UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Offered and Wanted Messages > Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps)

Notices

Sets, Parts and Service Information Wanted (private buyers only, no swaps) If you need help obtaining components, sets or equipment, post a message here. Private buyers only - no traders. No swaps.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Feb 2013, 10:36 am   #1
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Default Early OMEX MC006 music centre wanted by private buyer.

Has anyone got an early OMEX MC006 music centre from around 1973/1974 which has "OMEX MC006 written in big bold white writing (left hand side of front panel, either side of bull's eye logo)

I have attached a pic of the handbook I have left for you to see what I mean:-

Most later ones have thinner/smaller white writing and are not the same or as good as the one I had which was manufactured during 1973 and given to me by my nan in the early 1990's.

Can pay by Paypal or postal orders, must be willing/able to post or pack for courier to collect after payment is received.

Please help if you can - Thanks
Old 5th Mar 2013, 10:35 pm   #2
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Default Re: Early OMEX MC006 music centre wanted by private buyer.

Well, just to let you all know that one guy over in Sweden answered my ad on gumtree week before last and said he had an Omex music centre which was bought new by his dad during the 1970s, he said that it dosent have the big "OMEX MC006" writing but it is in perfect cosmetic condition and all working except the right channel is very weak...Well being desprate I bought it and had it brought over from Sweden by UPS, It arrived earlier today (5th March2013) and in one peice considering how many placed it's been through before in arrived here in the UK and was finally delivered to me!

Well it wasn't the one that I originally wanted, but it was a good compromise! and well worth the wait!.

After lunch, it was time to put a uk plug on it and see what this baby can do!, It was/is all working, except like the guy said the left channel was dead/very weak, just like all my other Omex's which I had bought and collected in the past

I am determind to fix this one until I manage to find an early on made before "13th Feburary 1975" as this one despite being for the Swedish market still has the newer type amplifier board with those bad transistors (4 of them!, 2 of c1162's and 2 of a715's) which are near impossible to find! and do not last!

Enjoy the pics
Old 5th Mar 2013, 11:14 pm   #3
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Hello,

I am intrigued by your passion for these Omex machines. It's not a brand I've ever heard of, and looking at the pictures, it's a fairly average machine (I don't mean that in an unkind way, I just mean that music centres of this basic design and quality were extremely widespread in the seventies).

The construction, with PCBs fitted directly to a removable chipboard baseboard is quite unusual.

Do you know much about the company who actually made them? Where did your nan get hers? I wonder whether they were a catalogeue company's brand?

The components and PCBs don't look European to me, more like equipment made in Taiwan or somewhere similar.

BTW, the transistor types you mention will be 2SC1162 and 2SA715 - Japanese numbering convention.
Nick.

Last edited by Nickthedentist; 5th Mar 2013 at 11:21 pm.
Old 6th Mar 2013, 9:33 am   #4
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Hi Nick,

Thanks for your imput

Yes I agree with you that this was a very basic music centre, nothing like some of the cool Japanese ones such as Sony or Sanyo etc which were ultra modern with their sound/beat meters, led's and dolby features!

I have a modern Sony HI-FI from 1996 which is really awsome, and also one Mitsubishi MC-7500 HiFi Music Centre from around 1980 (ish) which is still going strong and has those sound/beat meters!

I just liked the Omex music centres because of the one I was given by my nan when I was a kid and it sounded great except the bsr deck was badly jammed, unfortunately my German shepard dog decided to knock over my orange drink when I had the machine open to try and repair the record deck and this ruined the amp badly

This one I got from the Swedish guy is in great order as you can see by the photos and was made about 2 years after the one my nan gave me which she said was bought from TJ Hughes on London road Liverpool back in the day.

To be honest, thay seem to be untra rare and only a handfull of people have actually heard of OMEX PRODUCTS LIMITED which as far as I know was based in Surrey and the teak wooden cabinets were manufactured in Southend (stamped "Southend Cabinets ltd")

The base is 10mm thick chipboard which has all the circuit boards bolted down to it and I'm amazed at the lack of air holes to let the machine "breathe"

I am hoping that someone somewhere might get come across one (which has that bigger writing of the front) while doing a house clearance or something and put it up on eBay one day

There was also an amazing Hacker music centre on eBay last week which I let go (now wish I had bid!) so I guess anything is possible
Old 6th Mar 2013, 10:27 am   #5
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

This may be slightly OT, but, in 1979 Practical Wireless published a series of articles(I still have the relevant magazines somewhere!)on building a Music Centre, and the firm who supplied the parts kits sourced their cabinets & trim from Omex. (possibly after Omex UK ceased trading?) The PW design featured Varicap Tuning, rather than the airspaced tuning capacitor in your photo, and a different audio PCB. I built one to the PW design, but sold it maybe almost 30 years ago now, so unfortunately can't help with parts for yours, Bittiboy.
Old 6th Mar 2013, 10:30 am   #6
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Thanks for the info. All I could find about the company (without paying) was on this site, which says that they were incorporated in 1973 and that the company is now dissolved: http://ukdata.com/company/01128757/O...ODUCTS-LIMITED

Do set up an automatic search on eBay so that if one's listed, you'll know about it. I can't imagaine there would be anyone else interested so you might get a bargain.

