UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 4th Apr 2011, 9:51 pm   #1
Andy Green
Hexode

Default Synthesising camera 'look'

Although the Aurora and other system converters do a wonderful job in providing picture sources for old sets, sometimes the picture doesn't look quite right. I put some of this down to the high resolution of modern cameras, lack of tube smear and halos like the old IO cameras gave when looking at bright lights, and different chromatic representation in the grey scale produced (sort of like the diffenece between orthochromatic and pan chromatic b&W film)

How feasible would a DSP video signal conditioner be? I know you can get some effects like grainy scratchy film for video editing software, so could we get maybe a 'plumbicon' effect or 'Photicon' one?

Probably a lot of work, but it would add the final touch to authenticity!

Any thoughts?
Old 5th Apr 2011, 9:50 am   #2
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default Re: Synthesising camera 'look'

Hello Andy

There is a chap in Slovenia working on this idea and I have forwarded a link to this post to him, so if he contacts you it will not be too much of a surprise.

I don't feel I could give his email address out without permission.

regards

Brian Summers

www.tvcameramuseum.org
Old 5th Apr 2011, 11:27 am   #3
twocvbloke
Retired Dormant Member

Digieffects sell video editing effects that might contain something like what you describe, though I don't have experience of using their tools, I have seen some of the products that have used their software, especially "Damage", which can be used to distort, corrupt and skew the input videos, they have other modules to their suite though which may be able to do more...
Old 6th Apr 2011, 10:34 am   #4
beamcurrent
Heptode

PM sent
Old 15th Apr 2011, 11:04 am   #5
Andy Green
Hexode

I did some searching on the internet and came upon a video from someone who has attempted to do just this, although not in real time though.
The raw video was edited in Corel Photopaint 7. converting the video files to AVIs and cutting them into 10 second segments to make it easier to open the files quickly.
Each segment was then desaturated the picture for B&W, adjusting the brightness to 10 and contrast to -50 to emulate with the orthicon tone, and then the "mask unsharp" effect was applied twice, to emphasise the orthicon look. This process was applied frame by frame, to speed it up a macro using the programs recorder was made, and applied to each 10 second segment. After this treatment, the 10 second segments were re-edited back together.

See here to watch the videos - look for Troyvisual arts
Old 16th Apr 2011, 3:42 pm   #6
EF80TVVALVE
Octode

Hi, You can get these effects using sony "videocorders". The AV3670CE? I have gives this effect due to the video circuit (all you have to do is switch the camera to B&W or else it gives you a colour image in orthicon style). The other thing is, you can record video tape with this style too (although mine isn't yet repaired properly so that is the next task I shall be conquering!)
some of them are a little indulgent on the price but I think that they are an investment!
Old 19th Apr 2011, 11:25 am   #7
Andy Doz
Hexode

Not sure the effect is exactly "orthicon" style... and because the machine only record every other field, the pictures tend to flicker.
You certainly don't get that negative "halo" effect around bright objects...

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 19th Apr 2011 at 8:09 pm. Reason: Quote removed.
Closed Thread