UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Jun 2013, 11:27 am   #1
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Trade descriptions label

Hi,
Just found this in one of my many boxes of 'junk'. Apparently it was a the law to display this label on each item to comply with the trade descriptions act 1972. I presume it's no longer a requirement. Anyone else have any more info? For example, would everything have to bear such a label, or just consumer goods?
Cheers, Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5037.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	80385   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5038.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	80386  
Old 1st Jun 2013, 12:08 pm   #2
Station X

Default Re: Trade descriptions label

The UK Trade Descriptions Act is dated 1968. The 1972 act probably originated in another country.

I believe the 1968 Act was replaced by The EU Unfair Commercial Practices Directive.

The Consumer Protection Act comes into it somewhere too.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 1st Jun 2013, 4:48 pm   #3
hamid_1
Heptode

There was a law which said that all goods which were not made in the UK had to be marked with their country of origin. That was the purpose of the label in your photo.

The Trade Descriptions Act required all goods to be as described, including their country of origin. The Trade Descriptions Act may have been superseded by EU legislation now. Not sure if it still applies. For example most Vestel products (the cheap TVs, set top boxes sold in supermarkets) are not marked as "Made in Turkey", although they are.

In any case, the country of origin can become blurred. Manufacturers were still allowed to put "Made in UK" on goods which were assembled here from imported parts.
Old 3rd Jun 2013, 11:04 am   #4
dominicbeesley
Octode

1972 Trades Description Act (with some cases about Made In X) appear to be from Malaysia - is that where your box was headed?
Old 3rd Jun 2013, 4:06 pm   #5
camtechman
Nonode

This label is stuck on the inside of the cassette compartment lid on a 1969 Pye Cambridge (made by Philips).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgp3097.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	80481   Click image for larger version

Name:	Imgp3098.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	80482