UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 5th Jun 2020, 5:39 pm   #1
Backtoreality
Hexode

Default Roberts R9921

Around 20 years ago my wife bought me the above World Radio with VHF, MW and 7 SW bands as a birthday present. A few years later it refused to turn on so following the instructions I pressed the reset button in the battery compartment for the required 5 seconds. Everything was reset, the clock the presets etc but the radio was still dead.
Wind on a few years and I bought an immaculate R9921 from an auction seller. Its been great for the last 5 or 6 years until today, when I decided to use it as a frequency display for stations on the MW to assist in the repair of my Hacker Mini-Herald RP17 discussed on another thread.
It would not turn on! The standby button appeared to work the lock button locked the display, the time set button appeared to operate but the power button did nothing. Deja vue ! Pressing the reset button for 5 seconds cleared all the memories, the time disappeared, the presets went too, the lock button still works! The radio will not turn on any ideas?
I remember trying to get into my first one when it died and it seemed to be impossible there are two screws on the back that don't seem to do anything! Searching on the forum revealed I'm not the only one to struggle!
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	188.4 KB
ID:	207749  

Last edited by Backtoreality; 5th Jun 2020 at 5:44 pm. Reason: Forgot the photos
Old 5th Jun 2020, 6:10 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Roberts R9921

I believe this is a badged Sangean.
Old 6th Jun 2020, 12:54 am   #3
Backtoreality
Hexode

It certainly looks very similar to a couple of the discontinued radios on their website.
Old 2nd Jul 2020, 7:37 am   #4
SteveCG
Nonode

Sorry for the delay in adding this to the Forum - lock-down etc.

I did have one of these a few years ago - bought at a car boot. It did not tune properly and the reason was leaking surface mount electrolytics eating through the fine printed circuit tracks and generally impregnating the printed circuit board. It finally died not long after I got it and went to the great skip in the sky. Ever since then I've been cautious buying 'modern' equipment !
Old 3rd Jul 2020, 7:57 pm   #5
Backtoreality
Hexode

Thanks for adding the info! I've managed to open the case of my first R9921. They definitely don't need case screws. It's not easy to dismantle once you get inside either but I'll check out the and caps next.
David
Old 16th Jul 2020, 10:09 pm   #6
Backtoreality
Hexode

I left a set of new batteries in the second radio and yesterday when I got home my wife complained about the radio making a really loud noise like it needed tuning, all by itself! She turned it off. I pressed the power button and sure enough it turned on so I auto tuned and saved the stations on VHF and MW.
This morning I went out to the shop and when I came back it had turned itself on while I was out. What is going on? More than six weeks completely dead and then working again. Is this a sign of dodgy capacitors?
David

Last edited by Backtoreality; 16th Jul 2020 at 10:10 pm. Reason: typo
Old 17th Jul 2020, 12:42 pm   #7
alanworland
Heptode

I bought one of these new when they came out, it was to be my set to take on holiday.
Worked well but very hot on batteries. It's been out of use for years but recently surfaced and, like you do, put some batteries in just to check it out.
It worked fine! Never had the back off but sounds like there could be some conductive contamination where it's not needed?

Alan
Old 17th Jul 2020, 8:52 pm   #8
Backtoreality
Hexode

Well its still working today and I haven't had time to do anything with the first one that I've dismantled so I'm just going to enjoy it while its working and use it to check the frequencies on my Hacker Mini Herald and my Fidelity Rad 27 which have both had major work recently.
David
Closed Thread