UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 31st Aug 2010, 9:34 pm   #1
Peter Kinnaird
Tetrode

Default Roberts R300 Speaker Spec

Hi All

I have just come by a nice little Roberts R300 at a bootsale, in nice general condition but the chassis and various parts were rattling around in the cabinet and the speaker leads cut, although the speaker was in situ.

Having extracted the chassis, and generally dismantled the set for cleaning and checking, when I have come to reassemble it the speaker seems to foul the circuit board, and I cant figure out how to put it all together neatly without the speaker rubbing hard against the board and distorting it which surely cant be right?
Then having looked here at one or two other R300's I am wondering if I have the correct speaker? There is a pic of another set with a similar speaker but the circuit board looks to be smaller. A set with a circuit board similar to mine looks as if it has a different speaker with a smaller magnet case but the pic is not that clear.

Can anyone enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.

peter kinnaird
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts 035.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	40028   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts 036.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	40029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts 037.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	40030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Roberts 038.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	136.6 KB
ID:	40031  
Old 31st Aug 2010, 9:48 pm   #2
dickiplast
Triode

Default Re: Roberts R300 Speaker Spec

Hi Peter

You need to rotate the speaker 90 degrees.

Ian
Old 31st Aug 2010, 10:14 pm   #3
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

For what it,s worth all my R300s have an oval speaker, and the R200 have round ones. Just to confuse you John.
Old 1st Sep 2010, 12:38 am   #4
ronbryan
Octode

The back of your set (picture 4) shows a R200 label. Surely this implies you have a R200, not a R300.

Ron
Old 1st Sep 2010, 10:45 am   #5
Peter Kinnaird
Tetrode

Thanks for responses. The plot thickens. Clearly this is a hybrid radio. I described it as R300...thats what it says on the Tuning dial. But as you point out Ron, the case is that of an R200. Perhaps I am trying to squeeze a quart into a pint pot!
Ian rotating the speaker 90 deg does not solve it. The speaker is not assymetric.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

Regards

Peter
Old 1st Sep 2010, 6:44 pm   #6
hkn102l
Retired Dormant Member

Just a thought: would you like an r300 case to suit the chassis?This to be free of course: but I need to cover expenses for p&p. please

Cheers
John
Old 1st Sep 2010, 10:24 pm   #7
Peter Kinnaird
Tetrode

John
Extreemly kind offer, naturally I would be delighted to cover the postage costs. Kindly let me know the P&P costs and your address so I can re-imburse you.
Thank you so much once again

regards Peter

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 2nd Sep 2010 at 12:05 pm. Reason: Address removed from post - please use PM.
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 7:28 am   #8
hkn102l
Retired Dormant Member

Ok Peter: I'll look out a green one and get it posted; you'll need to rescue the handle from the one you have and also the badge. It is easy to remove the badge from the other set by carefully melting the badge posts from the INSIDE with a soldering iron.
Cheers

John

Last edited by Brian R Pateman; 2nd Sep 2010 at 12:05 pm. Reason: Address removed from quote.
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 9:31 am   #9
hkn102l
Retired Dormant Member

Hello again Peter: I've just checked the loft and can only find a RED case: I'll include the eliptical speaker so the postage, via parcel force, will be about £4.50.
Does the above fill the bill?

Cheers
John
Old 2nd Sep 2010, 7:15 pm   #10
Peter Kinnaird
Tetrode

John

Red/green it really doesnt matter (actually Red is probably better and archetypal Roberts). That really is good of you...and with an eliptical speaker! Wow. Very kind indeed. Can I pay you via paypal, all I would need is your paypal associated email address if you have one? Alternatively I can send you a cheque.

Will post some pics once it is assembled and give you a credit....also add you to my christmas card list!
Thanks once again.

Regards

Peter
Old 5th Sep 2010, 8:09 pm   #11
Peter Kinnaird
Tetrode

John

Here it is!!

Your R300 cabinet arrived Saturday morning. And what a nice one...and with a strap ....thank you so much. So nice I didnt even bother to clean it..sometimes a radio that says restored too obviously doesnt look quite right!

Anyway my R 300 chassis fitted perfectly, I just had to solder up the speaker leads, and solder on the battery connectors which for some reason were both severed.

Unfortunately the control knobs are all missing the brass inserts, but painted with ceramic gold they look quite reasonable.

Thanks to you I have a nice little Radio. Now looking for an R200 chassis to fit my R200 green cabinet!

I guess trhis should be re-filed under "Success Stories".

Thanks again.

Regards

Peter
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	coalport 068.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	40177   Click image for larger version

Name:	coalport 074.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	60.7 KB