UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 19th May 2006, 7:17 am   #1
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Question Sharp Radio/Cassette

I have been given for repair a VERY large Sharp radio/cassette for repair basicaly it is a twin deck unit and the heads are shot to bits. Can i still get these from the likes of Farnell??. I dont really want to do the job, as its going to be a to get the decks out. But he insists he wants it doing they are both bulk standard rec/play heads.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Andrew_Keith; 19th May 2006 at 7:27 am.
Old 19th May 2006, 7:46 am   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Sharp Radio/Cassette

I think CPC still stock one or two standard spare heads. Check the dimension between the front of the head and the fixing holes as there are two or three different standard sizes and CPC only do one of the smaller ones.

With some of these radio/cassette units, when you remove the screws from the back, the whole front of the case lifts away. You have to open both tape doors and maybe pull off some knobs first. Then the decks are easily accessible and can be removed for access to the electronics behind.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 19th May 2006, 8:03 am   #3
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for that Paul, do you know if cpc accept credit card or postal orders as i dont have an account with them?.
Old 19th May 2006, 8:36 am   #4
percival007
Heptode

Hi,
i think CPC do accept credit cards as payment.
We have some cassette tape heads knocking around, if you send me the sizes i'll have a look for you and ask "the Gaffer" how much he wants for them.
Cheers, Percy.
Old 19th May 2006, 9:03 am   #5
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Smile Re: Sharp Radio/Cassette

Thanks for that percy, i will check the size over the weekend when i get chance then just let me know how much you want, even decent second hand ones will do as the ones in it now have a VERY deep groove in them, and have obviously had much use. Even though they are alighned correctly sound is so muffled its unuseable But it was a very expensive unit in the early 80s so is worth it

Kind regards.
Old 19th May 2006, 10:22 am   #6
paulsherwin

You could probably scavenge a set of heads from a scrap unit. Keep an eye on your local skip

If you get really stuck send me a PM as I've got a scrap Panasonic radio cassette somewhere in the loft - it was used by builders and is unrestorable, but the heads should be OK.

Paul
Old 19th May 2006, 2:41 pm   #7
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Thumbs up Re: Sharp Radio/Cassette

Thanks very much for that Paul will let you know if i get stuck

Regards.
Old 19th May 2006, 3:20 pm   #8
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Andrew,

These big Sharps are quite collectable, the best fetching 3-figure sums

Sadly, cassette heads are VERY difficult to get hold of now, with most of the main suppliers selling what they've got left then discontinuing them. CPC, for example, used to have a huge range only 5 years ago, but now has next to nothing

I got some recently from DALBANI's aka NIKKO, part number NIKK0-666 @ 81p + VAT each, website www.dalbani.co.uk , payment by debit card accepted

If they're "specials" e.g. autoreverse or non-standard "Sony" mounting, then ones from a scrapper might be your only choice.

Nick.
Old 19th May 2006, 5:59 pm   #9
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

Another possible supplier of cassette heads here:-

http://www.donberg.ie/search/search....&group=&page=0

Regards, Mick.
Old 19th May 2006, 6:10 pm   #10
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Hello Nick Nice to hear from you, yes it is a VERY BIG Sharp with six inch bass units and separate tweeters, I am going to strip it down this weekend to take out the heads which is something i have been putting off . Richard and paul sherwin have offered to help me out with heads if i get stuck, so will measure them and take it from there. For a city the size of Manchester where i live the number of component suppliers is terrible I must say i have seen a fair number of tape heads in my time, but the wear on these is quite beyond belief. Someone must have been trying to listen to it in this state for quite some time before they got rid of it. But the switches drives and pots all seem noise free so i think it will restore well.

Regards.
Old 21st May 2006, 1:43 am   #11
paolo
Heptode

Sorry to burst into this thread but I've got a Sharp GF-6060 dating from about 1982. Everything still works fine except that the pinch roller has started to turn to mush. Can replacements still be obtained? I don't have a clue as to how to go about sourcing one and places such as dalbani require at least a part code
Old 21st May 2006, 8:30 am   #12
Michael Maurice

Try Charles Hyde 01759 303068, www.chsinteractive.co.uk they are official Sharp spares distributors, also try Alan Dysons tech line, its a premium rate number but he may be able to give you a part number, his number is 0906 861 5915 calls cost 60p/min

I hope this helps

Michael
Old 21st May 2006, 8:38 am   #13
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Micheal, I will follow this up failing that i will just fit standard R/P heads.

Kind Regards.
Old 23rd May 2006, 5:10 pm   #14
Andrew_Keith
Retired Dormant Member

Finaly got around to taking the Sharp apart today. I have as Paul Stenning suggested measured them. The total depth from front to back is 12mm, the distance from the mounting screws to the back is just over 1mm. They do look very standard, and very knackered!!. Paul you were right the entire front of the machine does come away leaving the speakers on a flying lead with pcb connector . This is one hellish complicated piece of kit with no less than twelve sub-boards connected to the main pcb8 . I am glad its only the heads that have gone .

Regards.
Closed Thread