UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jul 2016, 1:22 pm   #1
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Photos of my Homebrew SW Receiver

The photos are of the radio in it's present, partly dismantled state. As I mentioned in the 'Denco(Clacton)Ltd.' thread (Components & Circuits), more than 40 years ago I built a multi-band RX using Denco plug-in coils to a design published in PW. Time (and inclination!) permitting, I may try and get it working again! The first two pictures are of the 1.6Mhz I.F. strip, 3rd, 4th., & 5th., are front, reay & side views of the complete radio. On theRH side as viewed from the front are DIN Sockets for Speaker, 9v DC PSU, and audio o/p to a (cassette) recorder. The RX incorporates a BFO/Product detector mounted under the chassis, and a 1.6Mhz Xtal filter extra I.F. stage, which I've mislaid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1141_Converted.JPG
Views:	362
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	127565   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1142_Converted.JPG
Views:	344
Size:	138.5 KB
ID:	127566   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1143_Converted.jpg
Views:	391
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	127567   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1144_Converted.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	127568   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_1145_Converted.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	191.9 KB
ID:	127569  

Old 19th Jul 2016, 9:20 am   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Photos of my Homebrew SW Receiver

The radio was built to a design published in PW in the early 1970s, IIRC about 1972 over two or three issues. I'm not sure who designed it, possibly David Gibson, or one of the other then regular contributors. By changing the RF, Mixer, & Oscillator coils, it could receive broadcast and amateur transmissions from 150kHz to 30Mhz, and, at different times over the years I had lstened to several S. American stations on the tropical bands (early in the morning!), various Amateurs, including once an Argentinian, then, in the early 80s CB(AM of course). All of these using either an Indoor Long Wire aerial, or a vertical Telescopic rod coupled to a homebrew ATU (Don't know what happened to that!) coupled to the above RX via PL259 plug/SO239 Socket, the latter connected to the aerial circuit of the RX via a low-value mica capacitor. I'd be interested to see pictures and read descriptions of any other receivers built to the above design.
Old 19th Jul 2016, 11:23 am   #3
unitaudio
Heptode

This definitely deserves to live again!

Regards,
Paul
Old 19th Jul 2016, 1:25 pm   #4
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Looks like the FG Rayer design from 1976.

Would be nice to see it up and running again.

Terry VK5TM
Old 19th Jul 2016, 4:59 pm   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

It's case of 'one day, maybe, Terry. So many other calls on my time, and I'm supposed to be retired!) due to ongoing repair jobs and other things, besides which I've yet to find the extra Xtal Filter I.F. stage, though the radio will work without it, and replace an extension spindle & coupler which I removed ages ago to use on something else. In addition, there are four OC170(AF117) transistors which will almost certainly need replacing. Maybe later in the year I'll get around to doing something with the radio, and even look out the issues of PW with the relevany constructional articles!
Closed Thread