UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2016, 9:39 pm   #1
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Toshiba RT-7025 'boom box' (1985)

A neighbour offered me this set in a pretty dusty condition. 1980s boom boxes are not my thing at all, but as usual I couldn't see it skipped so I took pity on it. The 4-band AM/FM radio basically worked, but the cassette mechanism didn't, due to the main drive belt having turned to goo.

The machine itself is a delight to work on, and appears to have been designed with quick and easy servicing in mind; the speakers are detached by sliding up, five screws release the front panel, and the graphic equaliser board and cassette mechanism simply lift out, the wires being long enough to enable the cassette deck to be turned over for access to the belt. The motor is released by twisting it, enabling the goo to be cleaned off the pulley with liquid lighter fuel. Two screws release the rear capstan bearing, and a new belt can be slipped on in seconds. I brushed away the accumulated dust, gave the heads a good clean and reassembled everything. Off it went like a good 'un, giving remarkably good quality sound on record and playback, especially when recording from the built-in microphone. A quick wipe over with Baby Wipes and a duster restored a reasonable finish to the cabinet.

The repair job took barely any longer than writing this report!

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Toshiba TR-7025 before.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	127835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Toshiba TR-7025 after.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	127836  

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Old 26th Jul 2016, 9:47 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Toshiba TR-7025 'boom box' (1985)

There were a number of very similar models by a range of manufacturers made at that time. I owned a Philips one for a while. The detachable speakers are nothing special but do allow it to be used semi-permanently in a bedroom or kitchen with a decent stereo spread.

They do tend to look a lot more sophisticated than they actually are - I used to call this the "sheep in wolf's clothing" look. Nevertheless, they work well enough for what they are.
Old 26th Jul 2016, 10:07 pm   #3
Phil G4SPZ
Dekatron

Default Re: Toshiba TR-7025 'boom box' (1985)

You've summed it up very well, Paul. The cassette deck is sturdy, but a bit clunky and lacks any sophisticated features such as auto-stop, Dolby or a tape counter. The radio works pretty well though, even on short wave.

Optimist [n]: One who is not in possession of the full facts
Closed Thread