UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Sep 2013, 12:11 pm   #1
JohnBHanson
Heptode

Default Epson PX8 Printer Problem.

I have an epson PX8 that has died. I have checked the voltage rails and also the CPU clocks and they appear in order, address and data lines are moving.

When I power it on it does not display anything on the lcd screen, but the CAPS lock light comes on sometimes.

Any ideas?
Old 19th Sep 2013, 2:48 pm   #2
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Default Re: Epson PX8 Printer Problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBHanson View Post
I have an epson PX8 that has died. I have checked the voltage rails and also the CPU clocks and they appear in order, address and data lines are moving.

When I power it on it does not display anything on the lcd screen, but the CAPS lock light comes on sometimes.

Any ideas?
I don't know the machine personally, but it sounds as though everything may be working bar the display.

Unlike modern alphanumeric LCD displays, first generation LCDs often needed a negative bias voltage for the contrast circuit, with the -Ve supply possibly generated by a dedicated negative output from the main PSU, or an ICL7660 voltage inverter IC, or a switched-mode power supply using a general purpose switchmode IC or a discrete oscillator circuit. Could this be your problem?

(By the way, did you really mean 'printer' in your subject heading? Or did you mean 'computer'? I know that there was actually a printer for the PX8 but I've never seen one with a caps lock light).

Last edited by SiriusHardware; 19th Sep 2013 at 2:57 pm.
Closed Thread