UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Apr 2020, 5:08 pm   #1
ChasHeater
Triode

Default PLL Problem With Yaesu FRG-7700

Hi All, My ageing FRG-7700 which has been fine for many years suddenly started playing up. I use it for (amongst other things), for listening to broadcast radio. I was listening to radio 4 today when it suddenly lost frequency and the frequency display went from 198KHz to around 700KHz but the frequency was not locked, i'm guessing this is something to do with the PLL but wonder if anyone has had a similar issue? It will be a shame to to lose it after all this time but my knowledge of PLL circuits are limited to say the least. Any input would be gratefully received. Many Thanks.
Old 13th Apr 2020, 5:22 pm   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: PLL Problem With Yaesu FRG-7700

Japanese radios of that era had a problem with trimmer capacitors in the VCO areas getting corroded away by the brown goop they used to try to combat microphony. Try a visual inspection of the different VCOs as a first move.

David
Old 14th Apr 2020, 12:34 am   #3
Restoration73
Nonode

A receiver of this age will benefit from some basic maintenance, e.g. cleaning switches
and controls. The problem could be as simple as the VFO capacitor rotor contacts need
a clean and lubrication. This could be be confirmed if you have the memory unit (option)
fitted, and the frequency entered does not drift off. Worth checking that the MR switch
contacts may need a clean if they never have been.
Old 14th Apr 2020, 8:11 am   #4
ChasHeater
Triode

Thank you both for your replies, I’ll have a look at these areas mentioned and see if anything is apparent. This does not have the memory option but pressing the MR switch does switch it to around 6.85MHz which is stable. Releasing the MR switch, it then reverts to the unlocked state. Unfortunately I don’t have either a scope or frequency counter for calibration, just my trusty Fluke DMM for checking voltages.
Old 14th Apr 2020, 10:47 am   #5
Radio Wrangler

You're definitely heading into scope and counter territory. The logical path is to fix this oversight, then fix the frog7700.

David
Old 14th Apr 2020, 10:52 am   #6
Jon_G4MDC
Nonode

There are 4 bands to deal with in an FRG7700 PLL.
0-5MHz, 6-12MHz,13-20MHz and 21-29MHz.

Is it the same on all of the MHz segments or only on the bottom one 0-1MHz as you have already described?
Please check the behaviour on each MHz segment across the range as what happens will give valuable clues.

Last edited by Jon_G4MDC; 14th Apr 2020 at 10:59 am.
Closed Thread