UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Old 24th Aug 2019, 6:44 pm   #1
Ampmatt
Diode

Smile GZ34, ECC32 & ECC33 valves wanted. Must be Mullard.

Looking for the following valves, must be Mullard manufactured

GZ34
ECC32
ECC33
Ampmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th Aug 2019, 10:52 am   #2
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

Default Re: GZ34, ECC32 & ECC33 valves wanted. Must be Mullard.

The 'must be Mullard' bit is going to make them rather expensive. The other makes do work and do meet specification. These are normally long-lived valves, so are you sure you do need new ones. It's worth asking yourself these questions before entering into an auction fight with the audiophools.

There are plenty of 6SN7GT and 6SL7GT around from the likes of Raytheon, RCA, and the other military grade American manufacturers which could save you a fair bit of money. There's nothing wrong with their quality.

David (Used to know Matt Mathias of Matamp fame)
Old 25th Aug 2019, 11:47 am   #3
GrimJosef
Nonode

If the GZ34 is vintage then it very likely will be made by Philips/Mullard (Mullard were part of the Philips empire). I'm not aware that there were any other manufacturers whose 34's looked remotely similar. The valve may not be branded Mullard though. Tungsram ones are quite common, but they usually carry the Bxxx code for the Mullard Blackburn factory etched inconspicuously towards the bottom of the glass envelope. They were all made on the same production line and what was printed on them at the end was just dictated by retail demand.

Of course they won't do if you believe that the words on the glass will make the amp sound different .

EDIT: The 6SN7GT is functionally equivalent to the ECC32, but the 6SL7GT and the ECC33 aren't so similar. If you want a Mullard ECC33 in new condition then you may find youself paying an eye-watering amount of money. They don't turn up all that often and they are specified for the popular Leak TL/12 Point One amp, so are in demand. I see that Langrex have new brown-base Mullards for sale at 200 each. With black bases they're 250.

Cheers,

GJ

Last edited by GrimJosef; 25th Aug 2019 at 11:57 am.
GrimJosef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2019, 3:16 am   #4
joebog1
Heptode

And dont forget, In Australia I can buy Mullard brand valves made in Russia !!!!!
Joe

mods: I can post pics of the adds if I am not believed
joebog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2019, 8:14 am   #5
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

" must be Mullard manufactured" Why? Mullard didn't add magic to their valves, that's just marketing spiel, sorry, being provocative. As other's have mentioned if you have a spare 500 or so you'll be fine, if you have less money and are hoping members here will sell you them for 3 each you might be disappointed.

You can get Russian equivalents, roughly, that'll do the job for a fraction of the price, don't think that's what you want to hear though. You can occasionally find em on ebay cheapish if you drop in lucky, however ebay now tells you what price you can expect to get, so the chances of someone popping a valve on for 1 start are slim.

Lastly, Mark at Blueglow in the USA sells properly tested boutique valves at quite decent prices, he might be worth contacting.

Andy.
Old 26th Aug 2019, 9:11 am   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebog1 View Post
And dont forget, In Australia I can buy Mullard brand valves made in Russia !!!!!
Joe

mods: I can post pics of the adds if I am not believed
Not only Australia. The Mullard brand and logo is now owned by some dodgy outfit who use it to sell newly manufactured valves to the audiophile market. It's not actually dishonest, but it's not far off.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2019, 9:21 am   #7
barrymagrec
Heptode

I have a couple of Gaumont Kalee model 564 Fluttermeters in my loft - they each contain a couple of ECC32 or ECC33, directly interchangeable according to the circuit / parts list.

Since they also have an ECC35, KT66 and U52 perhaps I should break them up for the valves and retire?
barrymagrec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2019, 11:59 am   #8
greg_simons
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrymagrec View Post
I have a couple of Gaumont Kalee model 564 Fluttermeters in my loft - they each contain a couple of ECC32 or ECC33, directly interchangeable according to the circuit / parts list.

Since they also have an ECC35, KT66 and U52 perhaps I should break them up for the valves and retire?
You could I suppose, but you wouldn't be such a Philistine I'm sure!
Greg.
Old 26th Aug 2019, 12:09 pm   #9
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

I would not break them up.
Old 26th Aug 2019, 12:49 pm   #10
AC/HL

I've got an EBC33 somewhere. If you say it quickly...
Old 26th Aug 2019, 1:01 pm   #11
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

For all my homebrew valve projects I use the cheapest available, the Russians and Chinese (there are other countries of origin too) valves are a) available, b) cheap, c) don't diminish the stock of contemporaneous valves (for proper restorations), and finally are as good as the 1950's ones.
Old 26th Aug 2019, 1:25 pm   #12
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

I wrote a careful response to the original post. If the poster is an ordinary individual looking to replace a set of valves in some piece of his equipment, I tried to offer genuinely helpful advice.

