UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2022, 11:00 am   #41
PaulR
Dekatron

Default Re: What are you Listening to?

I have either R4 or R Lancashire on for most of the day. There used to be a lot of great "nuggets" on R4 but they seem fewer these days. I leave the room whilst my wife listens to Women's Hour!

Unlike Nick I find that I'm sorry, I haven't a clue hasn't been the same since Humph died and has really gone off recently.

We have a bit of a tradition of listening to the Nine Lessons service on Christmas Eve on a pre-war set on LW. This year it will be a Marconiphone 559 as the RF amplification stage means that s shorter long wire aerial is required.

What am I listening to now? The Reith Lecture about freedom from fear by Dr Fiona Hill. Sometimes R4 is still worth the licence fee we don't actually pay directly for it.
Old 21st Dec 2022, 12:17 pm   #42
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Listening to Pumpkin FM last night and along comes an edition of "Round The Horne". I think I have say that some of it has lost its sparkle (Rambling Sid for instance) but there still some very funny bits that make it well worth listening to.

B
Old 21st Dec 2022, 6:26 pm   #43
greenstar
Octode

Well, I have an AM valve set tuned to LW R4 in my kitchen, and like to catch the news and folk like Melvyn Bragg. If you want a laugh listen to LW R4 when it switches to the morning service at 9.45, (which can be ok listening), but frequently cuts in mid sentence. Hilarious each time, but painful to hear done on the Beeb. As has been said, R4 has an agenda I too find wearisome. I like to think myself moderately pc, Both R3 and 4 still at times totally brilliant, at times trash imho. Then Youtube with an adblocker for a lot of music. I still need to find a convenient way to listen to internet radio.
Old 21st Dec 2022, 6:32 pm   #44
PaulR
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstar View Post
Well, If you want a laugh listen to LW R4 when it switches to the morning service at 9.45, (which can be ok listening), but frequently cuts in mid sentence. Hilarious each time, but painful to hear done on the Beeb.
Similar to the way they cut to Yesterday in Parliament at around 8:30. It always strikes me as very unprofessional.
Old 21st Dec 2022, 8:22 pm   #45
Cathovisor
Banned

One word; automation.
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 7:39 am   #46
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Well, the BBC stations have just disappeared from my internet radio, which is a pity, so I'm on the prowl again for new stations to listen to.

I tend to try find speech stations, but it's an increasingly difficult task. I used to listen to the US National Public Radio stations quite a lot, but during the Trump era, they became increasingly political.

Any new ideas?

B
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 9:13 am   #47
vidjoman
Dekatron

They’re all there for me. In a browser go to the BBC and click the orange Sounds symbol at the top of the page. There’s about 30 different ones plus every local station.
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 10:25 am   #48
Bazz4CQJ
Dekatron

Yes, but internet radios connect via "aggregator" services and whatever one mine uses does not now provide BBC. The BBC channels warned this would happen around mid-2023.

B
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 1:00 pm   #49
whiskas
Octode

Radio 2 or Radio 4 for me - the latter OK most of the time, except when they get political or 'woke' - then I switch back to R2 or classic FM!
I'm all for listening to good debate and discussion, so long as it is neutral and/or fairly balanced and not obviously one-sided as R4 so often can be...
Old 2nd Jun 2023, 1:25 pm   #50
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

For the forseeable - Test Match Special on longwave! An excellent way to exercise an old radio for several days, although this Test might not provide many more hours of listening pleasure...
Closed Thread