UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Dec 2004, 10:12 pm   #1
avro
Heptode

Default Cannabilisation

I am moving soon and need to cut down on a number of sets that I have sitting around. I have decided to cannabilise them but what should I keep?

Valves and knobs are come to mind first but is it worth keeping other elements too? Most of the sets I am thinking of disposing of are some Grundigs and a Saba from the 60s as I bought them for spares or at the start of my collection bug. No intention on restoring any of them.

Advice would be appreciated

BVWS member
Old 20th Dec 2004, 10:21 pm   #2
dave_n_t
Hexode

Default Re: Cannabilisation

Avro,

Being somewhat tight-fisted I've taken to keeping a lot from any broken-down set:

wound components (RF, IF coils, output tx, mains tx)
speaker,
valves (+sockets if bolted on)
tuning + trimmer caps;
smoothing cap
hardware (including tuning scales, cord, springs, knobs, etc.)
sockets/plugs (wander, etc.)

The downside of this rather Scoogelike behaviour is that I have a growing space problem!

But I must admit that, unless the cabinet is dripping woodworm, or there's some other overriding defect, I tend to keep the set for 'when I get round to it'.

Perhaps I should have more quickly said: throw out cabinet, chassis, standard Rs and C's!!

dave

Old 20th Dec 2004, 10:32 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I think it's quite difficult to strip a set for spares since you don't know what you'll need in future. This means you need to keep practically everything, in which case it's simpler to keep the whole radio (in the loft say) or at least the chassis.

Avro, I'd encourage you to dispose of these sets to potential restorers or other Grundig / Saba fans. You could ask for a fiver each, buyer collects, or if they're really rough ask for a couple of quid in the charity box.

If you're determined to strip them, then I'd say save valves and knobs but also pots and maybe variable caps if you don't have many of that type, and transformers / droppers and chokes. (See, you might as well keep the radios )

Best regards, Paul
Old 20th Dec 2004, 10:54 pm   #4
SPCh
Rest in Peace

I agree with Paul.

It's easy to dump, but impossible to undump; and you'll always kick yourself later !

If you must dump, keep transformers first; knobs & dials second; valves third; and then anything unique to the model. Better still, get a bigger house/loft/cellar/shed.

Good luck

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 10:38 pm.
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 4:04 pm   #5
mjizycky
Retired Dormant Member

What are the sets you're thinking of taking an axe to (metaphorically speaking)?? I might be interested in the Saba...!
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 6:30 pm   #6
avro
Heptode

I have a Grundig from the early 60's that goes up to 104MHZ, a Grundig 5079, and a Saba Stereo 1. I will probably divest the Grundigs of their valves and may hang on to a chassis (similiar to my 5088) for spares. The Stereo I will lose its valves and knobs as the Freudenstadt is similar.

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 10:39 pm.
Old 22nd Dec 2004, 7:03 pm   #7
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Hello there,
I have canniblised a few sets in my time and I keep everything except the resistors and grotty capacitors.

Earlier this year I had the chassis of a stereo radiogram that had 2 EL84's and 2 o/p transformers and a good mains transformer.
I saved a 19" rack mounting power supply from the bin at work and with a few new panels and a few bits from RS i have now got an excellent home made stereo HI-FI amplifier for around £8

Christopher Capener

Last edited by Jeremy M0RVB; 28th Dec 2004 at 10:39 pm.
Closed Thread