UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 12th May 2006, 10:02 pm   #1
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Question Pye 9104T

I've got a dinky little Pye 9104T cassette recorder in which all the drive belts have degenerated to a nasty, sticky black mess.

Long shot I know, but would anyone happen to know the sizes of the required belts so I can replace them ?

Failing that, I'm thinking of winding some cord/string round the pulleys and then measuring the length to calculate the diameter. Having done this, I would then buy some new belts to slightly smaller diameters than those of the lengths of string. How smaller though ? for example, if the string test gave a diameter of, say, 30mm, how smaller diameter would the proper belt need to be ? Hope you all get the gist of what I'm bumbling on about
Old 12th May 2006, 10:23 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Pye 9104T

Seems like a sensible way of doing it to me. I would straighten the string, measure it and divide by PI (3.142) to get the diameter, as it's more accurate than trying to lay the string loop in a circle.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 12th May 2006, 10:26 pm   #3
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Stenning
Seems like a sensible way of doing it to me. I would straighten the string, measure it and divide by PI (3.142) to get the diameter, as it's more accurate than trying to lay the string loop in a circle.
Yes, that is exactly what I plan to do. You worded it more straightforward than I did Paul
Old 13th May 2006, 6:53 am   #4
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

I think your machine is a clone of the Philips EL3302 (Philips controlled Pye of Cambridge by the time your recorder was made).

If I'm correct, you have two belts - one small and one much larger (which connects the motor to the main capstan flywheel and the take-up spool clutch). They are of square cross section (1.2mm x 1.2mm).

I use belts with diameters of 71mm and 21mm.

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 13th May 2006, 8:40 am   #5
Ed_Dinning
Dekatron

Hi Darren, there are available a series of "O" ring kits from industrial suppliers as well as RS etc. These contain lengths of various diameter of "belt" material, it is sometimes possible to get square section as well. The kit has a cutting jig and an instant adhesive, all you need to replicate belts.

HTH ED
Old 13th May 2006, 11:02 am   #6
yestertech
Nonode

Dazzlevision is correct re 'clone' - The "belt guide" I have issued by CES in 1972 lists
EL3302 = PYE 9104 = STELLA ST473
no specs for the belt, but the orig PNs were :
DRIVE 358.30076
WIND/REW 358.30077

There may just be someone, somewhere with some old stock

Andy

PS both appear to be listed here, assuming its the right item ?? >>>> http://www.fibra-brandt.com/

Last edited by yestertech; 13th May 2006 at 11:07 am.
Old 13th May 2006, 1:35 pm   #7
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello Again.

The belts I described in my previous post to this thread are readily available from the likes of CPC at Preston or SEME-Nedis at Melton Mowbray.

My concern about "new old stock" genuine Philips spare belts is will they turn to goo quickly, when installed (if they haven't started to already in their plastic storage bags)?

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 13th May 2006, 11:18 pm   #8
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for all the comments so far Regarding the Philips connection, the only real clue to this is that the instruction book (which came with the machine) is 'Printed in Holland'. It seems, too, that Philips/Pye went to some lengths to inform the public that the machine was made in Austria 'for and on behalf of Pye Ltd'.

To the above end, there's a prominent label stuck on one side of the machines case to that effect, furthermore there's the large metal label (seen on the front) which also makes clear the Austrian origins. Where this metal label should be I haven't yet discovered, I just laid it on the front of the machine for purposes of the photograph. From all this I presume Philips had a manufacturing facility in Austria.

Regarding the belts, there are indeed two. Of the two attached images, one shows the chassis - and the goo which was once drive belts can clearly be seen. The rubber 'tyre' around the pulley which is driven from the flywheel has, by contrast, survived unscathed. Different material I suppose.

