UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Feb 2022, 2:02 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Cassette label removal

Hi all

I want to remove a label from a cassette - a TDK strip type you get with blank cassettes. Once I peel the worst off is it safe to use nail varnish remover to get the sticky stuff off?

I dont want to put a new label over it as I want it blank.

Martin
Old 25th Feb 2022, 2:35 pm   #2
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Default Re: Cassette label removal

Don’t use acetone (nail varnish remover) as it will almost certainly attack the cassette’s plastic housing. I’d try isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud or citrus based sticky label remover - but use either sparingly and carefully.
Old 25th Feb 2022, 2:40 pm   #3
paulsherwin

White spirit or turps substitute will get the sticky stuff off if you persevere. WD40 will also work, but is much more expensive.

I agree you shouldn't use acetone, as it attacks some plastics, and you should be sparing with anything you use.
Old 25th Feb 2022, 3:17 pm   #4
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks chaps. I used IPA to remove belt goo from a reel to reel. I was surprised how well it did.
Old 25th Feb 2022, 3:23 pm   #5
paulsherwin

Personally I haven't found IPA or meths to be very effective against sticky label residue, but that will vary with the specific adhesive used. It will certainly do no harm to try it.
Old 25th Feb 2022, 4:45 pm   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

I agree with Paul, white spirit usually works much better than IPA or meths. I use it a lot for removing sticky labels.

Alan
Old 25th Feb 2022, 5:47 pm   #7

Smear vegetable oil over the label and wait a day or so, they almost just drop off.

Old 25th Feb 2022, 6:33 pm   #8
emeritus
Dekatron

The special label remover aerosol sprays with the citrus stuff gives rapid results. I wouldn't be without a tin.

In fact, there are at least three different grades of label adhesive, as I found out some years ago when I had to order some address labels in a non-standard colour for work, direct from a manufacturer. I don't recall the precise names, but the grades were: easily removable, medium, and permanent (hard to remove). The special label remover works on the hard to remove stuff.

Last edited by emeritus; 25th Feb 2022 at 6:34 pm. Reason: typos
Old 25th Feb 2022, 6:39 pm   #9
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

I have an old bottle of HG Sticker Remover that I found in a dead relative's garage. They still make it: https://hg.eu/uk/products/hg-sticker-remover

It's very effective, and smells most like white spirit. The label only says ">30% aromatic hydrocarbons" and "<5% nonionics".
Old 25th Feb 2022, 7:02 pm   #10
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

I think that I've mentioned previously that I found the stuff you buy in spray bottles to de-ice windscreens is good at cleaning goo.

Although I'm sure that it is mostly alcohol, there is a bit of something else in there (quite slow to evaporate, possibly a glycol) that seems to work very well and I've not yet seen any damage occur to plastics.

B
Old 26th Feb 2022, 10:08 am   #11
brenellic2000
Octode

Use lighter fuel/petrol - its never failed me!
Old 26th Feb 2022, 10:45 am   #12
Ambientnoise
Heptode

You can get de-odourised (?) white spirit which I find much more pleasant to use than normal stuff. Toolstation sell it.
Old 26th Feb 2022, 1:03 pm   #13
wireman
Heptode

I find that you just have to try different things for sticky residue.

I have these in the arsenal for residue removal (in no sensible order):
  • Isopropanol
  • Turps (real)
  • White Spirit
  • CT-1 MultiSolve
  • Ambersil Amberclens foam cleaner (more for degreasing toolbeds or 5-year old whiteboard writing)

And sachets of sticky plaster remover (not as good as Zoff which seems to be unobtainable in a bottle)
Old 26th Feb 2022, 8:56 pm   #14
Mooly
Octode

I find a bit of multisurface furniture spray polish (don't spray directly on to the cassette) on the end of a finger and rubbed into the label usually works. Great for getting those price tickets and labels off CD jewel cases as well.
Old 27th Feb 2022, 8:25 am   #15
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazzlevision View Post
Don’t use acetone (nail varnish remover) as it will almost certainly attack the cassette’s plastic housing. I’d try isopropyl alcohol on a cotton bud or citrus based sticky label remover - but use either sparingly and carefully.
I'll stand corrected, but I don't think that the orange smelling label remover has anything to do with 'citrus' other than the added smell that is used to hide the fact that the core product is lighter fuel.
Old 27th Feb 2022, 9:23 am   #16
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

I’d add my vote for lighter fuel.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts

Last edited by Phil G4SPZ; 27th Feb 2022 at 9:24 am. Reason: Typo
Old 27th Feb 2022, 10:36 am   #17
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
I'll stand corrected, but I don't think that the orange smelling label remover has anything to do with 'citrus' other than the added smell that is used to hide the fact that the core product is lighter fuel.
I thought some of these 'label removers' contained a solvent called 'limonene' which is extracted from citrus fruits.
Old 27th Feb 2022, 10:46 am   #18
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Quote:
I thought some of these 'label removers' contained a solvent called 'limonene' which is extracted from citrus fruits.
It may well be Tony. I just always thought/believed that the basic product is lighter fuel with added orange essence to 'stop' people just using lighter fluid instead of paying a premium price for their 'label remover'.
Old 27th Feb 2022, 8:09 pm   #19
NottsIan
Tetrode

The one thing no-one has mentioned for removing many labels is heat. Maybe too risky for the OP's problem but in general a few moments with a hair dryer and the label peels off very easily. This works well on those labels charity shops insist on sticking on records.
Old 7th Mar 2022, 2:52 pm   #20
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
Quote:
It may well be Tony. I just always thought/believed that the basic product is lighter fuel with added orange essence to 'stop' people just using lighter fluid instead of paying a premium price for their 'label remover'.
The labels on the two so-called "Orange solvent" products we use at work say:
Quote:
Contains: ORANGE TERPENES
or
Quote:
Contains: D-Limonene
Closed Thread