UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Apr 2014, 9:24 am   #1
threeseven
Octode

Default Removing scratches from Perspex?

The Perspex cover on a record player I'm restoring is scratched, only surface marking nothing severe.
Looking for recommendations on the best technique to remove them or improve them to an acceptable standard.
Old 28th Apr 2014, 10:37 am   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Removing scratches from Perspex?

I've had good results using Brasso and a soft cloth on Perspex (acrylic) including on the lid of a Technics SL-1200 which was quite badly scratched. Just make sure the cover isn't some other kind of plastic first: polycarbonate, in particular, reacts very badly to Brasso. Try on a small, hidden area first, as they say.

Chris
Old 28th Apr 2014, 9:31 pm   #3
kellys_eye
Octode

Yes, depends very much on the scratch depth and even seemingly surface scratches can actually be a lot deeper than you imagine.

I've had success using 1200 grit wet&dry paper used dry (car accessory shops) followed by T-cut. The trick with w&d is to keep the sanding motion circular and low speed. You should be able to sand to a smoothness that doesn't show any marks - te persex just goes opaque to some extent.
Old 29th Apr 2014, 1:55 am   #4
Radio Wrangler

An old trick with fine wet & dry paper is to wet it and apply a little soap.

David
Old 29th Apr 2014, 5:57 am   #5
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Rather like car paintwork; depends on whether you've got relatively deep scratches or just swirls and haze. For the latter, I too have found that T-Cut is cheap and works well (though I don't use it on modern paints). I've also heard favourable comments about toothpaste.

B
Old 29th Apr 2014, 2:28 pm   #6
Junk Box Nick
Octode

An advisory on my last MOT told me that the plastic lenses on my headlights were deteriorating with potential loss of light output. I used the fine wet and dry paper technique going progressively finer and then polished up with T-cut. It was a bit disconcerting at first as under action from the paper the lenses started to look opaque but then the T-Cut brought back the clarity and sparkle.

There is a liquid sold by motor factors specifically to polish up plastic headlight lenses. How different this might be from T-Cut I don't know.

Last edited by Junk Box Nick; 29th Apr 2014 at 2:29 pm. Reason: added word
Old 29th Apr 2014, 2:32 pm   #7
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

As others have mentioned, Brasso applied using a new, clean duster is a good place to start - that's what I've used in the past to 'improve' the Perspex windscreen of a late-1940s racing car.
Old 29th Apr 2014, 5:24 pm   #8

Quote:
the plastic lenses on my headlights were deteriorating with potential loss of light output.
And a lot more glare to others.

Brasso and a soft cloth as mentioned is a good start, aterwards some silicone polish like Mr Sheen does a super job.

Old 29th Apr 2014, 9:25 pm   #9
Courtney Louise
Octode

I am a member on another thread that uses Novus polish. It comes in different grades and is used for polishing Pinball machine tables to a mirror finish..
Old 29th Apr 2014, 10:22 pm   #10
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junk Box Nick View Post
There is a liquid sold by motor factors specifically to polish up plastic headlight lenses. How different this might be from T-Cut I don't know.
Judging by the colour of T-Cut, I've always believed that it's essentially no more than "Jewelers Rouge", i.e. fine particles of iron oxide in suspension. I believe that by the standards of more modern products, it's actually fairly coarse. As per headlights, that's the appllication where I gather toothpaste has proven good; I think most toothpastes have fine powdered silica in them to give them both consistency and cleaning properties.
Old 29th Apr 2014, 10:54 pm   #11
radioman
Heptode

I use Greygate plastic polish :- http://www.greygate.com/product-cate...lastic-polish/

HTH

Andy
G-QRP #12697

Last edited by radioman; 29th Apr 2014 at 10:55 pm. Reason: more detail
Old 30th Apr 2014, 12:09 pm   #12
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Just going to say Andy,Greygate does the stuff used on fighter aircraft cockpit perspex.

Having used it and found to be excellent.