UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jan 2023, 3:11 pm   #1
Wendymott
Octode

Default ROVER Signal meter

Hi Peeps. When I retired from the TV industry, I acquired a ROVER TDA6S TV signal level meter. Its a nice thing to have, "just in case". However, it was always "Battery discharged" when I came to use it., the Mains adaptor was ok, but I had other pressing things to do, on the occasions I required it, thankfully it worked ok on mains supply.
However, after 7 years I decided to give it a "Coat of looking at". The internal battery pack was 5 X "C" cells. Fully discharged. I unwrapped the plastic tape holding it together and two "cardboard" ends removed. The batteries, after some coxing " a few amps".. seemed ok. So why ?? then it dawned on me.. the cardboard ends looked a bit iffy. Metering the surface revealed leakage. Thus the cells were constantly being discharged. I cleaned the cell ends, and replaced the ends with 2.5MM plasic card. The cell container is very tight, so I had to use plastic tape again, just to provide some additional insulation.
I will know in a few weeks if it was successful.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery case.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	271034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Battery base.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	271035  

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 7th Jan 2023, 6:38 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: ROVER Signal meter

Is there a real, physical on/off switch or just some 'soft' control?

I have found a lot of such devices draw enough current in what is effectively 'standby' to flatten the battery pack in a fairly short time. If you don't mind having to re-enter any settings every time you use the thing, it's worth adding a switch in series with the battery to ensure it really is 'off'.
Old 7th Jan 2023, 9:13 pm   #3
Radio Wrangler

Does it read anything useful for finding and comparing DVB-T multiplexes? If so it could be a handy antenna aiming aid.

David
Old 8th Jan 2023, 4:58 pm   #4
Wendymott
Octode

Hi David. Yes used many times for antenna alignment. Tony. Yes its a "soft switch"
May be an idea to add a "Hard switch". Good thinking

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Old 9th Jan 2023, 3:01 pm   #5
Wendymott
Octode

Tony. Hard switch fitted, now I can rely on the batteries staying "up"

Regards
Wendy G8BZY
Closed Thread