UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2020, 3:00 pm   #1
HowardB
Pentode

Default Ultra R906: Power Supply Mods

I'm finally gearing up to work on my R906, the case is off and it's on the bench now. Just looking for advice regarding the power supply...

Unfortunately, mine didn't come with the original mains plug and someone has wired the mains lead directly to the socket, so if you were to put your hand round the back of the set and touch the pins - lethal!! Obviously I need to correct this, but it's got me thinking. If I'm never going to use batteries, I could wire it so that the Mains/Battery switch (S4) is bypassed.

Also, looking at the circuit diagram, I notice that the On/Off switch (S3) doesn't properly disconnect the set from the mains. When in the 'Off' position, the Neutral is disconnected, but not the Live. The Live feeds through the rectifier and dropper resistors to generate the HT at C20, even when the set is Off. Surely, that can't be right?

I'm therefore thinking of wiring it so that;
a) the Mains/Battery switch is bypassed
b) the On/Off switch properly disconnects the set - i.e. both Live and Neutral are switched before they reach any components.

If I'm correct, this relatively small change will improve the safety of the set, but on the other hand, it will affect its originality.

Does anybody have any thoughts on this?

HowardB
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200310_100507703.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	207740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200604_181636835.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	207741   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200604_183745119.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	207742  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R906-CCT.pdf (169.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 5th Jun 2020, 3:51 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Ultra R906: Power Supply Mods

With S3 turned off, there is no connection to one side of the mains (probably the neutral side), so no complete circuit to the mains. Therefore C20 will not be charged.

That said, a double pole mains switch would be safer. But unplugging the set from the mains when not in use is even safer (switches can break down, I've never seen a mains plug that leaps into a socket...)

Personally, I would keep the set 'as original' with the battery switch and connectors correctly wired up. And I'd probably run it off an isolating transformer if I wanted to listen to it.
Old 5th Jun 2020, 6:54 pm   #3
HowardB
Pentode

Thanks Tony, it's always good to get a second opinion. I understand what you are saying about C20 but I still wouldn't touch it if my feet were well-grounded.
Old 5th Jun 2020, 6:57 pm   #4
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I wouldn't touch any internal part of that set when connected to the mains if I was well-grounded!
Closed Thread