UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Old 12th Nov 2019, 7:57 pm   #21
buggies
Hexode

Default Re: What is it?

No datasheet but this site says 30V

http://www.chipdocs.com/datasheets/d.../BZY95C10.html

Z2A30 30V, 1.5Wt General purpose voltage reference/regulator diode Operational temperature range from 0C to 175C.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 7:59 pm   #22
Skywave
Dekatron

Arrow Re: What is it?

Data from "Radio Valve and Semiconductor Data", Illife, 8th. ed.

STC Zener diodes.
Z2A33CF = 3.3 v. Zener, 5%, 1 watt.
Format: Z2AxyCF = x.y v. Zener
And so on for others in the range, up to:
Z2A300CF = 30.0 v. Zener, 5%, 1 watt.

So on that basis, your Z2A30CF is a 3.0 v Zener diode, 5%, 1 watt

HTH,

Al.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 8:06 pm   #23
buggies
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
Data from "Radio Valve and Semiconductor Data", Illife, 8th. ed.

So on that basis, your Z2A30CF is a 3.0 v Zener diode, 5%, 1 watt
Agree - much more likely than the site I found - especially in battery equipment.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 9:02 pm   #24
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

Quote:
I wish I could find some documentation but I doubt that the calibration house that lists this device would be willing to share....
One can but ask, you never know.
Old 12th Nov 2019, 9:11 pm   #25
WaveyDipole
Octode

Thanks gents for the data on the Z2A30CF.

There is no decimal point between the 3 and 0. The maximum battery voltage is nominally 7.5v - a little over 8v in practice with fresh batteries, so the data from "Radio Valve and Semiconductor Data", Illife, 8th. ed. indicating a 3.0v zenner would seem to make more sense than the 30v on chipdocs. So another piece of the puzzle put in place.

Either way though, the measurement I got across it of 1.1248v does not seem to make sense, unless it is a voltage clamping diode. Will maybe know more when I draw out the circuit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlinmaxwell View Post
Quote:
I wish I could find some documentation but I doubt that the calibration house that lists this device would be willing to share....
One can but ask, you never know.
Indeed I did ask today, but no luck unfortunately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Z2A30CF.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	193641  

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 12th Nov 2019 at 9:26 pm.
WaveyDipole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:40 pm   #26
knobtwiddler
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyDipole View Post
Right-clicking download next to Datasheet (jpg) and 'Save Link As' did the trick for me. That's one piece of useful information returned. Thank you for finding and posing that link.

Looks like the company that made the meter movements, Sifam, is still around, although perhaps no longer in the UK.
Sifam famously supplied the meters for the BBC-certified PPM meters that Canford sold. They used to have a good line of MC meters until the firm got sold a few years back. The PPM-spec meters got discontinued (Canford had some NOS when I last looked) and the rest of the range got moved to 'offshore' production. These new meters are sold by Canford with the disclaimer that they do not meet the IEC ballistic spec for a VU meter, I.e. they will flap around and look nice in your piece of hipster audio, but aren't accurate. From my extensive research I can say that there are probably less than a handful of firms worldwide now who are capable of making the kind of meter movements that were commonplace 50 years ago. If anyone cares to disagree with this sentiment I'd be delighted!
knobtwiddler is online now   Reply With Quote