UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Jul 2020, 7:41 pm   #1
mastercare
Triode

Default Power issues IBM T410 ThinkPad.

Hi all
ive had alot help here with my ham rig which had a display prob...now i need advice ref my T410 laptop...when you push power button it will not power up as in no lights kick in....cd rom though opens shuts fine....if i withdraw power plug keep inserting after about 10 20 pushes it comes on boots fine...I suspect a cap problem but as it has an external PSU it will be on the motherboard I guess?
The power socket is fine I've checked that, as I say CDROM opens and shuts fine.
thanks in advance....

paul
g4sbx
Old 20th Jul 2020, 10:24 pm   #2
Mark1960
Octode

Default Re: Power issues IBM T410 ThinkPad.

I used to have a T410 or T420 (i forget which) at work, that would refuse to boot if the cooling fan would not spin during power up. The fix was to remove the keyboard to clean the dust that would collect on the fan blades.

It was quite easy to remove the keyboard, a few screws from the bottom of the laptop then release a few clips along the edge of the keyboard. Take care not to pull on the flex from the keyboard when you move it to clean the dust from the fan.

Might not be your issue, but as its easier than access to the motherboard it might be worth a try.
Old 21st Jul 2020, 10:55 am   #3
mastercare
Triode

Many thanks for that...ill check fan..its prob got a sensor on it...
thanks
paul
Old 25th Jul 2020, 3:19 pm   #4
mastercare
Triode

hi took fan out and cleaned and it seems better but still has problem so ill order a cheap chinese fan...let u know how i get on...
cheers
paul
Old 25th Jul 2020, 3:33 pm   #5
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Is the battery OK?

I've got several Thinkpads here and one of them won't boot if the battery is low, even if the external charger/PSU is connected.

Taking the battery out, waiting a few minutes, reinstalling battery, then leaving it on charge for 10 minutes or so and it boots OK. I suspect that with a 'weak' battery (the software reports it's only got 40% of its rated capacity) the combined effort of the PSU (it's a genuine IBM one, though rather old) trying to charge a depleted battery *and* trying to boot-up the system causes some strange effects.
Old 26th Jul 2020, 5:30 pm   #6
mastercare
Triode

Hi and thanks
well the old battery was ********...ive since bought and fitted a new one...still same fault...so ive ordered a new fan...i will see outcome of that...we tried to clean and reset old fan but although better does not kick in when hitting power button...after 2 3 attempts it comes on and stays on...so its not as bad...
thanks for you input...
paul
Old 6th Aug 2020, 5:08 pm   #7
mastercare
Triode

Hi everyone....well new fan arrived and laptop seemed to power up right away...but was short lived ...it even powers down by itself...
i would suspect the ext psu...but my sons laptop diff model has no issues with psu...so im starting to think of poss a cap problem...but without a circuit its a nightmare...
any more suggestions please...
thanks
paul
g4sbx
Old 6th Aug 2020, 5:30 pm   #8
ajgriff
Nonode

Did the problem start after a major software change? For example is the machine running version 2004 of Windows 10?

Alan
Old 8th Aug 2020, 3:19 pm   #9
mastercare
Triode

Hi its running windows 7 nothing has changed...i think the only other answer is to find one with perhaps a damaged screen...then repl the motherboard..
any takers?
it seems to be in coma mode...if i plug a usb device like a cell phone in socket it sw off and on...
still think its a supply issue...but without a circuit...its impossible..
ill keep looking..
thanks
guys
paul
Old 8th Aug 2020, 3:31 pm   #10
paulsherwin

Fans often dry out. There will be a sleeve bearing underneath a plastic cover or sticky label on one side. Remove that and add a drop or two of machine oil to the bearing - 3-in-1 will do if you've nothing better. Put the cover back and try it.

It may or may not help, but it costs you nothing to try it.
Old 8th Aug 2020, 7:25 pm   #11
mastercare
Triode

thanks paul

and good advice...but as u can see i have fitted a new fan,,which arrived a few days ago..
thanks
paul
Old 8th Aug 2020, 7:45 pm   #12
paulsherwin

Yes, I did see that, but it's possible that there are compatibility problems with the new fan, so it's worth reviving the original and seeing if it helps. A long shot I admit.
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 6:26 pm   #13
mastercare
Triode

hi Paul
i tried to revive the fan. infact i had a spare which i collared when i worked for ibm...
it was worth a try and i gave it a go..
i have now ordered a repl motherboard...
so when that arrives i will report back..
thanks to all on forum...
paul
g4sbx
Old 23rd Aug 2020, 7:52 pm   #14
andrewferguson
Hexode

I have a T420 and it suffered from a similar issue - it wouldn't power on, except after 20 or so tries, it would.

I feared it would need a motherboard replacement, but it turned out it was the keyboard! Since the power button for the laptop is on the keyboard, the fault with the keyboard prevented the power button from working (evidently it wasn't *completely* broken, as it would work every once in a while).

At the time, prices of replacement (known working) keyboards was ~£30, and since I didn't know 100% it was the keyboard, I was keen to avoid paying that cost. So I ordered one of the Thinkpad docks that fits the T420 (and T410 I believe), because it has a power button on it as well. Disconnecting the internal keyboard from the laptop, placing it on the dock, and using the dock's power button showed that the motherboard and other components were working fine.

At the time I found a cheap dock for ~£5 including postage. Looking at ebay they seem to be ~£10 right now, which is a shame.

Perhaps you know someone with a dock that you can borrow to test out? A keyboard replacement is also far simpler than a motherboard replacement.
Closed Thread