UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2016, 6:20 pm   #1
sp10mk11
Octode

Default Linn on TV

Nice to see the Linn factory and some of the operations involved in making the famous Son deck.
Absolutely no inside real information but was a good watch on Quest "how it works" last night.

Gary
Old 20th Apr 2016, 7:03 pm   #2
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Re: Linn on TV

I wonder if it will be on their catch up type player?
Old 21st Apr 2016, 9:40 pm   #3
mark pirate
Dekatron

Available for six days: http://www.questtv.co.uk/video/how-t...ork-episode-8/

Mark
Old 21st Apr 2016, 11:43 pm   #4
Philips210
Nonode

Thanks for the link to the video. That's certainly how turntables should be built. A quality product built by people that take pride in their work not like the junk turntables in a previous thread.

Symon.
Old 21st Apr 2016, 11:51 pm   #5
Martin Bush
Octode

Interesting stuff.

I'm sure turntables don't all need to be made to such high standards, but I'm as there's a real 'top end' of the industry still.

They just need to show the actor how to play a record from the start rather than half way through.
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 6:12 am   #6
Radio Wrangler

Vinyl seems to have become a noun for a specific item made from the material formerly meant by the word 'vinyl'

David
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 6:37 am   #7
Martin Bush
Octode

As in 'I've just bought a vinyl'? Yes, that irritates me. Also the idea that the 'vinyl sound' must have crackle.

Nice to see a piece of kit being made that makes the absolute most of the format. The video at least might educate a few as to what goes into a real record player.
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 2:40 pm   #8
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Is the mini amplifier being referred to a built in pre-amp? I was one told that turntables don't have built in pre-amps otherwise they would pick up noise from the motor?
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 4:48 pm   #9
Radio Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyDipole View Post
otherwise they would pick up noise from the motor?
And the moving coil cartridge won't?

It's one of those tales which get repeated until they become true. One of the lesser bits of pseudoscience in the audio business. If you can screen one, you can certainly screen the other. The shorter cables are good, and the local mounting avoids ground loops through other equipment coupling into the very sensitive connection between cartridge and preamp.

David
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 5:03 pm   #10
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Indeed. I would have thought that the length of RCA cable itself would impose a certain amount of loss which is not desirable. By having only a short wire from the stylus to the pre-amp you effectively eliminate that problem. I would expect good screening to eliminate any noise so I was rather puzzled by that assertion, but it was a long while ago and I was informed by people older and apparently wiser than me so I sort of filed that piece of information for future reference. It was therefore interesting to see that Linn fit a pre-amp directly into their turntable. You point about avoiding ground loops is also a good one.
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 6:27 pm   #11
Hartley118
Nonode

My Ortofon MC cartridge and screened cable pick up a low level burbling noise background from the Linn motor and/or its electronics. Must get round to fixing it sometime, but it's generally masked by the disc surface noise when actually playing.

Martin
Old 22nd Apr 2016, 7:18 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Philips and B&O definitely used to fit MM preamps into their better decks as an optional extra.
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 9:02 am   #13
barretter
Heptode

It's a moving-coil cartridge pre-pre-amplifier not an RIAA stage. It's only fitted to one of their current range of turntables. Strangely, when I looked at the "How it is made" programme about a turntable on Quest, it was about a completely different brand with a carbon-fibre tone arm.
Old 23rd Apr 2016, 10:24 am   #14
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Ah, thanks for the clarification.
Old 24th Apr 2016, 8:34 pm   #15
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

The brand of turntable being manufactured in the programme is Wilson-Benesch.

Richard Brice has come up with an on-cartridge buffer for moving magnet cartridges which looks interesting - I'm playing with one at the moment.
Old 26th Apr 2016, 3:28 pm   #16
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Yes, interesting to see two very different turntables discussed on two separate but similar programmes. I found the Linn one rather more convincing when it came to precision and quality.
Old 26th Apr 2016, 4:20 pm   #17
stevehertz
Dekatron

Just don't take everything that Ivor Tiefenbrun says as being 'fact'. He makes a total fool of himself in test 9 here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/486598/test...aims-and-myths