circuit diagrams if you need any technical info. It still works and has all the cover plates, but one of the VU glasses is missing and now the needle has gone as well - any spare VU's around??
Attached are drawings from the manual showing the feed spool tension arm, but my TR90 definitely doesn't have one.
I was told my machine was a 1958 model, but I don't know how accurate this is. There are no dates in the manual.
Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TR90amp.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	450   Click image for larger version

Name:	TR90recorder.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	451  

Last edited by baldeagle1951; 8th Apr 2005 at 11:15 am.
Old 8th Apr 2005, 8:36 pm   #3
terry123
Pentode

Yes nice machines these ! Regarding the meter glass, a trip to your local glazing shop with the pattern/shape of the glass drawn through from the rear of the front cover (plus a little extra to allow for the correct fitting/ overlap) should only cost a few pennies. I had to do this originally with the large taylor meter fitted on one channel of my BTR/4. Do not use super glue when refitting. Araldite is by far the best in these situations and make sure the inside of the meter cover is scraped clean of old glue and muck proir to re fitting to ensure a snug, neat fit. 2mm picture (or float glass as they used to call it) glass will do the job a treat!

The machines were in production for a fair time and would suggest a check of serial numbers (IE: low / high)might help determine newer or older versions, bearing in mind that they were not sold in any great numbers and that some were being advertised as new/ surplus as late as the mid 1960's by surplus dealers.

I have some mod sheets somewhere detailing production changes with issue dates etc

You could also try the EMI archive, as they should have docs and info on these machines. Generally photocopy and postage costs are payable for this service. I originally got my EMI "Direct to Disk" recorder info this way.

regards

Terry Martini
Old 8th Apr 2005, 10:02 pm   #4
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

I have got another meter somewhere which I will try and find over the weekend, cant remember if its on its own or in a panel. As for the manuals, Cheers but I also have one as well as a BTR-2 manual and the revision sheets for the RD4/4 as well as the RE321 if anyone needs help.

Old 9th Apr 2005, 1:08 pm   #5
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

Would you believe it!

Just sorted out baldeagle1951 with a meter and guess what I just brought, another TR90 only problem is is that the seller says one of the meters is faulty , he couldn't be pacific, just the glass is smashed . Just goes to show, you can have spares for years and never need them, when they are gone... well, you know the rest

The meter is on its way to you baldeagle1951

Old 25th Apr 2005, 7:22 am   #6
reel-to-reel-man
Heptode

I picked up the TR-90 on Sunday and it has no meter, just remains, does anyone have a meter spare?
Closed Thread