UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jan 2023, 9:16 am   #41
Craig Sawyers
Dekatron

Default Re: Time travel

Quote:
Originally Posted by knobtwiddler View Post

Lots of vinyl records that I didn't get then and can't afford now!
I've done this exercise recently. If you take what we were paying for records back in the early/mid 70's and correct for RPI (because it is the only measure from back then), they are the same price in real terms as they were 50 years ago.

And they are much better pressing quality now than they were post 1973 oil crisis, when surplus vinyl was chopped up (including the label) and reused - so records came with pre-installed pops and clicks.

Craig
Old 25th Jan 2023, 1:21 pm   #42
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

If I could go back say to the 1970's I don't think I would want to return to the present.
If I could go back I would try and bring back spares including LOPT's for Decca Bradfords, A640's etc as well as some new or good regunned CRT tubes and valves including Mullard PL509's and PY500A's.
Old 25th Jan 2023, 1:39 pm   #43
greg_simons
Octode

Think i would just load up the van with loads of tellies and valve amps plus as many classic valves as i could carry, might even slip a letter to myself telling me to get on and do a few things i wish I'd done back then, only that would probably alter the law of causality and i wouldn't be here typing this post!.
Greg.
Old 25th Jan 2023, 1:47 pm   #44
knobtwiddler
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Sawyers View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by knobtwiddler View Post

Lots of vinyl records that I didn't get then and can't afford now!
I've done this exercise recently. If you take what we were paying for records back in the early/mid 70's and correct for RPI (because it is the only measure from back then), they are the same price in real terms as they were 50 years ago.

And they are much better pressing quality now than they were post 1973 oil crisis, when surplus vinyl was chopped up (including the label) and reused - so records came with pre-installed pops and clicks.

Craig
A lot of records that I'm after are going for anything between £300 and £2,000. If you're talking about records that now sell for £50, then maybe that does tally with RPI. The price is dictated by how rare the item is. That means you can get amazing records that were pressed in volume for good prices. It also means that indie labels from the 60s and 70s can now fetch bonkers amounts...

A quick perusal of my bookmarks shows:

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/11964044?ev=rb

(Milestone records - they pressed a few, but it's still $$$)

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/691113?ev=rb

https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/7867955?ev=rb

(£200 gets you one in 'good' condition )

edit - and it's worth noting that below 'VG+' is often difficult to listen to. A record that sells for £100 in 'good' condition can fetch 10x that if near-mint.
Old 25th Jan 2023, 1:56 pm   #45
Beobloke
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrimJosef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
I'd grab all the Garrard 301s that the BBC allegedly threw away.
But if you'd grabbed them all then the very rarity which makes them desirable now wouldn't apply. Unless you just fancy having a room full of turntables yourself. And where would the fun be in that ?

Cheers,

GJ
Er.....you have met me once or twice, haven't you?!
Old 28th Jan 2023, 2:11 pm   #46
DrStrangelove
Banned

All the TV's and radios (including a Philips Superinductance) that I took to pieces in the late 60's and early 70's.

Oh woe is me.
Old 30th Jan 2023, 10:53 am   #47
Richardgr
Heptode

Could get complicated.

“I have come to collect that Leak 20 amplifiers you have advertised in the Exchange and Mart last week?”
“Ah yes, somebody else came for them 2 days after the ad”

Back in the time machine …

“I have come to collect that Leak 20 amplifiers you have advertised in the Exchange and Mart yesterday?”
“Ah yes, it was just when the paper was published and we sold them”

“I have come to collect that Leak 20 amplifiers you are planning to advertise tomorrow?”
“This is weird, somebody else said that just 2 hours ago!”

“In the next month you are going to advertise those Leaks of yours. I will save you the cost of the advert!”
“Well, you are not the first person to come by! We have decided we cannot part with them anymore.”
Old 30th Jan 2023, 3:26 pm   #48
Radio Wrangler

Nice one Richard!

Dying under a mountain of avaricious audiophiles who turn out to be the same individual on multiple trips is going to be hell for any concept of causality. Maybe the Daleks would be easier to handle? They only want to exterminate humanity and rule the world, not amything difficult like a PX4 or 301.

David
Old 30th Jan 2023, 8:24 pm   #49
The General
Hexode

These hypothetical exercises can be fun. For me, I would want to pick up a few vintage valve amps at a time when they could be had for peanuts. (I once bought a Leak TL12 Plus with pre-amp for £1.50 in the mid 70s) As others have said, I would also want a few PX25, PX4, etc. What I would do though, is buy a stack load of magic eyes with the emerald green phosphor that have a short life, so EM34, EM80, EM71, 6U5 etc. plus their series heater versions.
I would buy these valves at a point in time when they were still in current manufacture so as not to deplete future stocks. Of course, this presupposes that I could take a large amount of today's currency back in time & spend it seventy years plus ago but since we're talking hypothetically...
Mark
Old 30th Jan 2023, 8:35 pm   #50
Cathovisor
Banned

I think, having had something nice and unexpected drop out of a 1953 copy of Practical Television sent by a friend today, I wouldn't be going back to seek to make a fortune out of what are now coveted items but I think I'd just like to pick up loads of manufacturer's catalogues and leaflets. I have a few holes in my Bush collection that I'd like to fill.

Of course, if a Bush RG37 Auto were to make its way home that wouldn't go amiss: I doubt any of the 1940 Baird TV sets were made, or indeed the Bush P63 TV/radio.
Old 30th Jan 2023, 8:43 pm   #51
greenstar
Octode

Those missing DrWho episodes. Perhaps take back a TV and video recorder. For a second trip, the Titanic radio room.
Old 1st Feb 2023, 4:06 pm   #52
Valvepower
Octode

Hello,

This is much a story as going back in a time machine…

Back in 1979 when I was nineteen, the guitar amplifier company I was working for was sold to FAL, Ron one of the owners, said do I want to buy some valves – he offered me two boxes of 50 Mullard EL34 for 50p pop… that’s 100 EL34’s for £50 – I declined the offer!

About this time, I was taking out my personal pension… Well, I’d travel back to 1979 and say to the young Terry, it’s a good idea going with the pension (with caveats!), however, buy those valves and pop them in a vault and leave them in there until your pension matures and then take them out and sell them!

Terry.
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 12:44 pm   #53
Richardgr
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvepower View Post
Back in 1979 when I was nineteen, the guitar amplifier company I was working for was sold to FAL, Ron one of the owners, said do I want to buy some valves – he offered me two boxes of 50 Mullard EL34 for 50p pop… that’s 100 EL34’s for £50 – I declined the offer!
Terry.
Call this a silly question, but what was the address and do you recall the date? ... and then something like 'Terry changed his mind and asked me to pop over for the valves'?

Just hypothetically of course ...
Old 3rd Feb 2023, 4:58 pm   #54
Brigham
Octode

A box of Eidophor 'tips' might be a good idea...
Closed Thread