UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 23rd May 2010, 11:53 am   #21
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Akai Cams.

Hi.

I am working hard to make these available as soon as possible. In the meantime, please keep the help coming as it will be invaluable when the cams are available.

There is some confusion about which machines my new cam will suit. This is not helped by the fact that the manufacturers part listings appear to be incorrect. On paper the new cam 'should' be suitable for the 4000DS Mk2, and by implication the DB also, but I can confirm that it IS NOT. This is confirmed by two other experienced members who have looked into the matter.

So far I can confirm that the new cam will fit the 4000D, possibly the 4000 & 1721 and, with a little modification, probably the 1720L.

Since the manuals can't be trusted the only reliable solution is for members to post some nice digital photos of their machine's cam, together with accompanying model numbers.

Please keep your excellent help coming. It is really appreciated. In the interests of clarity, the attached is a pic of the new cam.

Cheers,
Roger.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cam Comparison 2.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	36188  
Old 23rd May 2010, 5:22 pm   #22
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Thanks Roger, sad news for my DB but at least it's working at the moment.
I would still be interested in having one or two of these replacement cams anyway in case a machine turns up that they do fit. Also I've got at least one 1721 knocking [not literally] about. NB-I'm not one of the experienced people Roger refers to but I may become so if something does break! Dave W
Old 27th May 2010, 6:49 pm   #23
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

What's the latest Roger,?

Colin.
Old 27th May 2010, 7:33 pm   #24
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Colin.

I am currently awaiting a response from the person involved in actually manufacturing the cams regarding quantities and price. Once I have some figures I'll post again with a list of probable matches and a price. I will be supplying these at cost so there will be no room for negotiation I'm afraid!

I will supply as a direct sale for those who know the cam is suitable (4000D owners for instance) and offer them on a 'try before you buy' basis for members who can't be sure. They'll be strictly limited in 'numbers per person' though, simply to discourage the morally bankrupt from making a killing out of other's efforts, by buying several and selling on at a profit.

Everything now hinges on the man with the tools....

Roger.
Old 28th May 2010, 8:39 am   #25
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

How is the other cam by another member coming along Roger, heard anything?

Colin.
Old 28th May 2010, 11:15 am   #26
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

No, things seem to have gone quiet there. Another good reason for consolidating the 'cam' threads. If I remember correctly, the other project was for the 4000DS. If that is the case it would be great!

Roger.
Old 6th Jun 2010, 11:08 am   #27
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Colin tells me has had a 4000DS (Mk1) in for repair and the cam is as per the 4000D.

So, it looks as if compatibility may be as follows:

4000D.
4000DS Mk1. - 4000DS Mk2 & DB are NOT compatible.
1720L (with a little adjustment).

and according to part numbers (caution required here!);
GX210D
X201D.

The jury is still out on the 1721.

I am still awaiting a response from 'the man with the tools' regarding numbers and costs. As soon as I have the info I will post the details.

Roger.
Old 6th Jun 2010, 12:26 pm   #28
Top Cap
Octode

Hi Roger, Just to confirm that I do wish to obtain a replacement RECORD cam for my 4000D when they are available. Have you considered replacement cams for the FWD/RWD and PLAY Function?
Les
Old 7th Jun 2010, 12:05 pm   #29
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Les.

Yours as soon as they are available. As for the other cams, judging by the length of time this is taking I doubt I have sufficient life span left.......

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 7th Jun 2010, 5:12 pm   #30
DOFFERY
Retired Dormant Member

Roger,

Can confirm the GX 210D has the same cam as yours for the 4000D.

Colin.
Old 8th Jun 2010, 11:31 am   #31
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Colin.

Thanks for that. Duly noted.

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 16th Jun 2010, 12:20 pm   #32
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Just a quick update. I have today spoken to the engineer and it seems the delay is caused by his attention to detail (he's not happy with the finished result yet) but things are now moving. Fingers crossed we may have a result shortly. He will be confirming costs soon.

In the meantime here's an updated compatibility list. The new cam will fit the following:

4000D.
4000DS Mk 1.
GX210D (Thanks to Colin for confirming this).

The new cam may fit the 1720L with some minor adjustment. - According to Akai's part list, it may suit the X201D but this can't be guaranteed.

The new cam WILL NOT suit:

4000DS Mk2.
4000DB.
GX4000DS.

Still no idea about the 1721.

In view of the confusion over 'what fits what', caused in part by incorrect official parts listings, I will be offering these on a sort of 'try before you buy' basis to forum members where there may be doubts about compatibility.

