UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Equipment Transport Requests and Arrangements

Notices

Equipment Transport Requests and Arrangements For discussions about the 'forum courier service' and other arrangements to get sets and parts from one forum member to another. For non-commercial transactions only.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Mar 2018, 9:45 pm   #1
1100 man
Heptode

Default From Newport, Wales to various options!!

Good evening,
Would anyone be willing to collect a 20" Ultra 6823 TV from Neil29 in Newport and take it to any of the following places and then keep it for me until I can collect?

1) Anywhere near the A3 from Portsmouth to London.
2) Anywhere near the M25 or M11 in Herts or Essex.
3) Great Dunmow, Stansted Airport, Braintree etc.
4) The NVCF in May
5) Anywhere in or near the New Forest.

I would be very grateful for any help.
Many thanks
Nick
Old 29th Mar 2018, 12:18 pm   #2
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: From Newport, Wales to various options!!

I may be able to help with this, bringing it to the NVCF. However I would need to collect it from Neil the day before and leave it in the car overnight, as I don't have anywhere to store it. I am assuming you would collect from me at the NVCF.

Please PM me if you don't get a better offer.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Committee Member
Old 29th Mar 2018, 6:43 pm   #3
1100 man
Heptode

Hi Paul,
Thank you for your kind offer. Yes, I would collect it from you at the NVCF. It's fine if it stays in the car overnight unless someone damages the car trying to nick it!
If that arrangement would suit both yourself & Neil, that would be great.
I'll pm you both later tonight or tomorrow and find out if Neil is happy to hold on to it until May.
Many thanks
Nick
Old 29th Mar 2018, 11:15 pm   #4
Paul Stenning
Administrator

My car would be in the private parking area for the flats, behind a barrier and with CCTV. TV would be under a blanket. I'm sure it will be fine.

If Neil is happy to hold onto it until May then all is good with me. I have picked up some stuff from him before.

Paul Stenning
Old 30th Mar 2018, 10:57 am   #5
hamid_1
Hexode

I'm also interested in the 3850 TV (Thorn 1615) that neil29 offered along with the above-mentioned Ultra 6823 TV.

Would it be possible to collect both at the same time and bring them to the NVCF, assuming there's enough room in the car? They are both 20" table model sets (not massive).

Have sent a PM to Neil who suggested collecting both together. I think that means he's willing to hold on to them until the NVCF in May.
Old 30th Mar 2018, 12:04 pm   #6
Paul Stenning
Administrator

I have four large archive boxes of paperwork to bring too, but it should all fit in the back of my Yaris with the back seats town. It makes sense to collect and bring both together, assuming Neil is happy to hold them until then.

Would it be best to transport the TVs the normal way up or face down (on a duvet or something for padding)? I obviously don't want to damage the tube necks, and assume these sets only have card backs.

Paul Stenning
Old 30th Mar 2018, 3:57 pm   #7
slidertogrid
Heptode

I would normally transport small slimline sets like these upright facing forward if possible, wedged and or packed so as they can't move around. this type of set seem a bit front heavy and tend to fall forward fairly easily.
They take up less room this way. but if the floor of the Yaris is fairly flat they would be fine on the screens on as you suggested, a duvet. My friend used to transport smaller sets screen down on thick foam removed from an old chair or sofa.
The back on the later set is plastic the 1500 would usually have a pressed card back.
Back when I used to shift a lot of ex rentals the sets would go in the car or van on their end packed fairly tight with card between them to protect the screens. In my Hi ace van I could get a row in on end cardboard on top then a row the right way up on top with a further layer of card then in went the VCrs followed by more card then stands (dismantled)..
That would make the van creak a bit but it lasted 10 years and nearly 300 thousand miles like that!
Happy days!

Rich.
Old 30th Mar 2018, 5:15 pm   #8
1100 man
Heptode

Neil would seem to be resigned to keeping the sets until Paul can collect them, so it sounds like a plan has been formed. Obviously, Paul is the one doing all the hard work, so I guess he will have the final say!
As Rich says, TV's tend to be front heavy and so will fall forward. As the seats will be flat, I would also favour transporting the sets the right way up, facing forwards with padding in front to protect the tube face.
Many thanks again to Paul & Neil.
Presumably, we will exchange PM's nearer to the NVCF to make final arrangements?
Cheers
Nick
Old 1st Apr 2018, 7:27 pm   #9
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Thank you. I'm away at the moment, so I'll message Neil later in the week when I'm back and hopefully get this all confirmed. I'll contact Nick and Hamid once I've confirmed with Neil, to exchange mobile numbers for the day.

Paul Stenning
Old 5th Apr 2018, 6:51 pm   #10
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Neil has confirmed that he is happy to hold onto the sets until the day before the NVCF, so I think this request is sorted.

I will contact everyone during the week before to finalise details and swap mobile numbers etc.

Paul Stenning
Old 5th Apr 2018, 9:20 pm   #11
1100 man
Heptode

Many thanks, Paul: I'll wait to hear from you.
All the best
Nick
Old 7th Apr 2018, 6:59 pm   #12
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Neil is now going to Mikey's junk swap in Solihull (see https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=145423) the day before the NVCF so I now cannot collect the sets from him in Newport that day, and it is not practical for me to collect earlier.

Because of this the offer and arrangements above no longer apply, and new arrangements will need to be made.

However it would probably be a lot easier for him to pass the sets onto the recipients at Solihull if they are going, or to someone else there to take onto the NVCF.

Paul Stenning
Old 7th Apr 2018, 10:01 pm   #13
1100 man
Heptode

OK, I'll contact Neil and make other arrangements. Many thanks for your kind offer- it was most appreciated!
All the best
Nick
Closed Thread