BTW if you spill a drink onto a PCB, you can probably save it by rinsing with loads of water, shaking off the excess, drying with a hairdryer, then leaving in a warm place for a week to dry off properly. Obviously, if the power's on when the disaster happens, then that's a different matter and the damage could be much worse.

Nick.
Old 6th Mar 2013, 8:23 pm   #7
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Hey guys, thanks for your posts and thanks Nic also for the transistor code "2S" which I also discovered a while ago when googling those transistors in question 2SC1162 and 2SA715.

I did buy some of those 2SC1162's and 2SA715's and carefully changed all those bad transistors on another OMEX set which was the first one I acquired (about the middle of 1996) after trying to replace the one my nan gave me, It worked ok for a while after I replaced those transistors (2SC1162 and 2SA715) but then gradually started to fail on the left channel

The one my nan gave me had green colour transistors in place of the grey ones and they looked slightly more beefed up but without that old amp circuit board now there is just no way of knowing what those transistors were that were used in 1973.

I have taken pics of all my OMEX's which I have, some are very tatty! and the one I got in 1996 and the other one on March 05th 2013 are the best two despite their faults!

Livewire, you are 100% correct about the radio circuit being different on the newer ones, I have a couple which were made on 21st May 1976 and 26th August 1976 and the radios are totally different to the ones made in 13th February 1975 and 16th April 1975 (the one I first got in 1996)

They also changed the real teak vaneered cabinets for this horriable cheap looking plastic vaneer which didn't age well at all as you can see!

They all have serial numbers on a small label and the oldest one that I now have is serial number "12746" (manufactuered on Thursday 13th February 1975) which translates into twelve thousand seven hundred fourty five sets which were made before this one! (12746)

This is very interesting, so in 1976 this had almost doubled at 22,000 and something.

I do know from a google search that I did for "Omex products limited" that they first stated there business on 31st December 1969 (new year's eve) and that they traded until October 1977 when they went bust.

I'm sure that they are planty of early Omex Mc006's out there in the UK still sitting in attics and other places gathering dust! which were from that first 1,000 batch or so, probably made around 1972/1973 and have still survived whilst others were probably taken to the local tip! or sitting in house clearance shops waiting to be sold to some one who just wants an old set to play a few records on like 33's, 45's & 78's!

The pics are in this order, Omex 1 (first picture) wasmade on 16th April 1975 and is the one I first got in 1996 (my pride & joy!),Omex's 2 & 3 were the next ones I got about 1998 and 2000 which are very tatty and have bits missing from them, they were made on 21st May 1976 and 06th August 1976.

Finally in the next batch of pics will be Omex no 4 which is the one I got this year (March 2013) and came from a guy over in Sweden
Old 6th Mar 2013, 8:33 pm   #8
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Pics continued from above post:

More pics of the Swedish omex serial no "12746" and the original hand books which are round 39 and 37 years old.

And finally is a pic of the latest serial number "24864" which is one of those tatty ones which is in the shed for a rainy day!
Old 6th Mar 2013, 9:35 pm   #9
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The black-fronted (Mitsubishi?) music centre next to your tatty Omex looks like a very nice bit of kit and would probably have cost many times more than the Omexes. How about a thread on that?
Old 6th Mar 2013, 10:25 pm   #10
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Yes, that's the Mitsubishi MC-7500 HiFi Music Centre i mentioned earlier in this thread, believe it or not, I got it off eBay for 11 + 9.99 postage what a steal!! ;

You can see the eBay listing where I won it here: Dead link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
Do set up an automatic search on eBay so that if one's listed, you'll know about it. I can't imagaine there would be anyone else interested so you might get a bargain.
Yes, I have set up sevrial searched but no Omex has ever been listed *going crazy here!*

If someone some day lists one for 0.99 and no one else bids cos thay think it's rubbish! I may well bag a bargain LOL!
Old 6th Mar 2013, 11:03 pm   #11
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

I should just add that, AFAIK, the circuits published by PW were newly designed for them and/or their Kit suppliers, though they may have been OMEX products. The Cabinets, scales, and Cassette decks were sourced from OMEX.
Old 7th Mar 2013, 10:31 am   #12
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Livewire, After doing a little googing to see if i could find that 1979 practical wirless mag which featured the music centre bits sourced from OMEX, i found a very interesting issue of practical wirless dated September 1978 which features an almost identical music centre to the Omex MC006 except its badged under a different name "Wimborne" (see photo below)

Now to update my eBay search thingy for a "Wimborne music centre"