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 21st Jun 2010, 8:34 pm   #33
askhim8
Retired Dormant Member

It may help? The 1721 is the same as the 4000, 4000DS etc. Pic of two switch blocks; the spindle which the amp cam is on is a different angle to one another but only because of the electrical switch inside. It does things slightly different on the later version; the cam only switches the levers to activate the record mode and because the adjustment is so large and flexible accurate angles and so forth on the cam are not strictly necessary especially the front slopes or angles.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Switch Blocks.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	37189   Click image for larger version

Name:	GX4000D.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	37190  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 23rd Jun 2010 at 8:09 pm. Reason: Various F-K problems fixed.
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 12:19 pm   #34
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by askhim8 View Post
.....it may help?.....the 1721 is the same as the 4000, 4000DS etc......pic of two switch blocks, the spindle which the amp cam is on is a different angle to one another but only because of the electrical switch inside, it does things slightly different on the later version the cam only switches the levers to activate the record mode and because the adjustment is so large and flexible accurate angles and so forth on the cam are not strictly neccessary especially the front slopes or angles....
Hi.

Thanks for the input. However, we have to be very careful here. Your reference "the 1721 is the same as the 4000, 4000DS etc..." is a bit tricky as the 4000D cam is apparently compatible with the 4000DS Mk1, but NOT the 4000DS Mk2 or DB . Hence the confusion which has arisen over this subject - not helped by errors in Akai's own part numbers! I would very much like to know the actual position regarding compatibility of 4000D & 1721. Any chance of a pic of the 1721 cam, removed from the machine?

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 8:06 pm   #35
askhim8
Retired Dormant Member

......because of this cam difference i started to draw around the cam on paper whenever i serviced an Akai...... the cam went back into another 1721 which i sold on but this drawing remains in my collection of paper work, i have indeed serviced these models and is in line with your finds.....as you can see there are only two different cams on the paper, that is because there are only two so far that are different, when servicing i offered the cam up to whatever shape it matched so of course only two figures......picture is tatty but then it was only meant for my eyes...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Amplifier Cams.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	37247  
Old 22nd Jun 2010, 8:36 pm   #36
askhim8
Retired Dormant Member

.......i knew i had submitted the drawing before to you of this 1721 cam and here it is together with the cam

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...t=47541&page=2

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Amplifier Cam  1721.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	37249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amplifier Cams.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	37250  
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 11:13 am   #37
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Yes, sorry about that. I will post another updated 'compatibility list'. Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 11:20 am   #38
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Latest compatibility update.

The new cam will fit the following:

4000D.
4000DS Mk 1.
GX210D (Thanks to Colin for confirming this).
1721. (Thanks to 'askhim8' for confirmation).

The new cam may fit the 1720L with some minor adjustment, and according to Akai's part list it may suit the X201D, but this can't be guaranteed.

The new cam WILL NOT suit:

4000DS Mk2.
4000DB.
GX4000DS.

Still waiting on the engineer for the finished article and price.

In view of the confusion over 'what fits what', caused in part by incorrect official parts listings, I will be offering these on a sort of 'sale or return' basis to forum members where there may be doubts about compatibility.

Cheers,
Roger.
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 6:54 pm   #39
askhim8
Retired Dormant Member

I think you may need another update!

I had delivered today another GX-210D, upon stripdown I found it has the same cam as the GX-4000D. This is the second 201 that I have had as I wrote it down on that piece of paper, so now I have to write it down as well under the GX-4000D.

I haven't removed the cam as it is clearly visible which way the rod is in relation to the screw and highest cam point. We are looking at 1974/76 here and the GX-4000D is 1978/84 so what is going on? If you look at the pictures and compare, they are the same. I wondered if they used that cam as the adjustment is quite large on the levers with the nuts for the record switch to work with either.

One thing I did notice though when the front main lever goes onto the second part to the right to record the cam, wants to push it back to just play. You have to be determined as it will stay on record. It does make sense as when you look at the other cam the high part would be further around and when adjusted to work the record mode it will stay there more easily because of the angle of it........interesting!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	GX-210D.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	37274   Click image for larger version

Name:	GX4000D.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	37275  

Last edited by Darren-UK; 23rd Jun 2010 at 8:07 pm. Reason: Various F-K problems fixed.
Old 23rd Jun 2010, 9:38 pm   #40
Roger13
Retired Dormant Member

Hi.

Losing the will to live here......

Seriously, this just highlights to need to offer the cams on a sale or return basis. I shall still be writing this stuff down though, so please keep the info coming.

Cheers,
Roger.
Closed Thread