UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd May 2014, 12:31 pm   #1
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Default What glue to use?

I have a cassette recorder with some thin dimpled flexible plastic type material stuck to each side of the case. At some time where this has peeled back from the edges some one has attempted to stick it back on with evo-stick. This had created a right mess with the glue eating into the plastic surface.I have managed to remove the trim plus all the old glue from the plastic surface.The original glue put on by the manufacturer is still in place on the back of this flexible trim apart from the edges. Not sure what this adhesive is but it is not dry but permanently very tacky. Has anybody any idea what this glue could be, or could they recommend something for sticking the trim around the edges where the glue is absent.
Many thanks for any suggestions.
Mike
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:43 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: What glue to use

I use silicone rubber sealant where the material would be damaged by Evostik.
Old 2nd May 2014, 12:46 pm   #3
FIXITNOW
Octode

I use RTV 3140 silicone but have to tape the parts as it not a fast setter
Old 2nd May 2014, 10:34 pm   #4
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Copydex and PVA craft adhesives are very versatile and don't generally attack materials.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 3rd May 2014, 1:00 am   #5
paulsherwin

I would clear all the old adhesive before trying anything else. White spirit / WD40 and Acetone / nail varnish remover are the first things to try.

Evo-stik and other contact adhesives don't usually attack plastics, but it's always a good idea to try an adhesive in an unobtrusive place before slapping it on in quantity.
Old 3rd May 2014, 7:23 pm   #6
Mike Brett
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the many suggestions. I have been looking in the Screwfix catalogue and found a spray contact adhesive glue. Reminds me of a spray I used to use years ago for sticking photographs in an album. I remember you had to get it positioned just right the first time as it was very strong stuff. It says it is high tack with low viscosity, which is very much like the original adhesive that is still present in places on the material, so I might give this a try.
Mike
Old 3rd May 2014, 11:16 pm   #7
Valve'n'vinyl
Pentode

Hmm. I would try the spray glue on a piece of card first, just to check the spray pattern. I use this on classic cars for the carpets and it is VERY messy stuff , It IS a good adhesive though, just BEWARE as it has got a strong solvent in to keep it "fluid" . When it is sprayed it fizzes quite a bit and runs everywhere. Not easy to clean. I personally would avoid it for delicate work.
Closed Thread