UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Old 18th Sep 2019, 3:41 pm   #1001
donutty
Pentode

Default Re: The Audiophoolery Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
OK - the Quantum Noise Resonator. He's had it CE approved, the test house he used exists and the certificate appears genuine. So he plans to sell in Europe.

The UK dealer is selling them at £1090 https://www.audiocomav.co.uk/173-power-conditioners .
From info from the Mini QNR:

"Kanon DTDK-n50ex Digital Torque Driver was used to assemble the Mini Q. The servo-controlled high-precision screwdriver was able to apply closely matched torque force onto all screw-in points. Thus eliminating unnecessary structural stress that could compromise sound quality."

I knew tightening torques were becoming a big thing in electrical wiring regs (i.e. 18th Edition) but look how critical they are for audio too!! Looks like I'll need to borrow my work's torque analyser to check the tightness of my speaker binding posts!
donutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2019, 3:41 pm   #1002
Radio Wrangler

The CE mark says it won't hurt people, contains no nasty substances and doesn't make or respond to radio interference.

It doesn't mean that it works in any way, or if it works, that it does anything useful.

So "Mostly Harmless"

Full marks, though for a real CE mark and not going the 'Chinese Employment' route.

David
Old 18th Sep 2019, 10:17 pm   #1003
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Based on the sort of nonsense spouted on audio tweaks company websites, I thought I'd have a go with the help of a web technobabble generator. This is a made from a number of such phrases spliced together.

What about:

"Our new power purifier is based on a radical new technology. It has a phase-locked envelope-tracking resonance subsystem incorporating quasi-orthogonal synthesized advanced-enabled current-sources. The interconnected intelligent feedback uses a partially truncated, but an otherwise freely enabled circulator. The jitter-free module uses several linear incremental sensors driving the phase-noise matrix."

Craig
Craig Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th Sep 2019, 11:06 pm   #1004
elanman99
Hexode

Quote:
Based on the sort of nonsense spouted on audio tweaks company websites, I thought I'd have a go with the help of a web technobabble generator. This is a made from a number of such phrases spliced together.

What about:

"Our new power purifier is based on a radical new technology. It has a phase-locked envelope-tracking resonance subsystem incorporating quasi-orthogonal synthesized advanced-enabled current-sources. The interconnected intelligent feedback uses a partially truncated, but an otherwise freely enabled circulator. The jitter-free module uses several linear incremental sensors driving the phase-noise matrix."

Craig

I want one!
elanman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2019, 12:54 am   #1005
Radio Wrangler

Quote:

What about:

Craig
Power purifier sounds good and it gets better, right up to 'synthesised' which word is a big turn-off for the target audience. 'intelligent' is also a no-no.
'Jitter-free' is great and 'linear' hammers it home. But I'm afraid even these don't undo the damage of synthesised and intelligent. They'll be left thinking digital stuff and software is involved!

Just remove these two adjectives and watch the focus group score soar.

David
Old 19th Sep 2019, 7:11 am   #1006
mole42uk
Nonode

Quote:

What about:

Craig
It just needs a suitable price tag - say $9,999 per unit for the base model, or $14,999 for the gold version, perhaps with a cryogenically-treated capsule for an extra $4,999....

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2019, 8:44 am   #1007
GrimJosef
Dekatron

I fear 'partially truncated' suggests compromise, which is the last thing you want. 'Optimally truncated' or (better) 'optimally tuned' suggests underlying wizardry, opaque to the uninitiated. An effective wheeze for charging more is to suggest that the entry-level model comes with the standard tuning but that for an extra fee this can be custom-profiled to match the properties of the rest of the customer's system. Of course this profiling will need to be re-done each time the customer changes anything else in his setup. Or as the rest of the kit ages.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 19th Sep 2019, 9:14 am   #1008
Radio Wrangler

If P T Barnum came back, I wouldn't expect him to go back into the carnival business.

David
Old 19th Sep 2019, 9:39 am   #1009
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

My audio-babble "advert" was actually a response on another forum, likewise debunking audiophoolery, to an "explanation" of how Bybee's new Quantum (there we go again..) Purifier works:

"In short, our new technology is energized by surrounding energies and then creates an electric and magnetic field of force. In this electric and magnetic field, the polarity of all electrons and protons are altered, affecting their oscillation by making them more aligned with each other. This reaction creates an affect that makes the transfer or sharing of electrons between atoms more streamlined and efficient; and air molecules less resistant"

Craig
Craig Sawyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2019, 10:40 am   #1010
mark2collection
Hexode

It's amazing more isn't made of 'colour of timbre'.

Who'd of thought the shade of laminated chipboard speaker cabinets would make such an improvement! We cannot leave it there though(?)

'The juxtaposition of linear unipolar response curves verses nulled odd harmonics encompasses the listener with the thrill of 'being there' leaving an imprinted joyous feeling of total escapism of the world around, a genuine unparalleled sense of absoluteness.

For our new range of amplifiers fulfill these feelings, plus the additional new feature above. £17,995 without or, £19,999 with … a mute button'.

Mark
Old 19th Sep 2019, 11:17 am   #1011
Herald1360
Dekatron

I'd steer well clear (astronomical distances) of anything that could alter the polarity of electrons and protons. Irresistible forces and immovable objects come to mind.

