UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Sep 2021, 5:04 am   #1
macka1221
Diode

Default H.M.V Power Transformer

Hi, I was hoping someone could help me determine the best alternarive power transformer I would need for an old 70's HMV Internationale radiogram. Suggestions on where I could purchase from in Australia if known would also be amazing. Schematic drawings below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Schematic 1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	241708   Click image for larger version

Name:	Schematic 2.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	241709  
Old 20th Sep 2021, 9:35 am   #2
Cobaltblue

Default Re: H.M.V Power Transformer

Hi Macka and welcome to the forum.

The original transformer has a number of taps and it may be difficult to get an exact replacement. Can you show a picture of just the power supply section (bottom right of the second picture) the forum software resizes pictures which makes it hard to read the detail such as the ratings of the lamps and any supply rail detail.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 20th Sep 2021, 10:29 am   #3
ms660
Dekatron

In a similar schematic the secondary is 22V-0V-22V with a tap for a 6.3v@0.3A lamp in each wing, the B+ rail being 29V.

Lawrence.
Old 20th Sep 2021, 11:06 am   #4
lesmw0sec
Octode

It is over 20 years ago... but I seem to recall that there was a company out near Archerfield who would do re-winds or new to spec. They used to supply us at the University.
Old 20th Sep 2021, 11:24 am   #5
macka1221
Diode

Appreciate everyone’s feedback so far, hopefully the image below is better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FFE2C8AB-D045-4F69-B9F3-179384E8943A.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	102.6 KB
ID:	241729  
Old 27th Sep 2021, 2:35 am   #6
macka1221
Diode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobaltblue View Post
Hi Macka and welcome to the forum.

The original transformer has a number of taps and it may be difficult to get an exact replacement. Can you show a picture of just the power supply section (bottom right of the second picture) the forum software resizes pictures which makes it hard to read the detail such as the ratings of the lamps and any supply rail detail.

Cheers

Mike T
Just wondering if the better picture of the schematic is helpful in determining what might be a suitable replacement. I found a comapny here is Australia, EVATCO, that supply valve and tube amp parts.
Old 27th Sep 2021, 8:22 am   #7
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Mike, see if you have any local members of the HRSA (Historical Radio Soc or Australia), I think they have a group in most states. They may be able to help.
Failing that you should be able to get the windings you want on perhaps 2 separate transformers from the likes of Jaycar. Looks like these could then be fitted into the case

Ed
Closed Thread