UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th May 2010, 7:04 pm   #21
Station X

Default Re: Weird video in/out connectors on 3V22

I have the same flux and 60/40 solder too, but it just doesn't work on some connectors. The solder just won't adhere to the surface. you have to file it down to the brass underneath.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 20th May 2010, 7:35 pm   #22
camtechman
Nonode

Graham,

I have the same problem with 3.5mm mono & 3.5mm stereo jack plugs and sometimes even a moderate heat soldering iron and being as quick as possible causes the white (nylon) spacers on the back of the plug assembly to melt and thereby loosening the centre contact/s.
Old 20th May 2010, 7:54 pm   #23
a_strong
Pentode

BNC/TNC and "N" type preserve their design impedance to much higher frequencies than the PL259/SO239 badly named "UHF" connectors whose performance is beginning to deteriorate above a few tens of MHz. The N and BNC/TNC also have better weather proofing characteristics than the PL259.

A note for the unwary, BNC and N come in 50 and 75 ohm impedance and the pin of a 50 ohm plug is fatter than the pin of a 75 ohm plug. Whilst a 75 ohm plug will fit into a 50 ohms socket it can give rise to unreliable connections but not permanently damage the socket. A 50 ohm plug into a 75 ohm socket can damage the socket by opening up the centre connection so it is unwise to try to cross breed them

Alan
Old 20th May 2010, 8:00 pm   #24
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,

Drifting further OT, but still relevant; IME many connectors can be fitted more easily, without damage, if they're plugged into a socket first.

This helps dissipate heat from where it isn't wanted and helps hold pins in place should anything melt. I do this as a matter of course with DIN, phono, 3.5mm jacks, some types of 'Belling Lee' co-ax plugs; anything where there's a chance that pins may wander out of alignment if the insulation goes soft.

It also helps to solder quickly with a hot, temperature-controlled iron of adequate power. A 45W Weller 'TCP' with a No.8 bit (800ºF) can get the tags in a connector up to solder-melting temperature much more rapidly than a 15W Antex; heat then doesn't have much time to spread to places where you don't want it.

Cheers, Kat
Old 20th May 2010, 10:30 pm   #25
repairman 1234
Retired Dormant Member

Hi,
Yep, Not an unusual one to me either, Pl 259's. I have this adaptor that changes it to BNC in a very fetching Gold...well, gold plated anyway

Click image for larger version

Name:	20100520_48.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	36106

Click image for larger version

Name:	20100520_49.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	36107

P.S. These were often found in pairs in the old VCR copy lead kits which are still available from those cheap shops....(B&M i think) only a couple of quid for the whole set!
Closed Thread