UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2010, 11:45 pm   #1
The teleman
Pentode

Default PYE V410a ( not a v4 )

Hi Guys , while i was thinking about the problems with my RADIO RENTALS 466 i decided to put it to one side & have a go at a PYE V410a this is a 21 inch wired remote control set purchased from a well known auction site & collected in person from LONDON. phew! what a trip that was . On inspection the set looked to be in prety good condition , The GREEN rexine cabinet shows its age in places ( but don`t we all after nearly 50 years ). The chassis is the well used variant of the v210 & in good condition, the usual wax & hunts capacitors needed replacement this was done in an afternoon . Then came the time to switch on , I left the set on about half the mains voltage for an hour or so to give the electolytics a bit of a chance to reform then applied the full mains , The motor driven tuner suddenly started up & almost scared the life out of me with the whirring & clunking ,appart from that not a lot els happens, no heaters ! this was traced to a faulty PCL84 valve base having broken pin sockets, power up again with heaters this time , The set came to life with what looked like a good bright crt,signal applied via my trusty aurura, no line lock , poor frame lin, low width not bad i suppose for its age , I decided to treat it to a new set of valves, this fixed most of the faults except for the low width & height . This was due to low HT from the metal rectifier , All in all a nice set & i have a remote for it , I watched it for a couple of days without any problems , It was a novelty with the wired remote & the noisey chanel change , Ah well back to the radiorentals set with the hum on frame fault . Cheers, Chris..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001310.JPG
Views:	191
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	36321   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001311.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	36322   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001313.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	36323   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001314.JPG
Views:	196
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	36324   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM001315.JPG
Views:	188
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	36325  

Old 26th May 2010, 12:12 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: PYE V410a ( not a v4 )

Nice set you have there. With the remote too. There were several methods of remote control used, that is one of the better ones.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 26th May 2010, 7:00 am   #3
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Remember these well! !960/61 was a crazy period for early remote control. Pye made many versions of the 410A and was one of the quiet ones.. Ferguson, Philco, Philips. Ekco, Murphy and others produced similar motor designs that were operated by cable, light beams and ultra sonic mechanical hammers. Nice picture. Regards, John.
Old 26th May 2010, 9:29 am   #4
Tazman1966
Nonode

A lovely set there Chris and in very good nick too. What did you use to replace the HT rectifier? Do you have the V210 bog standard version too?
Old 26th May 2010, 11:00 am   #5
murphyv310
Dekatron

Boy do I remember these!
Thats a real nice picture and the set is quite up market, we need to get as many of these 405 line sets going, there may be no money left soon to run the transmitters so you never know 405 just might come back
Old 26th May 2010, 9:23 pm   #6
The teleman
Pentode

Hi Guy`s Thanks for the comments, TAZMAN1966 I have a V220 in green plastic & a PAM804 that uses the same chassis but i am still looking for a V210 & a V210a . This chassis does seem to give good results in all styles, Cheers ,Chris... ps , for the rectifier replacement i used a BY127 with a 20 ohm w/wound resistor in series , this seemed to be just about right to give the correct HT of 215 volts at ht1 point

Last edited by The teleman; 26th May 2010 at 9:28 pm. Reason: forgot to reply to a question
Closed Thread