UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing

Notices

Cabinet and Chassis Restoration and Refinishing For help with cabinet or chassis restoration (non-electrical), please leave a message here.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Jan 2016, 2:45 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default "Sticking" stuff in a bakelite case and minor glueing of bakelite

Hi all

Sorry for the convoluted title - I have two questions...

I have now bought a cheap Bluetooth speaker which I hope to put inside a small Tesla speaker case I got over Christmas.

I know I can fix the speaker in place as there's a wooden board for that, but how would I go about attaching the other bits and pieces? from a quick glance the on/off switch and USB socket would need to be fixed so they could be used.

Is there a glue that's suitable that I could use (that wouldn't damage the bakelite) or would I be better off making some sort of wooden "chassis" to slot in (one which I could fix whatever's in the speaker I just bought)?

Secondly, the back panel has a small piece chipped off in one corner where one of the screws goes in. What's the best way to fix this? It will need some sort of strength due to the screw hole.

Thanks

Martin
Old 6th Jan 2016, 4:06 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: "Sticking" stuff in a bakelite case and minor glueing of bakelite

Epoxy resin adhesives (Araldite) will stick to bakelite.

But..

I would make no permanent changes to the cabinet, including gluing things to it. One day you might want to restore it to originality. So I would make up some kind of chassis, wood or metal, and fit the parts to that. If necessaey drill small screw holes in the bottom, but nothing more.

As regards the broken corner, is it that the corner has broken off (with a screw hole in the broken part) or is there a chip out of the corner, including part of the screw hole? If the former, you might have to put a metal 'patch' on the inside, held on with small screws through the panel. That is the sort of repair that, I think. would have been done when the unit was in general use. I guess I am a sufficient purist that I try to use the right type of screws (BA on an British unit, UNC on an American one, Metric on a continetal European one).
Old 6th Jan 2016, 4:36 pm   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

I thought as I posted that the chassis idea was the way to go. Of course that adds a level of complexity for someone like me with only embryonic woodworking skills!

At the risk of going off topic, is there somewhere I can get a selection of BA screws/ bolts/ washers? (although the ones on here would be metric I guess as it came from Hungary).
Old 6th Jan 2016, 4:46 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

A simple MDF "chassis" might be satisfactory.

Hot melt glue can be good for semi-permanent work like this.

N.
Old 6th Jan 2016, 5:17 pm   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Nick - I was thinking that. All I need is something that won't move so that the USB and switch can be used without disappearing sinside.

I have to say that the £5 speaker I got from ebay is almost too good to muck about with. But muck about I will all the same
Closed Thread