UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Television and Video

Notices

Vintage Television and Video Vintage television and video equipment, programmes, VCRs etc.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Dec 2017, 12:37 pm   #41
AidanLunn
Heptode

Default Re: A poor old HMV at the Recycling Centre...

With the greatest of respect to some members here, it's no use trying to make any dealings with site operatives anymore, you have to go to the person in the local or county council who is in charge of refuse collections. It's better to take photographs of the TV (or whatever) in question then email the person responsible attaching the photos of the item so they can then pass on those to the site operatives to identify what item to save.

It's worked well so far for me and is a more practical solution than sitting on an internet forum complaining about how times have changed.

You can still ask people, just that person is now usually someone in a more official capacity.

Just airing my thoughts,
Aidan Lunn
Old 6th Dec 2017, 12:46 pm   #42
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Good luck with your approach, Aidan, fingers crossed.
Old 6th Dec 2017, 12:54 pm   #43
Martin Bush
Octode

I agree Aidan. I was suggesting a more systematic approach along similar lines to you earlier in the thread which may benefit more of us. I have some knowledge of the subject and you have direct experience.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 11:18 am   #44
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I never have much success trying to cut through bureaucracy.

Peter
Old 7th Dec 2017, 11:35 am   #45
CambridgeWorks
Nonode

Sad to say but I feel G6Tanuki sums it up. I once asked if I could have a radio, but a definite "NO" was given, due to WEEE regulations. I asked if I could just have the pull-off knobs. The reply was that it would be considered "Tampering with the said item under the regulations" and again forbidden.
Like some say, our site does have an "unofficial" stash of items in a corner. I can only imagine it is for perks of the job?
There is always freecycle, of which I am a member. I rarely ask or receive anything, but often put items on there. In fact, our 9 yr old Hotpoint auto washer, fully working, will be going on this weekend.
One result I did get to a request was a fully working Toshiba laptop, fresh install of Win 7 and complete with legal cd.
I think if more people used freecycle, the likes of the OP might just be reduced....a little.
At least with ebay, it doesnt end up at the recycling skip.
Rob
Old 7th Dec 2017, 3:16 pm   #46
Martin Bush
Octode

I’ve read all the contributions on this thread (some may have read that I chipped in earlier) and have also done some research and there should be a simple solution to this.

It does depend on the particular waste authority (usually county council) but on the whole I am told most would be open to helping save historic items from oblivion. There are examples of this on the forum (Aidan for instance) and also ones I have been told about today in person. As I said, while I am not a time-served engineer or have the skills of many on this forum, I do have a background that sometimes helps with things like this.

If you see something that you think is worth saving start by speaking to the site operative. If they can’t help then see if they can give you a contact number of someone to speak to. Failing that, get on to the county council. You will need to act quickly of course.

However this would only save items that you happen to spot while you are there.

I still think that there is value in a more proactive approach which would involve an organisation of some sort - could be BVWS or could even be this forum - making contact with the various councils and making a simple request that if certain items come up that they are contacted. This is something that already happens in some areas in respect of certain types of items.

If anyone is interested in developing this idea please send me a direct message. Otherwise we will continue to be in the same position with a few members being successful in saving an item here and there and periodically debating the same things.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 3:57 pm   #47
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

To shine a little light on an otherwise depressing discussion.

It is the custom with some families around here to leave items that have have been replaced or outgrown their use outside on the pavement. Mainly things like children's toys, buggies, and car seats, but some electrical items too. This is very much a cultural thing of the communities involved, and the LA does not get involved or chooses to turn a blind eye, I am sure that won't necessarily be the case elsewhere.

Off the top of my head, I have acquired
A full size bicycle that required some TLC that I subsequently gave away
A BMX bike for my grandson when he is big enough
An upright vacuum cleaner, just needed a belt, now in daily use
and...
...An exercise treadmill, I thought it was going to need a new motor which would have cost £50, but found that I could un-seize it by stripping it down and filling the melted excess plastic off the armature.

OK, no DAC90s or TV22s as yet, but you never know!
Old 7th Dec 2017, 5:50 pm   #48
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo1152 View Post
To shine a little light on an otherwise depressing discussion.

It is the custom with some families around here to leave items that have have been replaced or outgrown their use outside on the pavement. Mainly things like children's toys, buggies, and car seats, but some electrical items too. This is very much a cultural thing of the communities involved, and the LA does not get involved or chooses to turn a blind eye, I am sure that won't necessarily be the case elsewhere.
There was something similar in some urban areas in The Netherlands: an appointed day every couple of months when 'stuff' that's no longer wanted was put out at the roadside in the morning and anyone who wanted it could have it. If it was still there later in the day the local authority garbage-collectors scooped it up and took it away.

Not sure if it still happens: I kinda suspect not, and that residents now have to sort their junk into a profusion of different-coloured boxes instead.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 6:40 pm   #49
turretslug
Dekatron

It was also certainly the case some 40 years ago growing up as a kid in (West) Germany- there was a period of grace, effectively mid-morning, when stuff was put out onto the pavement, ceased to be the property of the original owner and was open to anyone before the collection lorry came round. A refreshingly pragmatic approach to re-use, re-cycle. Again, I suspect that things have tightened up since.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 7:09 pm   #50
greenstar
Octode

Freecycle is excellent. It has some issues - you can get messed about by people who reply immediately and then don't follow up, so you need to choose so far as possible who to gift to - don't take the first one - but this is a great Citizen's response to the recycling centres that things only leave as scrap. Unfortunately it's a minority thing, but it works well.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 8:03 pm   #51
emeritus
Dekatron

Being able to take stuff put out for collection was still the practice in Paris as of 5 years ago.

