UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Where To Get Sets and Parts

Notices

Where To Get Sets and Parts For discussions about swapmeets, rallies, NVCF and BVWS, car boot sales, antique and charity shops, dealers, newspaper adverts, the local tip and just about any other source of equipment (other than eBay).

Closed Thread

Old 13th May 2007, 10:04 pm   #1
Ian B
Hexode

Default Stockwood Park boot sale

I believe the Dunstable Downs Radio Club open air sale is due to be held on Sunday 20th May at Stockwood Park, Luton. Please shoot me if I'm wrong, I've been to the last 2 and managed to find something worthwhile each time.

Ian Blackbourn
Old 13th May 2007, 10:30 pm   #2
joe
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Stockwood Park boot sale

Yes Ian, I've got it down in the diary for next Sunday. I've usually had some good bargains from there.

I just hope the weather is kinder than it was today.

Joe
Old 13th May 2007, 10:47 pm   #3
Paul Stenning
Administrator

It's now in the forum calendar with a link to here.

Can someone add a link to their website, or some directions and times etc, to this thread to help those planning to visit?

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th May 2007, 7:59 am   #4
Dickie
Octode

Here we are:

http://www.ddrcbootsale.org/

Usually a good event , weather permitting!

Richard, BVWS member
Old 15th May 2007, 1:20 pm   #5
Dr-Watts
Heptode

Unfortunately I'm getting married the day before so I won't be able to come

Or should I say...

I'm getting married so unfortunately I won't be able to come

It's the first one I've missed sinse the early 90's ...

Dave W
Old 20th May 2007, 12:57 pm   #6
Tom_I
Heptode

I've just got back from the DDRC boot sale at Stockwood Park, Luton. What a good event! It's the first time I've been, even though I live just down the road, but I would certainly go again.

There was an enormous variety of things on sale - I bought some components and a couple of Grundig transistor sets at £1 each (and they both work!).

The photos don't really give much impression of the size of the event. The site is completely flat, so there are no raised vantage points. Anyway, well worth going, the sale was well set out with plenty of room to move around, and thankfully the weather was kind.

Tom
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DDRC1.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	9803   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDRC2.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	111.5 KB
ID:	9804   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDRC3.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	9805  
Old 20th May 2007, 4:38 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Hello,

I was there too, arrived at 8:30am - it's essential to get there early as old radios went quite quickly ! Fortunately the weather was glorious as this is an outdoor event. It was easy to find, around a mile from the M1 (NB: exit 10 is not signposted at the moment due to ongoing roadworks) and the limited parking was £2.

It certainly is a big event with hundreds of tables selling just about everything in the way of electronics, including ham and cb radio, old hi-fi, TV and video junk, tons of components old and new, remote control toys, computer hardware and a fair number of valve and transistor radios. There's a pic of my purchases below including a good complete Hacker Sovereign III (£10), an unmarked Bush TR102 (£3), a Dynatron Nomad with an unmarked case (£3), A National T100 for spares (£2) and an exceptionally nice Roberts R77 for £45. Also valves for £1 each, varios OA diodes for 20p each, and capacitors and transistors for 5-10p each. And I was given a wartime bakelite torch !

So a good day out, especially for that Hacker !

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dunstable 001.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	9807  
Old 20th May 2007, 10:33 pm   #8
joe
Rest in Peace

I enjoyed it too, but I thought it was much quieter than in previous years.
Anyway I managed to find a few components I needed and also some memory for my ageing PC, 512Mb for a fiver.

Joe
Old 21st May 2007, 10:24 pm   #9
Top Cap
Octode

Yep, I went and it was much quieter than it can be, a trader friend of mine took £400 when normally he takes £1k. Bought a Coronation Twin at bargain price, always wanted one, it had been re-capped etc and very professionally done too. Always worth a visit.
Les
Old 21st May 2007, 10:46 pm   #10
Sean Williams
Dekatron

I had a reasonable day out there - didnt really buy much - a load of NOS weyrad coils - should be enough there to build a communications receiver, and a good number of high quality coaxial test leads.

Did have a stall as well, although the level of buyers was a lot lower than in previous years - still the usual smattering of valve dealers around first thing though!

Cheers
Sean
Old 22nd May 2007, 5:57 pm   #11
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

I've already restored two of the Dunstable sets, the Hacker RP72MB Sovereign III (s/n 19288) which only needed a clean and a squirt of switch cleaner into its pots, and the Bush TR102, which had two dead AF117s replaced with NOS AF116s, one loose aerial wire reattached, realignment (thanks Ron), and dismantle, clean, reassemble and polish. It was a very good day at Dunstable, total expenditure on these two sets including parts £13.40 and both sets are pristine. I shall definitely go again !

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Dunstable_Sovereign_3.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	9842   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dunstable_TR102.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	9843  

Last edited by howard; 22nd May 2007 at 6:13 pm.
Old 22nd May 2007, 6:45 pm   #12
tvden
Retired Dormant Member

I went and enjoyed it very much, but did not buy a lot just a few components and a few videos and had a nice cup of tea in the museum gardens a very nice meeting and in a very good setting, saw a few members of the forum, on the way back I had to pick up a telly from East Barnett, I lost my cat Furby a few weeks ago in a freak accident and was heatbroken, however next door to where I was collecting the telly I saw another large black cat and it turned out they were looking to re home him I had no cat box and the devil did not want to go in a carboard box the upshot being that I will collect him on the way back from Brighton in a few weeks time, so in all a good day out
Closed Thread