UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 2nd Sep 2016, 7:57 pm   #1
radiozero
Hexode

Default Restoring case of Panasonic RF-888LB

HI. I've got a RF-888LB and besides it not working, the case is damaged at the front. I post 2 pictures, one shows the major damage, which will require gluing. Other shows minor damage to trim.

How do I fix the major damage do you think? It will require some pressure to force the part back, but if I do that first, maybe I cannot get the glue in place. So, not entirely certain how to handle this major damage.

As to minor damage, not sure how I get rid of the dent in the trim. It appears to be a ring of aluminium. Maybe if I can reverse the trim that would put the best side front. Thanks. Rich

Also wondering what type of glue needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RF-888RL Front Grill 2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	129533   Click image for larger version

Name:	RF-888LB Front Grill 01.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	129534  
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 5:26 pm   #2
radiozero
Hexode

Default Re: Restoring case of Panasonic RF-888LB

I think JB Plastic Weld might do and Araldite Standard.

Last edited by radiozero; 3rd Sep 2016 at 5:36 pm.
Old 4th Sep 2016, 4:29 pm   #3
radiozero
Hexode

Default Re: Restoring case of Panasonic RF-888LB

Another thing, the radio is from 1975. And Panasonic used, what looks like some plastic mesh for the loudspeaker grill. I post a picture. I'm trying to source this kind of mesh. No luck yet. Does anyone know what is is? Know of a supplier? Thanks. Rich
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Panasonic grill mesh.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	141.6 KB
ID:	129633  
Closed Thread