UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Jan 2023, 12:50 pm   #1
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Default PW Fresnel lens

Has anyone else still got their free gift of a Fresnel magnifier from Practical Wireless? I've had this for years and I have no recollection of the issue of PW it came with. It's actually quite handy, it slides back into the protective cover and is so thin you can keep it in your wallet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PW Fresnel.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	271347  
Old 12th Jan 2023, 7:30 pm   #2
Roger Ramjet
Heptode

Default Re: PW Fresnel lens

I must have missed that one... then again I stopped buying PW in the early 70's. I do recall the free gift of trimming tools in a mid 60's issue though.

Rog
Old 12th Jan 2023, 10:36 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Also given away in some AA maps of the 70s ISTR
Old 12th Jan 2023, 11:07 pm   #4
Restoration73
Nonode

Overhead projectors usually have a 30 x 30 cm Fresnel in the lid. You can use them
to make your own telescope !
Old 13th Jan 2023, 12:30 am   #5
KeithsTV
Nonode

October 1977 issue had the pocket magnifier free gift. I've still got one ....... somewhere.

Keith
Old 13th Jan 2023, 1:51 am   #6
Phil__G
Octode

I had a business card given to me recently, I didn't realise at first but its actually a Freznel magnifier, keep it in your wallet, very handy!
Old 13th Jan 2023, 8:14 pm   #7
Vintage_RC
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsTV View Post
October 1977 issue had the pocket magnifier free gift. I've still got one ....... somewhere.
Keith
Thanks for the details of the issue that included the magnifier. All my old PW's got ditched with a house move, the magnifier survived because it is actually quite useful.
Old 13th Jan 2023, 10:11 pm   #8
duncanlowe
Nonode

This does remind me of Proops in Tottenham Court Road who had quite a stock of Fresnel lenses back in the eighties. The film Brazil featured these extensively and I do wonder whether the Proops stock had been used....
Old 20th Jan 2023, 2:16 pm   #9
Vintage Engr
Heptode

I still have my original PW one, still useful.
At one time I worked for Rank, & they threw out a number of OHP fresnel lenses, they have proved very useful indeed.

As usual, I have a story...

This time it's about a very learned professor whom I knew, from Oxford University. Apparently, he absent-mindedly left one of these larger OHP fresnel lenses, propped up in the window of his shed. It had been there for some time. Summer came along...

By the time he returned home that evening, the fire brigade had been called to extinguish what remained of his shed! It was in the local paper at the time. So be warned, even the small lenses can easily can unwittingly causese a problem.

Related, to lenses & fire warnings but not fresnel types. I nearly had a similar conflagration with my illuminated bench magnifier a couple of years ago. I'd been using the lamp magnifier, switched off the lamp & of course my soldering iron.
I went over to the house for a coffee, & on my return there was smoke in the workshop!
The sun had moved round, & was now focussed via the lens on to the back of my chair, which was foam-filled. There was a large black hole, with flames dancing around it..
Sufficient to say that my magnifier lamp now has a black cloth bag over it when not in use.

David.
Old 20th Jan 2023, 8:41 pm   #10
duncanlowe
Nonode

Not quite the PW Fresnel lenses, but I remember in the mid 80s (though TBF they probably had them FS for years) that Proops in Tottenham Court Rd had a stack they were selling. They also appeared in a film of the time, as magnifiers in front of tiny CRTs, and I still reckon they sourced them from Proops.
Old 20th Jan 2023, 10:26 pm   #11
Dave Moll
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
Sufficient to say that my magnifier lamp now has a black cloth bag over it when not in use.
I take the simpler (though probably less reliable) approach of ensuring that it is always angled away from the window - i.e. the upper surface points into the room.
Old 21st Jan 2023, 12:30 am   #12
m0cemdave
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moll View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintage Engr View Post
I take the simpler (though probably less reliable) approach of ensuring that it is always angled away from the window - i.e. the upper surface points into the room.

Mine has a bag that fits over it, a bit like a tea cosy with a zip around the rim...
Old 21st Jan 2023, 1:04 am   #13
McMurdo
Dekatron

I think I had one from a magazine but I don't remember which one, not PW as I never had it. I didn't use it.

Last edited by Cobaltblue; 21st Jan 2023 at 12:55 pm. Reason: Automotive removed
Old 21st Jan 2023, 12:57 pm   #14
Cobaltblue

Can we stay on topic please and no more automotive.

Cheers

Mike T
Closed Thread