UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Sep 2020, 5:53 am   #1
Paul Mathew
Pentode

Default Philips MW tuning

I have a B3X08, which has a close enough schematic to the B3X02: http://www.philipsradios.nl/Schemas/B3X02A.pdf
After a mains and, a few other dodgy cap replacements, the radio works well on both MW & FM.
I'm just not picking up a station near the lower end of the AM waveband (567kHz), even when the main tuning caps are fully meshed.
I was wondering whether trimming the local oscillator or main tuning padders, would be the way to go, in shifting the reception?
The trimmer caps, all appear to be the beehive type, with a healthy glob of paint on the adjusting nut, so I'm reluctant to start fiddling with that!
Old 14th Sep 2020, 8:38 am   #2
peter_scott
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips MW tuning

Hi Paul,

The trimmers are to adjust the other end of the scale. The oscillator coil is the adjustment for the 576kHz end. If that doesn't bring it in range then your IFs might be tuned to the wrong frequency.

Peter
Old 14th Sep 2020, 9:15 am   #3
Andrew2
Nonode

This is why some kind of calibrated sig gen is so valuable. You could set the radio to the bottom end of its coverage and manually sweep the gen upwards until you hear a signal. This would tell you how far the LO needed adjusting with the MW osc coil.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 9:52 am   #4
Paul Mathew
Pentode

Thanks for the input. I'll be taking the radio to a friend with all the equipment to run the tests you've suggested.
Old 14th Sep 2020, 3:34 pm   #5
boxdoctor
Rest in Peace

Have you checked for short-circuits on the tuning capacitor vanes when nearly fully enmeshed?
Just a thought. Tony.
Closed Thread