UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jul 2021, 4:05 pm   #1
vinrads
Dekatron

Default Philco 100 was AC/DC now AC only

The story is I repaired one of these for a chap he brings me the things he is stuck with , to cut a long story short when he came to collect it I commented that it wasn't my sort of thig normally but there was something about this one I liked , he then said that he had another one the same so a deal was struck .He said it was in good condition ,his idea of good condition and mine were a million miles apart .
It arrived a few days later , It was in a right state someone had tried to replace the speaker cloth not very successfully ,it had bee varnished looks like it was applied with a trowel ,the side were painted with a thick layer of black stuff ,so the cabinet had to come apart ,I was left with four pieces top bottom and two sides , having removed what looked like mastic from all the joints I sanded all the wood and veneer , and started by fitting new (well very old) speaker cloth tygan type , a pain in the bum to fit ,but it now looks ok , glued some leather cloth to the sides , stained the top and to bottom finished with clear coat.
The electronics I fancied converting it to A/C only I never did like the A/C D/C radios , so re wired the heaters , for 6.3 volt found a mains tx to supply the correct voltage well near!, did away with the valve rect fitted full wave diodes , and a dropper resistor plus extra 33uf smoothing ,we now have correct HT found the original fault the choke / output tx oc had one in the bit's box and the set of E valves , got it working , one knob missing , kindly supplied by Rich ak Slidertogrid at no cost to me thanks so much , after a quick alignment it performs very well on all wavebands ,Mick. Rich your is the one on the far right thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0025 (3).jpg
Views:	216
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	237660   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0024 (3).jpg
Views:	198
Size:	97.3 KB
ID:	237661   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP0023 (2).jpg
Views:	200
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	237662  
Old 14th Jul 2021, 5:22 pm   #2
slidertogrid
Octode

Default Re: Philco 100 was AC/DC now AC only

You have made a fantastic job of that Mick! I have one in my collection which came from a car boot sale 10 or so years ago for £1! I considered it a bit "new" at the time but I have come to like it!
Rich.
Old 14th Jul 2021, 9:27 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

That's a really rather nice looking radio: good to see it given a new lease of life!
Old 19th Jul 2021, 5:19 pm   #4
deliverance
Heptode

Lovely job Mick, I wonder how many radios you have repaired / restored over the years.
Closed Thread