A peep at Maplins website reveals that they sell a limited selection of cassette recorder belts (£1.99 each). I'm fortunate that I live just a few minutes from a Maplins so-called 'superstore' but if there's none suitable there I'll try the other places as suggested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-001S.JPG
Views:	161
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	3746   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-003S.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	3747  
Old 13th May 2006, 11:40 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The pictures confirm it's definitely an EL3302 clone
Old 14th May 2006, 6:39 am   #10
dazzlevision
Dekatron

Hello,

The large "for and on behalf of ....." label is usually stuck on the rear of the case (that's where I recall them being).

Philips did indeed have a very big factory in Vienna, Austria, where they made audio tape recorders and later switched production to VCRs. I think it is now closed or "in greatly reduced circumstances"!

Interestingly enough, the very earliest Philips battery only cassette recorders - the EL3300 and EL3301 were made in at least three countries - Austria, Holland and England. Perhaps the Vienna factory was not in full swing until the mid-1960s.

I think the acquisition of Pye by Philips may have spelt the end for Philips' range of "Stella" branded "clones".

Regards,

Dazzlevision
Old 14th May 2006, 10:02 am   #11
mitajohn
Pentode

Hi all,

I own one of these legendary Philips EL3301, after their invention of compact cassette, since 1963, in very good working order. Yours is definitely a clone of this. I can measure the belts and post the info here if its needed. But if you find a similar belt, you can adjust the tape speed with the trimmer on the pcb in front of the flywheel.

John.

Last edited by mitajohn; 14th May 2006 at 10:09 am.
Old 14th May 2006, 10:34 am   #12
mitajohn
Pentode

By the way the drive belt has the Philips original code number: 4822 175 01126. The small one, for the tape winding, has the original code number: 4822 163 00915.

John.
Old 14th May 2006, 12:12 pm   #13
Michael Maurice

I was given an EL3302 in 1969 for my 12th Birthday.

The EL3300 is not the same as the EL3302.

The EL3300 used Germanium transistors and didn't have a speed control, interestingly it didn't have 'record protect' mechanism either.

The EL3302 used silicon transistors and a small PCB had the motor speed regulator circuit. There was record protection built into this machine.

The difference is shown in the underside of the two machines.

An article charting the development of the cassette system (written by me) is featured in the May issue of Technology @ Home, www.technology-at-home.co.uk

Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EL3300 bottom.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	3752   Click image for larger version

Name:	EL3302 Bottom.JPG
Views:	154
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	3753  
Old 14th May 2006, 3:19 pm   #14
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Actually there are more variations than that.

The EL3302A/15 uses all germanium transistors (AC125/126/127/128) whereas the EL3302A/15G uses a mix of germanium and silicon (4 silicon BC148 etc and 5 germanium incl AC187/188 for the output). I have service data for both variants.

The earlier EL3300 is distinguisable by having a round record button (and no record protect thing for the tab on the top of the tape, as mentioned) whereas the EL3302 has a rectangular button. The EL3300 has an all-germanium circuit very similar (maybe identical) to the EL3302A/15 but (as mentioned) without the speed control which is on a separate PCB in the EL3302.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 14th May 2006, 7:15 pm   #15
mitajohn
Pentode

Well for your info, the EL3301 I own since 1963, has the pcb for tape speed adjustment, the red round record button, the cassette record protection tab and all germanium transistors in its circuitry, it was made in Austria.

John
Old 14th May 2006, 10:45 pm   #16
reelguy
Heptode

I have a EL3300 and a EL3301. The EL3300 has a round WHITE record button and the EL3301 has the round RED record button .And as Paul said, The EL3300 doesn't have the record protect tab.
I had a look inside both m/cs earlier and found the belts have turned to Goo. Another job for the to do list.Provided I can find belts.
Peter W Reelguy I have the service info for the EL3301.
PS.. I have seen these M/cs come up on EBAY but they do not fetch much due people not being aware of the fact that they started the cassette revolution {If thats the right word?} and the slow death of Reel to Reel recorders.......... .
Closed Thread