UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Dec 2012, 1:21 pm   #41
Herald1360
Dekatron

Default Re: Medley brand - anyone?

Perhaps just inspect it for flats and chips under a small microscope. A "toy" one complete with 2 AA batteries and a lens end bulb used to be available from ELC and is quite handy for other stuff too.

This is the one I was thinking of: (it's cheap too!)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytronic-Il...ht_1508wt_1162
.........O..Chris....O
Old 20th Dec 2012, 12:52 pm   #42
Gulliver
Hexode

I've had a brainwave and remembered what happened to the internal power amp.

In the 70's we had a cat who had a fondness for chewing wires. She chewed one of the wires between the Medley and the speakers and probably caused a short.

I have only used the tape output sockets so far, hooking up to the aux input of a modern stereo receiver. In the near future I will try it with speakers on the "L.S." output and see what happens. If memory serves it is the left channel that's ********...very distorted. If you look at the photo of the rear you'll see the Medley has sockets for tuner in, tape in and tape out with a switch on the front "tuner, gram, tape" so it can be used as the basis for a quite comprehensive system if it's built in amp is utilised.

I have a cunning plan. My dad installed a second set of bookshelf speakers (TDL brand) in the kitchen which my mum now never uses. I could use them to make the Medley into a bedroom system
Old 20th Dec 2012, 12:54 pm   #43
ben
Dekatron

Try it with a junk speaker (something off freecycle or from a boot sale) in case there is DC on the output.
Old 31st Jan 2014, 10:39 pm   #44
Gulliver
Hexode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
I suspect the 'speakers you describe were 13"x8". EMI seemed to be the main manufacturer of these.
I haven't managed to do any more work on the record player but pretty soon it's making the trip from Letchworth to Luton so that myself and a friend can make a stab at the amplifier electronics.

But I discovered that the speakers were NOT thrown away. My dad must have stashed them away in the attic a few years before the Medley went up there.

I haven't retrieved the speakers yet but I do remember that they were sounding very ropey. I think that the material was deteriorated very badly, with gapes between the drivers and the metal surround.

Is there any way to repair these? I am faced with the possibility of mating the record player back with it's original speakers if it's possible.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EMIspeakers.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	88484  
Old 31st Jan 2014, 11:02 pm   #45
vidjoman
Dekatron

May I chip in with a long memory.

Back in the 60's there was a 'wholesale' firm that delivered plinths and turntables to retailers and were based in the old tram sheds at either Plumstead or Woolwich. They made the plinths and because of this they were able to buy 'manufacturing stock' of turntables free of purchase tax (remember that). They would bundle them up and sell them on to retailers. It's quite likely that they had the amplifiers made for them and just screwed them in the boxes. Not uncommon, that's how many well known names started.
It was owned by a Mr Frank Medley. I met him on many occasions when I worked in retail and he was a typical 'Del Boy' type of character. From what I remember he never put his name/address on to any of the items he made. Last time I saw him he was 'working' in a Hi-Fi shop in Brighton that he said was owned by his son and that was back in the early 80's.

Just looked again at the picture of the inside - noticed that the power amp boards are plugged into with what looks like B9A valve bases and plugs. I've definitely seen that before. I'll have a think in my sleep tonight to try and remember where.

Last edited by vidjoman; 31st Jan 2014 at 11:07 pm. Reason: Added info
Old 1st Feb 2014, 10:18 am   #46
Gulliver
Hexode

That's entirely possible. The unit does have a "low production run" look to it, as has been mentioned before. There was once a professionally printed instruction manual but that seems to have gone. It *might* have had a company address on it but there's nothing on the machine itself.

My dad probably picked it up lightly used towards the very end of the 60's as I doubt he'd have been able to afford it new at that time. He had it when my parents met in 1969.
Old 4th Feb 2014, 1:24 pm   #47
Gulliver
Hexode

I have more details of Medley the company!

I located the instruction manual and managed to grab a few photos with my phone before my mother insisted I "put that rubbish away" (she has no heart for vintage electronics).

Anyway it was the Medley Music Company, 4 Felltram Way London SE7

I am having terrible troubles with my PC at work editing photos, and no time at home so I have uploaded just the front and back of the manual, which is quite professionally presented. The handwriting is my dad's and might related to prices he paid for the unit and that he could have bought it from "Home Radio Mitcham". That retailer brings up a few hits on Google, from people discussing them in forums.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20140203_182324.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	88604   Click image for larger version

Name:	Medley1.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	88605  

Last edited by Gulliver; 4th Feb 2014 at 1:36 pm.
Old 4th Feb 2014, 1:58 pm   #48
Gulliver
Hexode

A free search shows "Medley Musical Ltd", registered company 00749181 has been dissolved (unsurprising). No directors or addresses were given so I am guessing they went out of business quite a long time ago.

Is anyone here able to do a more detailed search?
Old 11th Sep 2018, 12:53 pm   #49
Gulliver
Hexode

Default Garrard 2025 autochanger mechanism

Some of you may remember the "Medley Record Player" thread I posted 2/3 years ago. For those who do, I want to say that the "crushed and rusted" record player is now back as pride of place in the home of a very close friend....I kind of feel I waited 30 years to find someone worthy of giving my dad's record player to.

So...it's reasonably presentable, working at the correct speeds and sounding splendid. But the autochanger doesn't work, not even to reject a disc. I din't have the changer spindle, would this stop the mechanism from working even the reject function? It's a Garrard 2025 deck (not the TC variant)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180909_171257.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	169107  

Last edited by Gulliver; 11th Sep 2018 at 1:03 pm.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 1:06 pm   #50
tracypaper
Octode

Default Re: Garrard 2025 autochanger mechanism

Hi.
Sounds like the trip pawl is not working correctly. Take of the platter (deck as it's sometimes known) and underneath there should be a big cog/gear, on that gear should be a small mechanism, strip the mechanism and clean and replace with no grease or oil, might as well clean and re-grease the gear and spindle as well while you have the platter off.
Gaz.
Old 11th Sep 2018, 3:52 pm   #51
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Original thread here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=88082

Make that SIX years ago
Old 23rd Sep 2018, 10:12 pm   #52
Gulliver
Hexode

Success! Thank you, I now have the return mechanism working.

From pride of place in the early 70s, to crushed and rusted in the loft....to pride of place again. It really fills my heart with joy to know that my dad's record player is loved again. And I get to hear it regularly!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	42374657_10155522183431577_9166814760744779776_n.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	169788  
Old 24th Sep 2018, 12:10 pm   #53
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Medley Hi-Fi Compact music centre

Threads merged and re-titled.
Old 24th Sep 2018, 12:51 pm   #54