While the old council dump where I used to live is now privatised and strictly supervised (you need to show proof of residency to get in), it does have an area where you can leave unwanted items of furniture etc. for anyone to take away.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 8:22 pm   #52
Philips210
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter.N. View Post
I never have much success trying to cut through bureaucracy.
Me too Peter, couldn't have put it better myself.

Regards
Symon.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 8:38 pm   #53
dseymo1
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turretslug View Post
It was also certainly the case some 40 years ago growing up as a kid in (West) Germany- there was a period of grace, effectively mid-morning, when stuff was put out onto the pavement, ceased to be the property of the original owner and was open to anyone before the collection lorry came round. A refreshingly pragmatic approach to re-use, re-cycle. Again, I suspect that things have tightened up since.
And, indeed, here in the UK.
All sorts of stuff was put out for the 'bin men', and no-one cared at all if someone who could use it took it away in the meantime.
I think the safety / litigation excuse is spurious. Many vehicles, for example, are sold for 'spares and repair', often having failed an MOT test; it's accepted by all involved that they are not safe to use as they stand, which doesn't prevent the sale.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 9:02 pm   #54
The General
Hexode

A couple of years ago in Frankfurt I saw household items stacked outside flats for collection by the neighbours. Decent looking stuff, not rubbish. I've done the same myself at home -put things outside with a note saying 'free to a good home' etc. I hate waste, I'd rather give stuff away than dump it & I'll only take something to the tip if it's truly worthless.
Mark
Old 7th Dec 2017, 9:29 pm   #55
sobell1980
Octode

Good evening all. It's not often I add comments to such threads but being local to me and knowing the tip I thought I would add. I agree with Martin Bush entirely. It's no good going on about how bad and what a shame it is. A pro active approach would for sure seal the security of this TV set. The operatives are not monster's or alien. I'm sure in future and this time around speaking to one of them to raise the concern with the site manager is all that is needed. I'm sure although they will not let you take it away that they aren't unkind or monstrous enough not to keep it to one side till the issue can be resolved and the necessary bodies or authorities have got involved. I'm sure that Solihull borough council would be more than happy to help save this set and get some publicity from it too. It could make some great local news with all involved and bring some more awareness to keep history alive. I think we should listen to Martin's advice and make swift proactive action on this, before it brings too much attention and 'dissapears'. An email or Phone Call to the right person at the council is all that is needed. A donation to a supported charity or similar .
Local news could read 'Historic TV saved from landfill by entheusiast'. I went to one tip where they save items and are sold on, so it must be allowed. I've seen another down south where it's piled up and allowed to be recycled. I'm sure amongst us forum members it can and will be saved. Let's make this a happy ending.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 10:03 pm   #56
AC/HL
Dekatron

I've seen a couple of things recently with a sign saying "please take, possibly because of the tightening up of refuse collections generally.
Old 7th Dec 2017, 11:45 pm   #57
Station X

If you're going to leave stuff out on a "please take me basis" I'd remove all serial numbers and identifying marks. Don't leave it in a box with your address on either.

Why? Well if the item subsequently gets fly tipped and is traced back to you, you'll face a fine for "failing in your duty to control waste under the Environmental Protection Act 1990.

This is not a scare story it's actually happened in Norfolk.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 8th Dec 2017, 12:08 am   #58
Michael Maurice

To add to Graham's post, the local authorities are clamping down hard on flytipping

Our borough and neighbouring ones have become eyesores because people dump all sorts or rubbish out on the streets and pavements, things like mattresses and beds, furniture etc.

The problem stems from the fact that a) you have to pay to have bulky items collected and b) it can take several weeks.

Leave it in the street and it gets taken away the next day for free.

My Council has put into place flytipping enforcement cars that are supposed to prevent this sort of things, but the lazy so and so's tend to issue fines to people who stub out cigarette butts on the street or drop rubbish inadvertently. I've never known them to catch a flytipper!

Now

What you can do is contact your local Councillors. Put it to them that by allowinCouncil see sense.g you to remove certain items, you are in fact preserving a part of history, see if they can make the

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 8th Dec 2017, 1:01 am   #59
Martin Bush
Octode

I will duck out of this after this post as I think the thread has gone off course somewhat.

I think the original thrust was the issue of valuable (to us) items being found at household waste recycling centres and the desire to rescue them from the waste system. Our view is, I think, that doing this would preserve irreplaceable items and parts and also prevent items becoming waste.

This is something I know about as I work for a waste disposal authority. I have suggested a route that could be explored and how it could work. This could help not only when a member happens to be fortunate enough to spot a TV or radio set, but whenever an item of that type appears at a waste centre.

If this idea is to be followed up I will need some support. It could come from this forum or I could sound out BVWS direct. Apart from one or two exceptions above I feel nobody has been interested or I've not been clear enough.
Old 8th Dec 2017, 3:11 am   #60
Maarten
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Station X View Post
If you're going to leave stuff out on a "please take me basis" I'd remove all serial numbers and identifying marks. Don't leave it in a box with your address on either.
Serial numbers on equipment more than a few years old would be virtually untraceable and are important to collectors. I would remove other identifying marks such as postal codes and name/address labels, though.
Closed Thread