UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Mar 2014, 12:23 pm   #1
Burnet01
Retired Dormant Member

Default Chassis Cleaning

Hi,

I need some advice about cleaning a chassis.
The dust has been removed already. However, the chassis has light rusting. It has been said to remove light rust with White Spirit.
The chassis also has a grey coating. My question is; will White Spirit remove the grey coating as well?

There is some rust as well on top of electrolytic cans? Should I use as well White Spirit here?

Last question, what to do to avoid rust coming again?

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R-1.JPG
Views:	327
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	89869   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0261.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	89870  

Last edited by AC/HL; 6th Mar 2014 at 12:33 pm. Reason: Readability
Old 6th Mar 2014, 12:57 pm   #2
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Default Re: Chassis Cleaning

Are you going to try and do this with the components in place or will you be dissassemble everything? Big question is whether the rust is only in the places where you can see it, or is it also hiding underneath the paint. White spirit is really just a degreaser. I'd say the rust has to go completely by abrasion, or the worst removed by something like brushing and then a quality rust-defeating (chemically active) paint applied; something like Hammerite Rust Beater, but there are many others.

B

Last edited by Bazz4CQJ; 6th Mar 2014 at 1:05 pm.
Old 6th Mar 2014, 1:01 pm   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

A forum search on "rust removal" (search box top centre of window) will turn up plenty of suggestions, counter suggestions and discussions.

One thing...... Aluminium capacitor cans and IFT shields don't rust though they may get corroded, so rust on these should be quite easy to dislodge.

Biggest problems are usually access and preserving markings and remaining good paint etc.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 6th Mar 2014, 2:15 pm   #4
Silicon
Nonode

If you use abrasives to remove the rust (iron oxides) you will create dust which can damage loudspeakers, switches, potentiometers, bearings, etc.

It could be done outdoors with a vacuum cleaner nozzle in one hand to remove the dust.
Alternatively wet the rust with a rust converter and sand it with 'wet & dry' paper or 'Scotchbrite' pads. Wear gloves.

Corroded aluminium is softer and a non scratch kitchen scourer wetted with white spirit would remove most of the dirt and corrosion.
Old 6th Mar 2014, 3:23 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Is this is a Murphy chassis?

Either way, after removing all the dust with a paintbrush and vacuum cleaner and/or an air line, I'd use nothing more than a briusk rub down with an old rag lightly moistened with WD40, followed by a polish with a soft duster with a squirt of Pledge on it.

It won't be like new, but it will be clean and "honest" looking, as opposed to over-restored. Then keep it in a dry place so it doesn't develop more rust specks.

Nick.
Old 6th Mar 2014, 3:37 pm   #6
Radio_Dave
Nonode

It doesn't look that bad to me. I use white spirit to just clean general muck and dirt from a chassis, I doubt it would do anything to rust.

I can't tell if the chassis is painted or plated? Acid based rust removal products will remove zinc plating and could leave you with a bigger rust problem in the future.

David

Last edited by Radio_Dave; 6th Mar 2014 at 4:01 pm. Reason: typo
Old 6th Mar 2014, 3:39 pm   #7
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Looks like grey paint to me, David.
Old 6th Mar 2014, 4:43 pm   #8
Leon Crampin
Octode

Your chassis looks like a Murphy A104. This is a steel chassis painted with stoved grey paint which will not be affected by white spirit. I find this is a good cleaning agent which will go some way towards preventing further rust in slightly damaged areas. It also does not affect materials used elsewhere in radios of this vintage.

Unless you are after "as new" appearance - in which case you would have to completely strip the chassis (something I would never do), a clean with white spirit using cotton buds in tight places is a good plan.

Aluminium electrolytic and IF transformer cans do not rust, just corrode. Brasso or duraglit cleans these items effectively.

If you re-align your A104 (if that's what it is) beware the bakelite IF core adjusting screws. They become stuck in the rusted locknuts and extreme care is needed to free them. Setting the optical SW scale so that the optical magnification matches the electrical bandspread requires several beers...

Leon.

Following a better look, the tuning drive is not right for an A104 - it could be an A122. If so, the optical comments do not apply.

Last edited by Leon Crampin; 6th Mar 2014 at 4:46 pm. Reason: Second thoughts.
Old 6th Mar 2014, 5:14 pm   #9
Burnet01
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for your opinions.

It is a Murphy A122M, (I should’ve said before)
The radio works fine (although I don’t use it, at the moment). So I don’t really want to dismantle everything. I already remove the dust with a brush, and that’s what came up. It looks paint to me, although I’m not sure.
I’m not after “as new” appearance, because it doesn’t look too bad to me, so I’d be happy with a good clean (without bothering much other components), and prevent rust for the future.
Old 6th Mar 2014, 8:12 pm   #10
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

So Leon was right (as usual!).

The rust will have been caused by cold/damp (loft?) storage leading to condensation on the metal components. It's very superficial and won't progress if you keep the set in the house.

Nick.
Old 6th Mar 2014, 10:09 pm   #11
Burnet01
Retired Dormant Member

Leon was spot on, and you were right as well.
Thanks
Old 7th Mar 2014, 3:06 pm   #12
gavinhall
Retired Dormant Member

I take the valves out and put the chassis in the dishwasher, about 40 degrees for 1/2 hour with a tablet. They really come up nice, but if they're really rusty I strip the thing, wire wheel it and paint it with silver spray from Poundland. I've done about 15 or so this way and never had a transformer failure, although cardboard electrolytic covers go soggy and fall off.
Old 11th Mar 2014, 12:20 am   #13
Burnet01
Retired Dormant Member

I’ve cleaned the chassis with White Spirit. It looks the same than before, (the light rust still there) but if I pass my finger it’s clean. All the grime is gone.

This is the state of the of the scale assembly (in the Murphy A122M). The paint easily came off.
What could I do about it? How to stop the paint coming off or get rusty in the future?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0276.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	90074  
Old 15th Mar 2014, 12:13 am   #14
daviddeakin
Hexode

Rub it with wax and don't let it get damp?
Closed Thread