CERN might like one!
.........O..Chris....O
Herald1360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2019, 11:52 am   #1012
Radio Wrangler

Going by past behaviour of the human race, the moment someone can change the polarity of electrons and protons, there will be a visit of several 'men from the ministry' with armed police support to take the machinery away and all those in the know, so that it can be developed into a bomb.

Just look at the panic in some quarters over the turn-on of the LHC... and that was only to try to catch evidence of a particle that was expected to already exist.

Craig's version of the quantum purifier may already have been invented, but has been squirrelled away by government and made hush-hush.

David (I'd like to be at least one whole universe away...)
Old 19th Sep 2019, 12:33 pm   #1013
kalee20
Dekatron

Quote:
Here's another one bandying around the word "quantum".

https://telos-audio.com.tw/quantum-noise-resonator/

Perhaps they are uncertain whether it works or not.
Quoting from the link: "And by this way, we can only have 1 part being approved out of 16 parts (1/16 chance) This takes many times and we will drop all the unselected parts." Which to me says that their Build Consistency and Quality Assurance is appalling... 93% rejects. But they're emphasizing it as a virtue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by G8HQP Dave View Post
Quoted by Argus25:
Quote:
We even have customer said that the upgrade range, Is like adding USD30,000 audio tuning accessories to the system.
It is quite likely that the audible effect of one expensive 'upgrade' is similar to the audible effect of another expensive 'upgrade'.
Or even a cheap upgrade could be similar to another really expensive upgrade.

I replaced the mains fuse feeding my amplifier, cost 45p, do you know, it made as much difference as spending £1,000 on a new cryo-treated, OFC, Malaysian-cotton insulated mains cable.

Really! I measured it, the effect was identical!

(No difference noted either way )
kalee20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2019, 12:52 pm   #1014
mark2collection
Hexode

Chris/David, the moment when I switched on the first audio power amplifier I designed/built maaaany moons ago, should've been a 'good distance' away!

My father, was, and he heard it go 'pop'! Miscalculated the bias network vs artistic flair coupled with enthusiasm, turns out the power supply, also designed & made by me, was 'over engineered' and could supply quite a bit of current.

No audiograde parts were harmed in the making of my college project, but I did learn an awful lot, including the doppler effect.

Mark
Old 19th Sep 2019, 2:03 pm   #1015
mole42uk
Nonode

Here's a new one to me:

"One of the first record players capable of sending a signal that’s higher quality than a CD’s, the Cambridge Alva TT Turntable’s aptX Bluetooth allows for truly high-resolution wireless streaming, unlike any you’ve experienced before."

One of the first? I can think of many turntable makers that might challenge that - even my Connoisseur/Lenco/M75ED sends a better signal than a CD's
Only $1700, tastfully made of Aluminum and Polyoxymethylene.

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
mole42uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2019, 7:18 pm   #1016
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole42uk View Post
"one of the first record players capable of sending a signal that’s higher quality than a cd’s, the cambridge alva tt turntable’s aptx bluetooth allows for truly high-resolution wireless streaming, unlike any you’ve experienced before."
That contravenes the Trades Descriptions Act. Lossy compression by definition has lower resolution than linear PCM.
Ted Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2019, 8:10 pm   #1017
bluepilot
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herald1360 View Post
I'd steer well clear (astronomical distances) of anything that could alter the polarity of electrons and protons.
Depends on what you mean by polarity. I mean you can change the polarity of a battery by turning it 180 degrees. I guess that means the electrons come out of one pole and go back into the other instead of vice versa. Now changing the charge on an electron would be something completely different unless you replaced an electron by a positron whilst no-one was looking.

The golden age is always yesterday - Asa Briggs
bluepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th Sep 2019, 8:15 pm   #1018
Radio Wrangler

Few people understand the difference in meaning of resolution and accuracy. You can take a low resolution signal and interpolate it to get higher resolution. But you can't do that with accuracy.

David
Old 19th Sep 2019, 8:23 pm   #1019
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

BT used to have some "power conditioners". One was in an aluminium heavy gauge grey box about 250mm wide, 125mm high and 200mm deep. I had one, stripped all the gubbins out and used it for housing a small atu. That was about 25 years ago. Still have it. Hindsight is a wonderful thing!
I wonder nobody has marketed a power input device that splits the 240v ac into +ve and -ve half cycles (and zero reference) to send up separate cables and re-combine at the audio equipment.
Just think what claims you could make for such a device!
Rob
Old 24th Sep 2019, 4:27 pm   #1020
Max Ripple
Pentode

I stumbled upon an add for special blue coloured cartridge fuses!Other coloured version's are available too with even more outrageous claims made for them,when replacing the humble fuse in power connectors of audio equipment.
They cost (for the entry level version!)$150 each,and "discerning" audiophiles are buying them too it seems?
They don't actually claim that the fuses help create "pools of acoustic space",but they might as well do.Perhaps the space though is between the ears of the buyers's
I wondered about getting one for the 'fridge as it definitely doesn't sound right.
Nick
Max Ripple is offline   Reply With Quote