UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Oct 2013, 9:31 am   #21
wireful3
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: S G Brown H1 horn loudspeaker.

Hello Pedro, This is very good news. There is nothing wrong with the speaker. It is quiet because it was intended to work with valves. You will have found that the adjusting screw needs very careful setting to get the loudest sound.

If this is loud enough to hear there is nothing else you need to do. To make it louder you will need a transformer. This will not be easy to find but you could look on the internet for a valve radio output transformer. An easier answer is to use a step down transformer intended to reduce the mains voltage to about 6volts. The actual value need not be exact.

I don't know whether there are any suppliers of electronic components in Portugal but what you need is a very low power transformer. The higher power would work but they cost more. Maplin in the UK have some that would do if they supply to Portugal. If you want to try them, the component worth trying is - Mains Transformer N65JB.

The transformer will have four leads, two intended to connect to the mains and two for the output. To use it with the speaker the output leads (that may be thicker) are connected to the phone lead and the mains leads are connected to the speaker. I have not tried this myself but other people have said that although it is not as good as the proper transformer, it works and is a lot easier than trying to find a valve output transformer.

Regards
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 7:11 pm   #22
RadioBlues
Retired Dormant Member

I bring news!
After a long long time, I've been slowly restoring the brown horn loudspeaker and it's almost finished!
I also made it compatible with normal mp3/mp4 devices so that you can just plug it in and play a vintage-like music.
I have just one question for maybe the ones that also restored such piece or others who might know:

What kindof paint do I need to paint the "BROWN" simbol that's on the horn? (as you can see on the first pictures I posted before).

Regards
Pedro
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 8:34 pm   #23
Mr Moose
Octode

Hello,

The "Brown" symbol is silver if the horn is black like yours.
(If the horn is brown then the symbol is gold)

I think they were actually transfers (decals) but paint would be ok.

Yours, Richard
Old 22nd Jan 2014, 11:27 pm   #24
RadioBlues
Retired Dormant Member

Greetings
Well, I painted mine Black, but apparently the symbol was gold, so maybe it was brown...(although it looked like it was black)
should I paint mine golden or silver in your opinion? (it looks good in golden though haha)
And actually what I was asking was what kind of paint. Any would do?

Regards,
Pedro
Old 23rd Jan 2014, 3:30 pm   #25

When it comes to colours I use what I like, it is mine afterall. https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=65905

Old 26th Jan 2014, 1:36 am   #26
RadioBlues
Retired Dormant Member

another question, is it possible to increase the volume using an amplifier togethere with the transformer?
Old 26th Jan 2014, 1:57 am   #27
Cobaltblue

Hi Pedro

Most horn speakers have an adjustment to keep the "reed" off of the permanent magnet but close to it.

If the reed is stuck to the magnet or too far from it it will be quiet.

Horn speakers are very sensitive.

I am not familiar with the H1 but would suspect the adjustment is behind the horn from the pictures you have posted.

Its also possible that the magnets have become weak.

If this is the case a little Neodymium magnet may restore the performance.

These Horn speakers will always be nasal and tinny but such was audio in the 1920.s but quiet they should not be!

Cheers Mike T
Old 26th Jan 2014, 11:18 am   #28
RadioBlues
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Mike,

Well, I ajusted the reed to make the sound loudest, but still, I believe it could be better.
I suspect, as you said, that it might be because of the magnet. Any advice on how to add the neodyium magnet? do I just "drop it in"?

Best Regards,
Pedro
Old 26th Jan 2014, 12:17 pm   #29
Cobaltblue

Hi Pedro

You can usually get away with just attaching it to the existing Magnet or pole piece you may need to experiment a little.

Make sure that the existing magnets are correctly assembled if there is more than one.

I bought an Amplion that had been restored and found that the magnets had been put in NS SN, instead of NS, NS thus reducing the flux in the area of the diaphragm to zero! and it was sold as working but it was an easy fix.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 26th Jan 2014, 12:47 pm   #30

Try this... https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=65735

Old 26th Jan 2014, 1:13 pm   #31
RadioBlues
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you Mike and Merlin, I'll get right to it and as soon as I have some results I'll post the update.

Best regards,
Pedro
Closed Thread