UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 27th Feb 2012, 6:23 pm   #1
thumpyy
Retired Dormant Member

Default Help fitting resistor

Hi,

I have a green resistor to quieten down the bell, could someone tell me where to fit it please?

Regards.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit-diagram.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	63257   Click image for larger version

Name:	Base.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	63258  
Old 27th Feb 2012, 8:29 pm   #2

Default Re: Help fitting resistor

Bit of a wide open question, I have green resistors form 1 ohm to many megohms, I would stick some blu-tack on the bells instead.

Old 27th Feb 2012, 8:50 pm   #3
thumpyy
Retired Dormant Member

Hi merlin,

I should of mentioned I have been here before and got help with wireing up the phone, this included buying a white/green/blue/red lead with a bt plug on the end.

The resistor as far as I can remember come with the lead.

Looking back through that thread Nick says:

Quote:
One place to install it would be in place of the short wire that links the two bell coils.
Where exactly would that be?

I do have another reason to install the resistor so would to do that if possible rather than use blue tack.

Basicly I have vdsl2 on the line and when the phone rings the sync rate drops, more so with this geco than my other modern phone. Hopefully using the resistor will stop it drawing so much power and cause a smaller drop more inline with the modern phone.

Thanks.
Old 27th Feb 2012, 9:28 pm   #4
AC/HL
Dekatron

On this phone there is no convenient link to replace with the resistor, so you will need to unsolder each end of the red wire that links the two bell motor coils together, and wire the resistor between the vacated tags. (on your photo they are the top tag on each coil). The red wire can be left in the harness and tucked out of sight.
Old 27th Feb 2012, 11:02 pm   #5
thumpyy
Retired Dormant Member

Cheers, will dig the soldering iron out tomorrow.
Old 27th Feb 2012, 11:10 pm   #6
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpyy View Post
.... to quieten down the bell......
Hi,
As the bell motor is essentially a Frequency/Current operated AC device it's unlikely that a resistor will quieten the bell!

If the Bell gongs are of the eccentric design, they should be adjustable enough to create a substantially loud ring to a much quieter one by limiting or extending the movement of the clapper on the bell motor.

Regards
Andrew
Old 4th Mar 2012, 5:51 pm   #7
DAVEHALL
Retired Dormant Member

If the poster can do without the phone ringing, then that might be a simpler solution. Use the modern phone to announce calls and disconnect the bell circuit. Failing that I'd suggest adding 2uF capacitors in series with the bell until problem is solved. The bell will get quieter as more are added, but 1.8uF 250v caps as used in the circuit are dear.
Old 4th Mar 2012, 6:05 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

The gongs don't appear to be eccentric, as mentioned in #6, but it's difficult to tell for certain from the picture.

If they're not eccentric, another answer is to carefully bend the clapper upwards a tad so it makes lighter contact with the gongs.

By the way, what's that circular thing on the baseplate with holes in it? Can it be rotated to open/close the holes and thus act as a 'volume control'?
Old 7th Mar 2012, 8:07 pm   #9
vosperd
Hexode

I used to quieten these bells by moving the gongs closer together and making the armature gap smaller using the eccentric gongs and the armature clamp screw.
Don m5aky
Closed Thread