UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd Jun 2022, 9:45 am   #1
phil_fw
Triode

Default Tandberg series 15.

My series 15 performs OK but recently developed a glitch whereby the motor won't turn when selecting play. It is an intermittent problem which suggests it may be bad contacts. I opened the box and can see the function selector switch mechanism but I am wondering where the actual electrical switch is located. Would appreciate guidance before I dismantle more than I need to. Thanks
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 12:34 pm   #2
ben
Dekatron

Default Re: Tandberg series 15.

The motor switch is located in the area under the pinch roller. Check/clean the aluminium tape end feeler arm and linkages, which also activate this switch - these get gummed up. Clean those first before trying to dismantle anything. This is a very delicate mech.
Old 23rd Jun 2022, 5:00 pm   #3
phil_fw
Triode

many thanks
Old 6th Jul 2022, 10:33 am   #4
phil_fw
Triode

Hi all

I was adjusting my Tandberg - issues with spool torque.. and afterwards there was this "thing" on the table. Perhaps someone could identify it?

It has 18 80 stamped on the surface.

Looks important.

Thanks
Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thing.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	260519  
Old 6th Jul 2022, 10:37 am   #5
phil_fw
Triode

Hi all

My Tandberg is working well mechanically and plays OK - but - after about 30 minutes the audio quality starts to diminish and distort with the audio level going down as well.
It isn't the heads... I think this feels like a heating problem somewhere in the electronics. If I turn it off for a while the audio is fine again.
Does anybody have a suggestion as to where to look for the problem.

Thanks
Phil
Old 6th Jul 2022, 10:47 am   #6
ben
Dekatron

Check the conditions of the amp module and the thermistor. Will look at my notes later and try to be a bit more specific!
Old 6th Jul 2022, 11:54 am   #7
phil_fw
Triode

It is made of Delrin and has those sloping surfaces that look like they are associated with operating clutch or brake mechanisms
Old 7th Jul 2022, 6:16 pm   #8
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Nothing obvious similar seen in the service manual, unfortunately the manual does not have exploded views (s) showing all parts.

David
Closed Thread