Quote:
The black-fronted (Mitsubishi?) music centre next to your tatty Omex looks like a very nice bit of kit and would probably have cost many times more than the Omexes. How about a thread on that?
That's NOT a tatty Omex! - It's one of the best ones out of the 4 i've got! which I only received 2 days ago... though compared to the Mitsubishi I see your point lol
Old 7th Mar 2013, 10:41 am   #13
'LIVEWIRE?'
Dekatron

Bittyboy, that is the Music Centre of which i spoke - I was a year out when I said 'published in 1979(well it was a long time ago!) Over a period of 3 or 4 issues, PW covered the design, construction, setting up, and assembly of the complete 'Wimborne' Music Centre-so called because, at that time, PW Mag. was based in Wimborne, Dorset. As noted earlier, I built, and used a Wimborne for several years, before selling it, having acquired a Sharp SG500E in the meantime.
As to the 'Wimborne', I still have, tucked away in a box, all three or four issues of PW with the constructional articles and circuits, etc. involved, along with other issues of PW, etc. covering some 10 or 11 years.

Last edited by 'LIVEWIRE?'; 7th Mar 2013 at 10:52 am.
Old 7th Mar 2013, 11:01 am   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittyboy View Post
I found a very interesting issue of practical wirless dated September 1978
I like the lady's slightly forced smile. I think she's thinking "He knew I wanted that lovely Mitsubishi, but he made me this instead, the mean *@$%*. And ever since he's turned the back of the living room into a workshop, I keep burning my feet on the fire."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bittyboy View Post
That's NOT a tatty Omex! - It's one of the best ones out of the 4 i've got! which I only received 2 days ago
My apologies, I was drawn to the other machine and wasn't looking at it closely.

Nick.
Old 7th Mar 2013, 6:38 pm   #15
Bittyboy
Tetrode

No problem Nick I forgive you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
As to the 'Wimborne', I still have, tucked away in a box, all three or four issues of PW with the constructional articles and circuits, etc. involved, along with other issues of PW, etc. covering some 10 or 11 years.
Livewire, that's amazing that I stumbled on the very same music centre that you were saying about, I am so curious that I bought that same mag of PW and can't wait for it to arrive in the post to have a good read up

I think that the firm OMEX was taken over/sold to "PW" (not the magazine practical wirless! which we call PW for short) Omex chenged its name to "PW" and the model "MC006" was changed to "Wimborne" instead of MC006.

Now I think we know what became of Omex products limited

Great piece of history!
Old 7th Mar 2013, 6:53 pm   #16
Bittyboy
Tetrode

...now I'm starting to think I was wrong after reading your post carefully Livewire, The "PW" is for Practical Wireless, and Practical wirless must have got full permission/copyright to copy this music centre and make it as a kit form for people to have fun building it up from scratch and also buying the monthly issues of PW as well!

Quote:
I like the lady's slightly forced smile.
LOL hahaha!
Old 9th Mar 2013, 1:56 am   #17
ben
Dekatron

The deck in your Omex is a BSR C123 by the look of it, but the Winborne is the P128 single player. Probably as it came later.
As has been said, I have never heard of that brand. And I used to frequent TJ's in Liverpool and Birkenhead!
The cassette section looks like a sanyo manufacture. Does the FF key lock down?
Old 9th Mar 2013, 10:25 am   #18
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Hi Ben, thanks for your imput

Yes you are quite right, the BSR record deck is indeed a C123 and the auto/stack (where your records drop 1 after the other everytime you pull the sliding switch to "Auto") still works well on the two best Omex MC006's which I now have.

As for the cassette deck, It was made by Orion and the motors were then chenged to more reliable ones from 1976 to 77/78.

Yes the Fast forward/rewind keys do lock down and are only released when you press Play or Eject.

Despite TJ's closing so many of its branches up here (we've now lost the one in Ellesmere Port) the one in Birkenhead still is going strong after a long closure last summer (2012)
Old 29th Mar 2013, 8:29 pm   #19
Bittyboy
Tetrode

Hi everyone,

Its been a while since I was on this thread, Sadly it seems that no one out there has still got a very early OMEX MC006 Music centre from the first year or second year of production with "OMEX MC006" written in big bold white writing either side of the OMEX bull's eye logo

eBay is a dead beat, every vintage music CENTRE except an OMEX!! even any OMEX product! so chances of finding an 1972/73 OMEX MC006 receiver music centre is pretty grim at the moment

If somebody out there does come across an OMEX MC006 MUSIC CENTRE that has "OMEX MC006" written in big bold white writing either side of the OMEX bull's eye logo PLEASE POST HERE THE DETAILS/PICS OR LIST IT ON EBAY FOR ME

Will pay 200-300 (must post to north west UK)

Last edited by Bittyboy; 29th Mar 2013 at 8:37 pm.
Old 29th Mar 2013, 8:58 pm   #20
merlinmaxwell
Dekatron

You can put an alert on ebay, it works. I think it's the 'wish list' bit in 'my ebay'.