On the other hand, if he's after valves as a business venture or for a quick profit, I wanted to give a gentle warning that the people on here know exactly the prices such bottles sell for. What made me a little suspicious were no mention of the number of each needed, and the phrase 'Mullard manufactured' which suggests he's au fait with the numbers of products of Blackburn which went out with other branding. Most people wouldn't have added manufactured. Oh and no mention of what they were wanted for.

Anyway, I gave my advice and I stand by it. It's always difficult when someone new pops up and starts by asking for valuable parts. Sometimes they are genuine, so it's best to treat them that way. Genuine novices are a protected species.

David
Old 26th Aug 2019, 2:28 pm   #13
Ampmatt
Diode

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your replies,

The GZ34 is for a replacement dead GZ34 in a Racal RA17; I guess it does not need to be a Mullard, but would like to keep it original

A pair of ECC32 would be for a leak quad amp restoration

Lastly, I was going to try an ECC33 in replacement of a missing B65 in my leak TL10.1 amplifier which I acquired some time ago.
Ampmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th Aug 2019, 2:54 pm   #14
Radio Wrangler
Dekatron

I can probably find you a pair of 6SN7 which is the origin of the ECC32. I think there are some in my untested boxes. Raytheon, probably.

There's always a bit of a stir on the group when someone new appears looking for audiophile valves. The moderators fend off all sorts of wheeler-dealers out for a quick buck and audiophiles looking for magic without paying the going price.

This is a place for restorers of RA17s etc and we've learned to repel ravening hordes of 'tube-rollers'.

As far as the GZ34 goes, the RA117 uses silicon diodes. They save some heat in the receiver and take a bit of load off of the heater winding. Just a check on the reservoir etc capacitor ratings, a bit of series resistor and you can make it reliable. For some reason, guitarists think certain thermionic rectifiers bestow a magical sound that will soon make them as rich as Stevie Ray Clapton.

David
Old 26th Aug 2019, 3:42 pm   #15
paulsherwin

Anyone is welcome to join the forum and ask for specific valves. Some dealers do try their luck occasionally, but they usually receive a suspicious or downright hostile response from longstanding members who are quick to recognise the telltale signs.

It obviously raises eyebrows when people join the forum and ask about desirable valves or transistors in their first post, but they are entitled to the benefit of the doubt and should be treated politely. It helps to build trust if people explain what they want the valves for, though we have had people telling downright lies about this in the past.

It's purely a matter for individual forum members should they choose to respond to requests for valves or other parts. A quick eBay search will usually indicate if a new member is trying to take advantage. There's nothing wrong with selling valves to a dealer if he's prepared to pay the full going rate.
paulsherwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2019, 8:16 am   #16
PJL
Dekatron

I guess the answer is, if you have esoteric audio equipment like Quad and Leak and want originality then there is little option but to pay the price. However, if you just want to enjoy using the equipment, it is best to fit something that works and is not too costly to replace if it fails.
PJL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Aug 2019, 10:13 am   #17
GrimJosef
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJL View Post
... if you have esoteric audio equipment like Quad and Leak and want originality then there is little option but to pay the price ...
You've hit the nail on the head there. I'm not sure I'd call the equipment esoteric though. Quad made more than 80,000 valve amps and they were used in everything from high-end recording studios to railway station PA systems. Leak exported their stuff to all corners of the world.

Wanting original parts for hi-fi is no stranger, or less strange, than wanting original parts for wirelesses.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 28th Aug 2019, 1:52 pm   #18
greg_simons
Heptode

I suppose at the risk of starting a firestorm it's worth remembering that valve equipment of the day was designed to tolerate a wide spread of valve characteristics without any detriment to performance, just saying.
Greg.
Old 28th Aug 2019, 2:02 pm   #19
AC/HL

In hindsight, separate requests with more information about the requirements would probably have avoided the misunderstanding experienced here. Hopefully, we will get more information regarding the ongoing restorations in due course.