UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th May 2020, 9:47 pm   #1
wireless_john
Heptode

Default Apple Lisa Mouse

I have an Apple Macintosh 512k. See picture.

I was told recently that the mouse isn't a Mac mouse but is in fact an Apple Lisa mouse and when I checked the part number, sure enough it was. I'm also told that it's quite rare and valuable. Not that I want to sell it.

I read that the original Lisa mouse had a steel ball in it but mine has a rubber one. So my question is, does anyone know if all Lisa mice had a steel ball or did some, later on in production, have a rubber ball?

John
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mac512k.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	207262  
Old 31st May 2020, 8:38 am   #2
vidjoman
Dekatron

Default Re: Apple Lisa Mouse

I think all the mechanical mice that I've seen had a rubber coated steel ball. The steel ball for weight and rubber coating for grip. I suppose that it could have just been a steel ball (ball bearings were available) in early models - I've not seen one though.
Old 31st May 2020, 10:35 am   #3
wireless_john
Heptode

No, neither have I.

I read this: 'Unique to this mouse was the use of a steel ball, instead of the usual rubber found in subsequent and modern mice.'

I thought a steel ball would lack grip and maybe it was subsequently rubberised.

Whatever, I'm keeping it because the Mac is useless without it and I haven't got another!

John
Old 31st May 2020, 10:41 am   #4
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

I don't know these machines but I'm struck by how similar the desktop is to that of the Atari ST. I can understand now why the Atari ST was dubbed the 'Jackintosh' (after Jack Tramiel, who ran Atari at the time).
Old 31st May 2020, 11:31 am   #5
Timbucus
Octode

Lovely machine - I cannot believe I took mine to the Skip - sigh.
Old 31st May 2020, 11:43 am   #6
wireless_john
Heptode

Skip! I have binned things in the past and subsequently discovered that actually, that was quite rare and iconic in its way and perhaps binning it wasn't a good idea. I've no doubt lots of us have done that!

My children played with the Mac endlessly, or they would have done if I hadn't rationed it. Now it's the grandchildren's turn, and rationing isn't my problem!

John
Old 31st May 2020, 2:39 pm   #7
Timbucus
Octode

Yes we have - so far my lost inventory includes a TS2068, Memotech 512 and perhaps a worse situation was the use of an issue 1 ZX Spectrum as part of a fancy dress - along with an Amstrad serial port I think...

Click image for larger version

Name:	casborg.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	207303
Old 31st May 2020, 4:45 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless_john View Post
No, neither have I.

I read this: 'Unique to this mouse was the use of a steel ball, instead of the usual rubber found in subsequent and modern mice.'

I thought a steel ball would lack grip and maybe it was subsequently rubberised.

Whatever, I'm keeping it because the Mac is useless without it and I haven't got another!

John
I will have to dig through my collection but I am pretty sure I've seen another mouse with an uncoated steel ball. I think it was a 3-button thing so certainly not for a Lisa or Mac.
Old 31st May 2020, 11:26 pm   #9
arjoll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by wireless_john View Post
Skip! I have binned things in the past and subsequently discovered that actually, that was quite rare and iconic in its way and perhaps binning it wasn't a good idea. I've no doubt lots of us have done that!
Not skipped, but I gave away two Mac Portables, four IBM 5160s,a Panasonic Senior Partner and a Toshiba T3100SX.... regret all of them
Oh and gutted an IBM 5170 to swap in a 486SX motheboard. That one is a particular regret as it had a PGC and monitor - still have the PCG, no idea what happened to the monitor or the rest of the system.
Closed Thread